Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my Ti Q4 for a little over 2 months now and have about 2400 miles on it. The car, as almost all of them here in the New England region came with the All Season P7 runflats... which are dreadfull. Besides even CarAndDriver complaining about the stock all season tires being horrible for performance numbers on these cars, they also are just way too harsh and have zero grip.

I complained on the multiple test drives I went on before I purchased my car and said if I buy it, I want the tires switched out for something thats comparable to this cars performance capabilities. They said no problem pick a tire. Delivery day came, had P7's, then I said well should we schedule that appointment to switch the tires? They said nope we cant do anything about it sorry, they will loosen up and have more grip after being driven a little on them.

Well its been quite a few miles and every day they seem to get worse instead of better, and its the only gripe I have with the car right now. Connecticut is not exactly known for having the best roads, and runflats just wont do... especially when im not sacrificing ride complaince for fabulous grip and performance or something...

I am also convinced that due to these horribly stiff and harsh tires, they are to blame for the new rattles/squeaks/noises I hear every time I drive this thing.

Long story short, alfa care did basically nothing but offer me 2 free oil changes and tire rotations, which I suppose is nice yes but doesn't solve my issue. The dealership offered to mount and balance the tires for free if I buy a set from them as a constellation... um, isnt that free practically anywhere with a purchase of four tires?! Townfaire Tire even does an alignment for free with a tire purchase!

***And on a side note, since I will have to be the one who bites the bullet and gets a new set of tires, I plan on increasing the size of these donuts to something that doesn't come on a Honda Civic... 225's on a 19 inch rim is pretty pathetic for most cars, especially a performance oriented luxury car such as the Giulia. That decision boggles me but what do I know, I didnt go to school for engineering or anything;)

I think most likely for now I plan on doing ultra high performance all seasons, but might consider getting a set of winter and summer tires if I can get some money for these stock ones which I have on the car now. Regardless of which I go for, I have checked and confirmed with a tire shop that 235s, 245s, and even some 255s can fit on these rims safely. MY only question is which should I go for, and which are going to get the best performance. I might even consider staggering them but that wasnt available from factory on the Q4 models so who knows if theres a reason behind that system-wise... I have heard that sometimes going too small of a jump in width wont yield any greater results, and going too wide could potentially decrease the stock performance. I need opinions!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I felt the same way about the Goodyear RFTs that came stock on my BMW after driving that around for a while so it's not just AR. I wound up going with PZeros, Dunlop WinterSports, and the seasonal swap. I'll continue to do that as long as I live in the northeast.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
Dishonorable dealer. I'm beginning to think I don't know any better because I'm OK with the tires on my car. Michigan's roads may be even worse than New England's (a contest no one wants to win). I'm planning on getting snow tires so may never need to replace the originally-supplied rubber due to wear.

I wish tires could be tried on like sneakers and shoes or demo'd like skis and golf clubs. Instead they're largely bought based on recommendations and reviews. And someone else's five stars may be based on criteria totally different from mine.

All-season tires = No season tires.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
Don't expect AR to deliver tires other than what they have specified. Don't expect the dealership to swap tires on a new car unless you have it in writing.

I plan to go with ultra high performance all seasons such as Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for 3 season use and dedicated snow tires such as Michelin XIce (the only competent snow tire I can find in the right size) for winter use ("winter" lasted almost 6 months last year) on the Ti Q4 that I have on order.

According to Tire Rack, there is little practical road-use performance difference between the A/S 3+ and the best non-track summer tires. A/S 3+ dry performance is a little worse (about 5-8% less grip), while wet performance is more noticably better (10+% more grip). On the track that dry grip would be a major advantage for the summer tires; IMO on the road not so much.

On snow or ice, the XIce has about 20-30% more grip than the A/S 3+, indicating that the A/S 3+ is remarkably competent for an all season tire on snow and ice. When Tire Rack compared all seasons to snow tires a few years ago the performance gap was about 100% (that is, snow tires got twice as much grip as all seasons on ice). Even so, 20-30% more grip is not trivial. Note that Michelin claims that A/S 3+ has considerably more grip on snow and ice than A/S 3.

I plan to put 255 35R19 A/S 3+ on custom wheels (19x9.5?) and mount 245 40R19 XIce on the stock 19x8" 5 hole wheels. These are the largest sizes that will fit in the front positions without modifying the wheel wells (note: Call me Al fit 265 35R19 on the fronts and did not have rubbing until he lowered his QV, after which he nearly had a disaster as one of the fronts rubbed on a major wiring harness). I plan to keep the configuration "square", as I was advised that AWD is likely to understeer suddenly with a staggered setup.

I don't think either of these tires are available in run flat.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
Other Threads on Tires, too.

My homework yielded a "best compromise" of running 245/35R19's which are slightly smaller in circumference (808 revolutions per mile versus 798 for stock 225s) and do mount onto 19" x 8" rims without too much misfit. Actual target rims should be 8.5"ers.

Going to wider than 245's will result in greater unsprung wieght, suggested rim upgrades to get neglibible improvement in contact patch and grip.

My decision to stay with the 225/40R19's turned out to be very acceptable. I ditched the run-flats, got an inflation patch/pump kit, and have had superb performance improvement with a pretty low-cost Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 summer tire set for just a tad below $450 a set (with rebate). Alfa has provided a 6 oil-change and 6 tire-swap package for my 36 month lease as a courtesy, which lets me alternate the summer tires with the crap P7 RFs for winter at zero cost to me.

