Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have autocrossed my QV about 4 times now. A combination of poor negative camber on the front and really soft side walls is torture on these tires. The side walls get excessively worn, even running 40 PSI. Since these tires cannot be flipped to have the outside facing in they are going to be replaced far more often then I would normally have to. Does anyone else autocross their QV? Are there tires available that have a stiffer sidewall? I suppose I could run higher tire pressures in the front to reduce sidewall flex. There was a Camaro SS running today that was beating my 52 second time by 2 seconds running Goodyear F1 asymetrics and he was only running 29PSI with no sidewall flex...so is it best to just buy cheaper tires?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just seeing this thread now searching for something else.

A majority of the time for autox, the issue isn't tires, it's driver. You can have more power, more grip, more XYZ, but you're going to lose to better drivers in less powerful and "slower" cars. Autox is something where seat time many times trumps power.

That said, things you can do to mitigate the tires edge wearing is 1st, stop overdriving the front end of the car. It's a common complaint by novices to autox that "the outside of my tires wear fast!" Yes, that happens when you turn the wheel too much based on speed for the corner. Ask an experienced driver at an event to take you for a spin either in your car, or ride with them. Listen to the tires, watch their inputs on the wheel. You'll learn a LOT just by this, seeing how little they have to turn the wheel to get the car to turn in, and how SLOW they take corners compared to you... where they brake (if they do).

You can try to get as much negative camber you can on the car via an alignment. That may mitigate a little wear also.

As far as tires, you may have to get different than OEM sizes to get the top of the crop autox tires found in the "Extreme Summer Performance" category on TireRack. Like the Bridgestone Potenza RE71R. Maybe a 305/30R19 on the rear?

While the Camaro may not have been wearing the sidewall, you may not know their alignment or driving style (like above). :)

--kC

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^Informative post!

But yeah, tires can make a difference.

IIRC, aftermarket is working on options to adjust front camber for the QV, hopefully they become available soon. Somewhat surprised QV has so little from the factory. Evo had quite a bit OEM.

·
Super Moderator
2,725 Posts
Didn't an AR driver set a record on the Nurburgring with the stock Pirelli tires?
They were Corsas which are R comp level tires, much stickier than Mich PS4S which I've been running
The answer would be yes, the Corsas are the stock tire on the QV.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's also worth noting that the stresses and demands of a tire on a road course like the 'Ring and an autocross course are very different. Chances are that that Corsas, while performing quite well, wouldn't be able to be used to their full potential on an auto-x due to the short laps not letting them come all the way up to optimum temperature. Same reason why a fantastic auto-x tire like the RE71R is known to wear extraordinarily quickly on a typical track day session due to prolonged high operating temps, not to mention overheating and losing grip.

At the end of the day, tire choice for hard driving is a very opinionated subject. You have to look at as many variables as you objectively can and make the choice that suits you the best. There are going to be positives and negatives to every tire choice, you just have to decide what sacrifices you want to make.

Aaaaand right after I spent 30 minutes thinking and carefully wording my post, I noticed this thread is nearly two years old... Oh well. Mental exercise for the afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts