Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I recently got my Giulia, and over the past few weeks I have accumulated quite a few modifications. I first started off my installing the spoiler off of the QV. I also just ordered carbon fiber mirrors and door handles.

From the moment I picked up the car, I loved the tone of the exhaust. I just wished that it was a little bit louder. I spent lots of time looking for custom exhaust options for the car, but no company has released one for it yet. So I decided to go the custom route. I took it down to a local muffler shop and had them remove the resonator, but it honestly didn't make any difference at all. Then I drove right back to them and said "man, its not loud enough". He said "ill remove the muffler if you want... but its gonna be too loud". I told him to try it as you can always put it back on.

Let me just say it turned out PERFECT. The sound and tone is absolutely mind blowing. Its not too loud (about the same volume as a stock mustang GT) and has beautiful sounds on upshifts and downshifts. It also has no drone at all at high speeds and honestly you can't even tell a difference from stock (at higher speeds) other than if you are really stepping on it.

The shop only charged me $160 for the whole thing, and its definitely money well spent.

I will be attaching a video with before and afters of the exhaust soon.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello everybody, I recently got my Giulia, and over the past few weeks I have accumulated quite a few modifications. I first started off my installing the spoiler off of the QV. I also just ordered carbon fiber mirrors and door handles.

From the moment I picked up the car, I loved the tone of the exhaust. I just wished that it was a little bit louder. I spent lots of time looking for custom exhaust options for the car, but no company has released one for it yet. So I decided to go the custom route. I took it down to a local muffler shop and had them remove the resonator, but it honestly didn't make any difference at all. Then I drove right back to them and said "man, its not loud enough". He said "ill remove the muffler if you want... but its gonna be too loud". I told him to try it as you can always put it back on.

Let me just say it turned out PERFECT. The sound and tone is absolutely mind blowing. Its not too loud (about the same volume as a stock mustang GT) and has beautiful sounds on upshifts and downshifts. It also has no drone at all at high speeds and honestly you can't even tell a difference from stock (at higher speeds) other than if you are really stepping on it.

The shop only charged me $160 for the whole thing, and its definitely money well spent.

We want pics!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Pradeep: I removed the mufflers from my Mercedes c300. Sounded great on start up, however it had alot of drone. How is the overall drone. Also I understand that turbo motors need a certain amount of back pressure. Have noticed any significant changes on the performance.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Please post images of the underside of the Giulia. Before and after, if possible.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Wow this is fantastic. Good choice on mods, I haven't seen many modified Giulias yet but the ones that were were honestly pretty lousy. This one sounds really well done. Please include pictures

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great initiative! Pics and sound clips, otherwise we are wasting zeros' and ones.
As far as I have heard with Turbo engines, less back pressure from exhaust is the way to go as long as you don't go ludicrous when opening from the downpipe exit but if anyone knows better please input...cant wait to hear the free flow exhaust version of the 2.0T, I like the quietness' but I agree its just a tad too quite for my taste...

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many of you mentioned that the turbo engines require back pressure, and that is completely true, but I looked into the amount of back pressure needed and about 95% of it is held at the cats. This means removing the resonator and the mufflers only reduces back pressure by about 5% which is not even detectable on a dyno much less driving. On the other had the removal of the resonator and the mufflers frees up the exhaust significantly and therefor makes the car more responsive. Ultimately the car feels noticeably more responsive and faster overall.

I am currently out of town, but will be back in the next 2 hours, I will post photos and video then. Stay Tuned!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, I have been driving on the highway at speeds between 65 and 100 all day today and there is some slight drone when in 6th gear, but there is absolutely no drone in 7th and 8th gear (which you are supposed to use on highways).

·
Registered
580 Posts
Many of you mentioned that the turbo engines require back pressure, and that is completely true,
The engine does not need back pressure after the turbo. The less pressure there, the better from a performance standpoint. Exhaust pressure between the exhaust valves and the turbo is a bit of a different discussion, but all the stuff being discussed here is after the turbo, and after the turbo, less pressure is better.

but I looked into the amount of back pressure needed and about 95% of it is held at the cats. This means removing the resonator and the mufflers only reduces back pressure by about 5% which is not even detectable on a dyno much less driving. On the other had the removal of the resonator and the mufflers frees up the exhaust significantly and therefor makes the car more responsive. Ultimately the car feels noticeably more responsive and faster overall.

I am currently out of town, but will be back in the next 2 hours, I will post photos and video then. Stay Tuned!!!
I think it's a certainty that you made the car faster. How much faster is probably a question, but with better exhaust flow and slightly reduced weight, it has to be a little better.

Greg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello guys, sorry about the delay, but here are the pictures and video.

The video of the exhaust does not do it justice, it sounds much much better in person. It is quite a bit deeper than it seems in the video.

here is the video link:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
That sounds as nice as 2 liter turbo ever will.....also looks great in red with sunroof and that spoiler, looking forward to pics of it when you add rest of carbon, it will be quite a looker

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
wow quite a difference! Do like the spit sound when revving. Spoiler looks great too, good job!!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds great Pradeep! Where did you order/buy the spoiler from?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

BTW, is this AWD or RWD

1 - 20 of 137 Posts