Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Stop and Start causing problems

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Paquito 
#1 · (Edited)
Three or four times a month when starting the car first thing in the morning, it shakes, revs go up and down, un-burned fuel from the exhaust, warning lights: Start and Stop System failure, and Engine Check. Engaged D and try to drive off, still shaking and no power, only improves at the end of the street. All OK now but warning lights still on and wont disappear for a couple of days. Sounds familiar or Am I the only one with this problem that's been recurring from day one and apparently can't be fixed or there's not enough knowledge (three different dealers) to resolve it. Start Stop has not worked since the last service at 60K

Very disappointed with the brand, love everything else about the car.
One thing I don't get is why Australia not on the same level of service as the United States e.g. maps up date, service history on line, etc.

Alfa Romeo Giulia Super. manufactured in December 2016, 63,000 kms, bought new.

I read recently on the US giulia forum that when the BCM -Body Control Module was replaced the problen went away.
It's a small circuit board located under the dasboard on the passenger side.
Next time it happens I'll suggested to the dealer.

Modify message

See less See more
#3 ·
Same level of service as the US?. I think you haven't read many of the threads and posts in this Giulia forum. As far as I understand in the readings, dealerships network, dealerships capability and dealerships customer service are tied as the #1 issue of the Brand in the US.

I agree with the above post. Battery may be root cause. 80% of the issues are resolved with either a new battery or a full re-charge of the current, if still good.

#4 ·
I had the engine light come on and the stop/start not working and thought it was the battery, ended up been a software problem with regards to the water pump a known issue but they still slugged be $150.00.

However, I recharged the battery twice and each time the fault came back. As above rule out the battery given the symptoms and honestly if the dealership can't fix it raise a case with FCA and ring them every couple of days and harrass.

#6 ·
I have the exact same issue ( UK ) full diagnostics done, New battery, New water pump required, this was picked up from the rear window heating not working, Garage told me fuse was blowing, not sure how the water pump works in to that issue.

New battery is going in next week as is the water pump replacement and also while it was in there they noticed an issue with fan blower output from the heating system via the front dash vents and driver footwell, thats getting sorted as well i am assuming that may be a crapped up filter.

I have also gone through the whole dash warning lights coming on like a christmas tree, but once the battery has been on charge most clear on start the rest clear on the turn steering right, hold for 2 seconds, turn left and hold for 2 seconds, switch off and back on
Stop start has not worked for ever :) which is a god send anyway

thank god for extended warranty

#5 · (Edited)
Three or four times a month when starting the car first thing in the morning, it shakes, revs go up and down, un-burned fuel from the exhaust, warning lights: Start and Stop System failure, and Engine Check. Engaged D and try to drive off, still shaking and no power, only improves at the end of the street. All OK now but warning lights still on and wont disappear for a couple of days. Sounds familiar or Am I the only one with this problem that's been recurring from day one and apparently can't be fixed or there's not enough knowledge (three different dealers) to resolve it. Start Stop has not worked since the last service at 60K

One thing I don't get is why Australia not on the same level of service as the United States e.g. maps up date, service history on line, etc.

Modify message
Ask the dealer to check the battery relay as that has been a main issue for the early models.

#8 ·
This happened to me once as well, just as you described but also had "Service Electronic Throttle Control" error.

Second day of ownership, went to start it up, engine shake/misfire, bad smell from exhaust/excessive smoke. Turned it off & on same thing. Drove around the block in limp mode and it went away after a minute but the CEL and other lights remained.

Unplugged battery, did code resets, and all has been well since (knock on wood). Since then I have religiously been turning off auto stop/start as soon as I start it up and plan to get the relay to do so permanently.

Interested to see if you find the root cause. Best of luck!

#12 ·
I agree. The battery may be just good enough and starts the car at once, with no issues. But, that does not mean that the battery is good to support all what this cars require, with no faults. For example, a battery can be at 12.27v and it is not good. It starts the car all the time at once but, it isn't good because it can't keep at 12.8v which is where it should be. I would not rule it out and I know that the dealerships do not want to change it.

#13 ·

Modify message
My car has been a bit rough the last few weeks when idling at traffic lights, in either Drive or Neutral. So last week I let the fuel go down to 2 bars / 60km DTE, and I filled up at a different petrol station (this time BP 98 instead of my regular Shell 98), and it's been smooth as silk now! Hoping it stays that way.

Might be worth a try.

#20 ·
My Veloce was intermittently exhibiting similar symptoms, usually after heavy rain or damp conditions. First time (just after I bought the car last May, at approx 2 y/o) the dealer reckoned it was a dodgy spark plug, and replaced that. Was ok for a while - but as the weather got worse recently, it started happening more regularly again.

2nd trip to the dealer, and they changed the multi air valve. I mentioned about the link to damp conditions, but they didn't report finding anything obviously wrong. They did admit to having to do the same work for a couple of cars - and touch-wood, despite pretty damp conditions since then (few months ago), all has been ok. This was the UK Alfa dealer in Nuneaton btw, who I'm very happy with.

#21 ·
Replaced my OEM battery with an Interstate H8, AGM, 900 amp CCA rating battery in hopes of eliminating this periodic "start/stop" issue. Made sure it was fully charged. Two days later, "start/stop not working" light appears for fifth time in two months. Once again it lasted a couple of days and then disappeared. Don't believe my (Florida) dealer knows what is going on and now assume I will turn the car in 11 months from now when lease ends, rather than keep it. A pity that such a common problem is such a puzzle.

#22 ·

I read recently on the US giulia forum that when the BCM -Body Control Module was replaced the problen went away.
It's a small circuit board located under the dasboard on the passenger side.
Next time it happens I'll suggested to the dealer.

Modify message
The battery was replaced this year by NRMA but it didn't solve the problem.