BTW, wimpy 225's or not. Skidpad went from .85G's to 1.01G's in my hard cornering driving. Pretty darn good to be in a class with 911's and Corvettes for sub $500. Research on the particulars of the contact patch area provided by this particular 225 choice shows that 245's or wider are mostly cosmetic. At 8.5" width and 8.8" width (for 245's and 255's) the extra weight (26 and 28 lbs, versus 24 lbs) and only slight improvement in contact patch (particularly with the 40 series, which stand much taller on the 19" rim) this was a good compromise for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have federal 595 RSRs on mine... granted, I'm on 18x8 wheels, 245/40s. Decently priced, 140tw, and good amount of grip. Far better tires than the crap stock rubber.

I'll have some feedback about their track prowess in a week, although not sure if that's of interest

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Before your drop a load of cash on new tires, did you check the pressures? There have been many cases of over-inflated tires on delivery. Double check them. I am a firm believer in winter tires and avoiding all seasons. I have had no trouble with high performance summer tires in winter on clean roads. Use caution, respect the compound and surface and give them time to warm up. In snow, use snow tires.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The 225/45R18 Bridgestone Turanza RFT's (made in Poland --- garbage) on our Giulia Q4 are just fine for us at 32/35 PSI.
In snowy weather the Giulia will stay in her garage and we'll take the Honda! :D
The Accord is good in snow and in heavy snow our hybrid cable chains are great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
LOL at the OP. I have 1,000 miles on my P7's and I am not having nearly the reaction you are. Coming from a BMW with nice Continental DWS Extreme Contacts, I don't find the P7's to be that bad. They are a little more noisy, but not the complete set of garbage you are making them out to be.

Going with a wider tire just for aesthetics is an odd move. I am not sure what your driving habits are on public roads, but if you are pushing the P7's beyond their limits in daily driving that is impressive. Adding a little bit of width isn't going to improve the handling much in my opinion.

All said, I am likely replacing my P7's with Extreme Contact DWS all seasons soon. I figure I will ride on the tire I enjoyed so much on the BMW while I own the car. The P7's will sit until I turn the car back in. I figure that will be cheaper than buying a new set of run-flats if my tires wear too much in the 24mo lease. I will be going with the stock sizing as I dont need a fat tire just for looks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My concern is grip. The stock Pirelli 225/45R18 really don't grip that well in the twisty hills of northern GA, even in dry conditions. Don't really see the need for winter tires here as it only snows/ices 1 or 2 days a year. Wet performance is key though. Any suggestions / direction I should steer towards?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
What would you guys do with the old bias ply tires that I had on my '74 Camaro back in the day? I toss the Giulia around just fine with the P7's.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
P7 Cinturato are actually touring tires...many much better A/S Pirellis come in RFT format....when it is time to change I will go for P zero nero, an Ultra high performance A/S in RFT, had them on S4 and they were a great all around tire probably ver close to best Michelin A/S tires

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my P7's, and in fact actually wasn't convinced they were run-flats because they rode too well. In the rain, they are similar to the Michelin MXM's that were on my Hybrid Accord, and the snow/ice...well, since I didn't wreak a 500 Abarth on summer tires (not for use below 40 degrees) during the big ice storm, I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm 3000 miles into the p7's and they are honestly a great set. Quiet, comfortable and capable. They handle great in wet weather as well. Used to conti dws's which were great in multiple cars I've owned and I don't feel like anything is missing with the p7s. I wouldn't call them garbage by any stretch but I'm not really a drive at the limits on the street kinda guy.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
I said this a month or so ago and will repeat it: everyone has different expectations from their tires depending on how and where they drive. One person's junk can be another person's treasure. If you don't know what tire you want, tire rack chat is your friend. If you do know what tire you want, get it. Major factors include

Size--not all models are available in all sizes.
Tread wear.
Cost.
Road noise.
Working temperature range.
Dry traction.
Wet traction.
Snow traction.
Ice traction.
Load capacity.

Note that traction is often measured in either lateral g force or braking distance (acceleration time for a fixed distance for Ice) which indirectly measures longitudinal g force. Just because a tire has best in class lateral g force does not mean that it has best in class longitudinal g force.

For a given size tire and wheel, "harshness" is generally a perception of the noise produced by the tires.

Heavier tires will transfer more vibration through the suspension, but this is a relatively minor effect since tire weights for a given size tire tend to fall in a narrow range. There are exceptions, such as very heavy truck tires, but this does not apply to most passenger car tires. For Giulia the 5 pound difference between the lightest and heaviest tires of the same size makes a small change relative to the roughly 80 pounds of unsprung weight per corner of Giulia. To see much gain this way, you need to lighten all of the unsprung components.

Low profile tires will transfer more vibration through the suspension, but reduce lateral sway (improved handling) and improve lateral traction somewhat. Higher profile tires may improve longitudinal traction, although I haven't seen a study. To get the best control of lateral sway, select wheel rims that are slightly wider than the tread of the tire.

Higher pressure tires will transfer more vibration through the suspension and overinflated tires will have traction, wear and noise issues. Beware of overinflated tires as-delivered on any new vehicle. I have even had this issue with newly installed tires once: "we always inflate to the max pressure marked on the tire"--which is usually very bad advice. Also beware that your wheels have a maximum inflation pressure and you should not exceed to the lower of that value and the value on the tire.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My Ti replaced a Corvette C7 with high performance summer tires. They were great at temperatures above 50F, but below that the traction/cornering was much worse than a good all-season tire. Living in Florida I was reluctant to switch tires for winter, so I wound up driving like an old lady on cool winter mornings. Also, they showed significant wear after 6000 miles.

I'm happy with the stock Ti tires. Excellent ride for a run-flat design and enough traction to have fun at all temperatures I will encounter.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.