Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Giulia QV (Rosso Comp, Black/Red interior, Sparcos)
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking away from my car today after locking it in the garage and noticed a bunch of vertical cracks in the headlamp. Upon closer inspection it looks like they're stress cracks. The cracks run the depth of the lens from what it looks like.

I've sent pics to the service advisor at my local dealership and intend to make sure it's replaced under warranty, but I haven't experienced anything like this before.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Might be some shipping damage. Looks like it got clobbered by something long and thin.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Interesting. Will inspect mine.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might be some shipping damage. Looks like it got clobbered by something long and thin.
I don't think so. I drove the car 500 miles home and then hand washed it as soon as I got it inside, having to pay special attention to the headlights and front bumper to get all of the bugs off. If it was shipping damage I would have noticed it at that time.

I've also been washing it regularly since delivery by hand. We had some really high temperature days lately - in the range of 108 degrees F. That was my first thought is maybe with the direct sunlight and high temperatures this lens just didn't hold up.

Google images on stress cracks in headlights look really similar to what I'm seeing, though at a different scale. My cracks are taller and more spread out. But the characteristics of the cracks (clean, thin, directional) seem consistent.

Either way, these will be the weakest headlamps on any of my recent cars if this isn't just a manufacturing/installation defect.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Aha! Heat stress. And I did wonder if you had been driving it for a while.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Have to say that I have never experienced anything like that to my headlight lenses....really odd indeed...:surprise:
almost look like claw scratches down the front...
nothing in the rear??

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Most likely some debris hit you or a car touched you in parking lot...it looks like something narrow and vertical pressed against the lamp, stress marks are consistent with such press

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer agreed. Doesn't look like there was any impact. Looks like a defect of some sort. New headlight was ordered on Saturday after an in-person inspection. Covered by warranty.

Reactions: 407Guy

·
Registered
869 Posts
In engineering school we used to identify stress cracks in plastic using polarized lenses. You shouldn't have any good sunglasses laying around would you? You'll see a rainbow effect showing the stress.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Wouldn't "stress cracking" be more likely at the periphery where possible expansion from heat and flexing from movement would likely create a "stress"...???

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
I was walking away from my car today after locking it in the garage and noticed a bunch of vertical cracks in the headlamp. Upon closer inspection it looks like they're stress cracks. The cracks run the depth of the lens from what it looks like.

I've sent pics to the service advisor at my local dealership and intend to make sure it's replaced under warranty, but I haven't experienced anything like this before.
Be sure that your dealer checks the fit of the replacement headlights and that he verifies that all spacers and such are installed. If the headlight housing is hard up against something that it is not supposed to touch you could have the observed problem without any fault in the headlight housing.

Once upon a time Ford had a lot of problems with repeated transmission failures. Dealers would rebuild the transmission and they would fail again. The problem was eventually traced to inaccurately bored bearing seats in the housing and the dealers were replacing everything except the defective housing. The moral of this story being: most parts don't fail for no reason, be sure to look for something that may have caused the failure. It might be evident in the failed part (gasket not installed right?) or the surrounding parts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In engineering school we used to identify stress cracks in plastic using polarized lenses. You shouldn't have any good sunglasses laying around would you? You'll see a rainbow effect showing the stress.
I was walking away wearing polarized sunglasses when I noticed the issue ;)

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Seriously? I figured he meant polarized lenses. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts