Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, so far I have not gone to see the Giulia. I'm interested in the Ti AWD version,as I think the AWD feature is unique in that it only sends torque to the front wheels when it senses slippage in the rear.. That is exactly opposite of how my Golf-R's Haldex AWD system works, meaning the car defaults to FWD when no slippage is apparent. I must admit I'm ready for a sedan, and one with more sportiness in it's "DNA" than my wife's Lexus ES330 (which is a fine car, but not a fun car). Imagine driving through the Smokey Mountains in the ES330. Thank you for your sympathies.:crying: I want a bit more comfort for long trips than is afforded by the R, which is a Mk6 variant. Plus the wife can't drive a manual, and so can't spell me on really long drives.

I freely admit that I've been watching these forums from a practical logistics POV. There is a VW dealer about three miles from me, which is reassuring. The nearest Alfa dealer is 30 miles away. I fervently wish not to face some electronic ghost or mechanical failure and the logistics of getting the Giulia to the dealer for repair. Truthfully I have not read of anyone here being stranded on the side of the road in their new Giulia. I know Alfa is really trying to raise it's own bar of manufacturing quality, and customer service relations, yet the marque is still quite new. I've bought first time new cars before, but never an Italian car, let alone one with so much to prove, given it's past efforts, and failures in our market.

So, I'm fence-sitting. And reading these forums. And hoping to learn more about life with the Giulia, especially the areas of concerns. It will be a long-distance travel, as me and the wife are retired. I was teetering towards an Audi A4, but I want a more pure definition of a driver's car (and AWD; here there can be snow as well as rainy days where one negotiates a city known for it's hills).

So...
thank you
Flyby out

·
Registered
226 Posts
Flyby, I had an A4 for two years... great looking interior, but not that comfortable of seats on long trips (my wife hated it and she is a car person). I felt that the seats were too hard and I'd describe ts handling as unexceptional. I previously had a Saab 9-5 - now that was a fun car. Quicker than the Audi, more comfortable, and more distinctive looking. I've now had my Ti AWD for 10 days... I have the sport seats, and it is much more comfortable than the A4 and much more fun to drive. In Dynamic mode the Ti is quick - great acceleration and handling.. And you can move to Normal mode for long haul cruiser type trips. Bottom line is that this is a really fun car to drive! It has a distinctive look to it, and feels great. Similar to my 9-5 in that it's classy yet a bit understated to a Merc (my wife has one). I think Alfa has done a pretty good job on providing a platform that will provide passionate driving.

Two things to note: 1) Most of the dealer stock Tis that I've seen either come with the sport package or the Lusso... The former has the matte black exterior window trim, interior aluminum accents, and dark 5-hole wheels.. Lusso has the plush interior with wood accents, and the chrome spoked wheels and chrome exterior window trim.. Inside looks more upscale that the Sport Ti, but I wanted the exterior look of matte black and 5 hole wheels.. I think a custom order can marry the leather or wood interior with the Sport exterior. 2) I think different axle wheel sizes is a good look - something I may change out to.. haven't seen that on a dealer stock Ti or Base, - I think this is how the QVs come.. I know it's an option on the Ti when ordered and a good look, in my opinion.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well, so far I have not gone to see the Giulia. I'm interested in the Ti AWD version,as I think the AWD feature is unique in that it only sends torque to the front wheels when it senses slippage in the rear.. That is exactly opposite of how my Golf-R's Haldex AWD system works, meaning the car defaults to FWD when no slippage is apparent. I must admit I'm ready for a sedan, and one with more sportiness in it's "DNA" than my wife's Lexus ES330 (which is a fine car, but not a fun car). Imagine driving through the Smokey Mountains in the ES330. Thank you for your sympathies.:crying: I want a bit more comfort for long trips than is afforded by the R, which is a Mk6 variant. Plus the wife can't drive a manual, and so can't spell me on really long drives.

I freely admit that I've been watching these forums from a practical logistics POV. There is a VW dealer about three miles from me, which is reassuring. The nearest Alfa dealer is 30 miles away. I fervently wish not to face some electronic ghost or mechanical failure and the logistics of getting the Giulia to the dealer for repair. Truthfully I have not read of anyone here being stranded on the side of the road in their new Giulia. I know Alfa is really trying to raise it's own bar of manufacturing quality, and customer service relations, yet the marque is still quite new. I've bought first time new cars before, but never an Italian car, let alone one with so much to prove, given it's past efforts, and failures in our market.

So, I'm fence-sitting. And reading these forums. And hoping to learn more about life with the Giulia, especially the areas of concerns. It will be a long-distance travel, as me and the wife are retired. I was teetering towards an Audi A4, but I want a more pure definition of a driver's car (and AWD; here there can be snow as well as rainy days where one negotiates a city known for it's hills).

So...
thank you
Flyby out
Frankly you need to drive one....all the prodding and words don't give you the driving experience....make the drive to the dealer...

·
Registered
420 Posts
The main reason is that it is an Alfa Romeo. These cars are not just mechanical objects. They live. Unlike the soulless mechanical object a Lexus is, and I once owned an ES and later an LS, an Alfa Romeo lives your life with you.

Let me provide an example of how I came to buy the 1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider Veloce that is sitting in my garage right now. My first car was a 1963 spider. It lasted in my possession about six months. It was not a pleasant experience. Never the less, in this short time I had become infected. The girlfriend at the time of the first car became my wife. We found we needed to replace the Chevrolet we owned a few years later. Due to the unpleasant first Alfa experience she was firmly against buying another Alfa Romeo. We argued and argued and argued about this until one day driving back home this argument became quite heated. I pulled into the parking spot and switched off the engine of the Chevrolet. Just as I did so as we stopped talking at each other a loud pop sounded in the car. We looked at each other thinking what just broke on this car. I reached out to the key still in the ignition. I turned not to start but just to on. There was total silence in the car and no sound outside. As I turned the key we hear coming out of the radio this phrase - Why drive a car when you can drive a legend, Alfa Romeo. I turned the car off, got out, and started shopping for a new Alfa the next day.

These cars live. They have a soul. They are Alfa Romeos. No other reason is needed to own one.

By the way, here 43 years later, it is my wife who insisted we buy the Giulia.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very cool story, Chipps, and that is what I hope to feel starting on day 1 with mine tomorrow. I have had cars that I have loved, but not quite at that level, other than a '71 BMW 2002, but I was too young and without the financial ability to keep that car.

As to FlyBy's consideration of an Audi A4.. I am coming out of an Audi S4, and have driven the A4 many times as a loaner car. It is a lovely, but totally uninspiring car to drive. I would take it over the Lexus ES330 for sure, but I wouldn't be at all excited. The S4 at least has a very exciting engine, but it somewhat stops there for me. I look forward to the Giulia really becoming for me as Chipps describes his experience with the Alfa brand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
***sigh*** I hear you guys. To drive it is to know it. It's the very least I can do. There's been one car I owned for 12 years, and it still visits me in my dreams" a 91 Toyota MR2 Turbo (the one with snappish drop-throttle oversteer). Loved it. Modded it, and drove it for years. But time marches on, and now the Golf R which may need to go (the wife loves her 2005 ES). I need to drive.
thank you all for your inputs. The Giulia is well represented here as a "driver's car".
Flyby out

·
Registered
787 Posts
I hear you Flyby, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a small desposit on a TI that the dealer had on order, due in about 2 months. I live in Nebraska now and the dealer in Omaha is about 30-35 miles away. I drive a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback (will trade it in ) and I have a 7 year old pickup. I have had many cars (68 years old and want a Alfa while I can still enjoy it). 1961 Austin Healy 3000, many VW's and Audi's even a S4, and boring cars too (Camry).
I have had 1st year cars before, only got burnt once (2010 Jetta sportwagon Diesel, yes that one) but I'm on the fence too.

Reactions: Russell DeJulio

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
et too riparke?

I hear you Flyby, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a small desposit on a TI that the dealer had on order, due in about 2 months. I live in Nebraska now and the dealer in Omaha is about 30-35 miles away. I drive a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback (will trade it in ) and I have a 7 year old pickup. I have had many cars (68 years old and want a Alfa while I can still enjoy it). 1961 Austin Healy 3000, many VW's and Audi's even a S4, and boring cars too (Camry).
I have had 1st year cars before, only got burnt once (2010 Jetta sportwagon Diesel, yes that one) but I'm on the fence too.
67 here, and more aware of the passing of time than ever. Lot's more to see, and best seen in a true drivers' car (which won't beat you to death on a long haul). I still fantasize our recent drive through the wet roads and fog-hidden curves of the Smokey Mountain hwy. An AWD Giulia might have made the drive more smile-worthy. So, we'll see. Good luck with your decision. Whatever you buy, drive the wheels off it!:wink2:
Flyby out

·
Registered
189 Posts

So...
thank you
Flyby out
Hi there - I got mine almost 2 weeks ago, a base model with almost no options - 1st impressions are that it is very comfortable, faster and more responsive than I expected, especially with the setting on D (DNA switch has 3 settings) and with more interior space than I expected. If you are concerned about seat softness, the luxury option has seats that are a bit more cushy than the standard leather seats, so when you visit the dealer try sitting in both. Also they do come with a range of wheels, from 17 to 19, so you may want to see how that may change the ride and handling. If you have specific questions let me know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi GioSailor,
Thank you for the two-week snapshot. Guys are saying the car is more comfortable than the Audi A4. I'd been thinking about the S3 as an equivalent. It has the same wheel base as my Golf R, but I've read that the adjustable dampers can render a comfortable right. another one I haven't driven yet. Still gathering information. And I come back to the Giulia and that AWD function. And it's longer wheel base. and quicker steering ratio. and multiair engine tech. (anyone know how much torque the tranny can take?)

Sailor, how do the knobs, and stalks and switches feel to you? Are they up to Audi quality? BTW, the seats in the Golf are on the firm side, but pretty good for road trips. I also understand that in choosing 17-inch wheels the ride over bumps, and into dips, and potholes may improve, but I wonder if something is lost in the steering feel. Also in specing a Giulia out on AR's site, I saw where selecting 17-inch wheels meant some options were deselected. AR seems a bit intent on selling packages. Lots to consider. Good thing it's a comfy fence. :)
Flyby out

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been following this forum and will add my two cents. Since I was 16 (1959) I've owned/leased about 45 cars and trucks. Some good and some bad. Of these, my favorites were Fiats ('66 850 Sport Coupe and '75 X1-9), Alfas ('77 Alfetta Sedan, '87 Spider Quad, '91 Spider Veloce), and Mustangs ('65 260 convertible, '95 Cobra, '98 Cobra, '12 GT with Steeda tune).

The Italian cars were generally reliable but needed to be correctly maintained by someone who knew what they were doing. However they provided a level of driving enjoyment that is tough to match. The sounds and handling are memorable. I test drove a Ti and hope to buy one later this year. Allowing a little maturation time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good morning Gremlin,
I can see that you've owned your share of Italian cars. Glad you find them reliable. A good mechanic is like a good doctor. Your perspective on buying has some merit:"Allowing a little maturation time". It's interesting to read what Wiki has to say about the car. Here's a link for the interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_(952)

I hope that brake situation is only a break-in thing. I'd hate to late-brake myself right out of my seatbelt and through the windshield!:grin2:
have a great driving day, all
Flyby out

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi GioSailor,
Thank you for the two-week snapshot. Guys are saying the car is more comfortable than the Audi A4. I'd been thinking about the S3 as an equivalent. It has the same wheel base as my Golf R, but I've read that the adjustable dampers can render a comfortable right. another one I haven't driven yet. Still gathering information. And I come back to the Giulia and that AWD function. And it's longer wheel base. and quicker steering ratio. and multiair engine tech. (anyone know how much torque the tranny can take?)

Sailor, how do the knobs, and stalks and switches feel to you? Are they up to Audi quality? BTW, the seats in the Golf are on the firm side, but pretty good for road trips. I also understand that in choosing 17-inch wheels the ride over bumps, and into dips, and potholes may improve, but I wonder if something is lost in the steering feel. Also in specing a Giulia out on AR's site, I saw where selecting 17-inch wheels meant some options were deselected. AR seems a bit intent on selling packages. Lots to consider. Good thing it's a comfy fence. :)
Flyby out
Flyby
the 2.0 is really strong will pull well at low revs with minimal lag, it is also showing great initial MPG (too early to quote it as i am driving it mellow for now), the transmission is really smooth I am not a fan of automatics, but this one is great.
Long wheelbase and short overhangs give it a great balance and modern look as well. Should do well in AWD also has decent ground clearance for a sporty car.
I have owned many Audi's in the past (older vintages) and a recent 2008 5 series BMW, the stalks and controls are similar in feel and quality, and the steering wheels is great. Pretty good center console, controls are naturally placed (the optional 8.8 in screen is lovely integrated, much better than the ipad style on the germans) The interior in general is rather good, probably nicer with the luxury seats and wood option, but i am happy with the basic black. I have the 17" black 7 hole wheels that look great on it (and likely improve the ride some more). Keep in mind that unlike other brands, when you up the wheel size, Alfa kept the width the same at 225, so I am not sure you get much improved grip by going 18 or 19, just stiffer sidewall. Some cool unexpected standard features like the side LED lights turning on for low speed turns and who knows what else, still finding interesting details.

The (somewhat minor) complaints I have so far:

1) start/stop feature has to be disabled every time you start the car (I think this is the case with other new cars like BMW), a bit annoying if you forget and dislike the feature as I do.
2) The mirrors fold back every time you lock the car (again, i think this is annoying should be selectable by user)
3) The seat slides back when you open the driver door (to facilitate exit) I find it unnecessary and should be selectable feature)
4) The car is fitted with P7 run flat tires and no spare. This is poor because run flats cost more to replace, may have reduced grip compared to normal tires and a stiffer ride, and then when it's time to replace them if you replace with standard tires you end up with no spare or tire repair kit (which i imagine you can buy from dealer) from talking to BMW owners, they seem to hate their run flats.
5) Standard stereo is quite poor (if I were to get a Giulia to order, the harman kardon upgrade would be a must for me, but i did save a lot with going with a base Giulia with just $1600 in options)

As for the rest, I am really pleased ! At some point I may need to summarize the pro/cons in total.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good morning GioSailor,
Thank you for pointing out what issues you have with the car, as well as the positives. I agree with your observation about tire and wheel sizes. I'm not fond of the idea of no spare tire, nor do run-flat tires appeal to me. I do believe that increasing the wheel size with it's attendant shorter (and stiffer) tire sidewall height would benefit turn-in response. I can tell you that ride quality on my short-wheelbase Golf-R suffers from 18s, plus keeping close to the recommended tire pressure of 41 psi on each corner. In my opinion that tire pressure has a benefit of reducing tire deflection in potholes, and so that "reassuring" jolt is protecting the wheels. A lower air pressure (softer sidewall) might not be so helpful when negotiating Cincinnati's winter streets. Having said that, I wonder if anyone here has driven Giulias with both wheel sizes? How is the ride quality impacted (with that longer wheel base)? Things to think about

I also am not generally a fan of automatics, as I like rowing through, and see every drive as a chance to practice the black art of shifting, especially in trying to achieve the Zen of downshifting. :) But the effect of a good DCT is undeniable. I'm equally impressed with the performance of the Giulia's " more traditional" automatic, with it's speed and overall application. For some reason I think the later Corvette autos perform in similar fashion. If so, I wonder at the longevity of the use of DCTs if other such trannies offer similar performance. I imagine the Giulia must offer smoother shifts in urban driving, whereas I've read that DCTs don't seem as comparatively smooth in similar situations.BTW, my R's interior comes in basic black, with a few shiny parts here and there. I've kept my fingers crossed and said prayers beseeching the car's reliability, and so far they have been heard! :D

I think I could live dealing with that start-stop switch as part of my startup procedure. I finger it won't be long before there's a defeat for sale by someone. My '13 R didn't come with full ESC-defeat, but a software tweak fixed that. Yet I seldom turn it off. :) So...

I think I've convinced myself that a nicely loaded Ti-AWD would suite me, and the wife. She likes her creature comforts (no luxury seats package), and I'd hope she wold not mind the performance bend I'd spec for the car.

Once again, thank you GioSailor. You and others have provided quite the perspective of ownership. As I said; things to think about.
Flyby out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well guys today I drove a Giulia Ti from Jake Sweeney AR in Burlington Ky. It was a beautiful and warm day. The salesman (Tom Cronin) was very good about informing me about the car. He directed me to some nice back roads and some highway bits so I could assess the car. My wife sat in the back, and found the ride very comfortable. The car drove as all have said it would, though I didn't push it hard due to unfamiliarity wit hthe roads and the car. I did recall reading about the brake-by-wire setup not providing much feel, making it hard to determine how much force to use to come to a full stop. I can tell you (do I have to?) such talk is fake news. I was immediately comfortable modulating the brakes as I wanted, and when I wanted to. Believe it or not, my '13 GOlf R has less wind noise at highway speeds. But the ride of my R with it's short wheel base and without active suspension adjustment, is less comfortable. I can see how the Giulia would make the perfect long-haul cruiser. I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Now, to buy a Giulia I intend to sell my car, and not trade it in. Meanwhile, I will be comparing the car to the Lexus IS-350 and the Audi A4 or S4 ($$$$), both Audi's are easily tuneable, and I like a nice discreet power tune. I'm sure the Giulia's multiair engine has some untapped potential.
thanks all for revealing the car to me,
Flyby out

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well guys today I drove a Giulia Ti from Jake Sweeney AR in Burlington Ky. It was a beautiful and warm day. The salesman (Tom Cronin) was very good about informing me about the car. He directed me to some nice back roads and some highway bits so I could assess the car. My wife sat in the back, and found the ride very comfortable. The car drove as all have said it would, though I didn't push it hard due to unfamiliarity wit hthe roads and the car. I did recall reading about the brake-by-wire setup not providing much feel, making it hard to determine how much force to use to come to a full stop. I can tell you (do I have to?) such talk is fake news. I was immediately comfortable modulating the brakes as I wanted, and when I wanted to. Believe it or not, my '13 GOlf R has less wind noise at highway speeds. But the ride of my R with it's short wheel base and without active suspension adjustment, is less comfortable. I can see how the Giulia would make the perfect long-haul cruiser. I'm not telling you anything you don't know.

Now, to buy a Giulia I intend to sell my car, and not trade it in. Meanwhile, I will be comparing the car to the Lexus IS-350 and the Audi A4 or S4 ($$$$), both Audi's are easily tuneable, and I like a nice discreet power tune. I'm sure the Giulia's multiair engine has some untapped potential.
thanks all for revealing the car to me,
Flyby out
Glad to hear you had a good experience...question however when you say cross shopping with Audi...there is no S4 in the 2017-2018 line-up...there is the S3...are looking at a pre-owned S4??...those are very nice cars....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the S4 comes out as a 2018 here in the U.S, with an MSRP of $50.000, and around $60,000 maxed out. That's a few more $$ than a maxed out Ti, but much more power I've found certified S4s hard to come by. The nearest Audi dealer says people tend to keep them. Figures. But ultimately i want a car that's fun for me yet one that can be docile for the wife so we can share long driving trips, which she's interested in doing, but not with a manual. I believe she does not want to give up her Lexus, so long trips means the Golf may go. :( But only if I can have a fun-to-drive car! :D
Flyby out

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I think the S4 comes out as a 2018 here in the U.S, with an MSRP of $50.000, and around $60,000 maxed out. That's a few more $$ than a maxed out Ti, but much more power I've found certified S4s hard to come by. The nearest Audi dealer says people tend to keep them. Figures. But ultimately i want a car that's fun for me yet one that can be docile for the wife so we can share long driving trips, which she's interested in doing, but not with a manual. I believe she does not want to give up her Lexus, so long trips means the Golf may go. :( But only if I can have a fun-to-drive car! :D
Flyby out
yup just saw that...the new S4 comes out in Europe this summer and US should see by Fall of 2017....still a 3.0 333hp motor??
they are really solid cars...do everything well...and still fun to drive..AWD....they are priced like a 340 X-Drive w/M-Sport....
Good Luck with your decision!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I forgot to say that in my discussions with the salesman, I asked about the the support Alfa offered, pointing out that his being the nearest Alfa dealership was about 30 miles from my home. I was concerned after having read of some electronic gremlins on this site, and wondered what the plan was should the car fail. I asked if I'd have ot have the car towed. He told me I'd have to only call AR (the dealership?) and arrangements would be made to have the car towed and to have a Giulia waiting for me to drive if the problem was going to held overnight. I suppose this might also be the procedure should I be out on the road some when the car fails.
Yes, I know. 1st-model-year jitters. What can I say, except I like to be prepared with known quantity of a plan-B. Alfa doesn't yet have a large network of dealerships. On a similar note I bought the 1st WRX model year, and it had some issues: frigid-cold temps with a strong smell of gasoline, a leaking radiator, and a failed power window motor. That was within the 1st year. At about nine years into ownership the front subframe rusted through. There was a recall due to insufficient anti-corrosion treatment, Replaced under warranty. I kept the car a further three years. But serveral dealers with within 10 miles, so...

I know the Giulia hasn't the most lavished-upon interior. But I am reminded that I did not buy that WRX for it's deluxe (austere, really) interior, but for the driving package. Like I said, I kept it for 12 years. :)
Flyby out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts