Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I bet the suv times are slower than the horse.
the only time I did that was for a rider test; the front end washed out and I had to pull the horsey out of it with a good tug on the reins and outside weight shift.
I passed the test, they let me ride their horse.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
of course he doesn't like suv's - if you saw the escape from argentina episode you've seen the number of vans and support crew he has with him to haul his stuff.
for those of us without a private convoy, suvs/vans/trucks can be handy

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Did anyone order their Stelvio QV today?
My understanding is that the order banks just opened....

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
on this and the stelvio forum, it seems only one has admitted to it.
and he was discouraged by the salesman as they don't have pricing or a dealer configurator, so it's kinda blind.
even with my wife speaking fluent french, using the alfaromeo.fr config as a guide had her/me wondering what some things meant - but there really aren't many options anyway.

I need Pieter's email now, I've been waiting for this car since I sold my 76 Alfetta to get a 78 saab turbo with a hitch and hatch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In Switzerland, the Stelvio QV is available since the beginning of the year.

I short tested it last week, during the 20K miles service of my Giulia QV.

I was a little bit disappointed ...

Let me explain. It is an excellent car, which will compete very well with a Macan Turbo, but when you come from a Giulia QV, well, it seems much less sporty.

Yes, it accelerates very well, even in cold weather, thank you Q4. But as we are sitting much higher, we take a little more roll in turns.

This vehicle is perfect for the family because, even in race mode, it's definitely more comfortable than the Giulia Q. The WAF is definitely better!

Then, thanks again to Q4, the car is easier to drive for any driver. The car maintains more easily a straight line when you accelerate hard. It's safer, but it's less fun.

Finally, in Europe, the price is, in my opinion, too high compared to the Giulia. There is a gap of 14'000 US$ in equal equipment between a Stelvio QV and a Giulia QV, while this difference is only 3'000 US$ between a Stelvio 280 and a Giulia Q4 280, still on equal equipement.

This is all the less justifiable as on the Stelvio, there are no side skirts and front blade made of carbon. The front fenders and hood aren't also made of carbon.
It makes the all-wheel drive transmission really expensive !

So, you'll understand, that I won't change my Giulia QV for a Stelvio QV !

But it's still a great car that I recommend to anyone who wants a sporty SUV.

Some pictures quickly taken by iPhone.

Apple CarPlay :

And with my car :

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
thanks, Sillyconcarne - I've been waiting for your impressions.

no surprizes there, the expected trade offs for the room, towing ability, all that comes with height (improved on road visibility is a plus).
that it can compare at least favorably with the giulia puts it in good company, and I will console myself with the reality that in bad weather it's better.
I do wish race mode disabled awd, but you can't have everything.

and the "premium" charged for getting a 4wd truck isn't announced here yet, I do hope it makes more sense, as on the giulia models. the dealer doesn't know - and he's concerned.

what's "WAF"?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
haha thank you

my wife has been told she "needs" AWD since we moved to snowland, and she buys Afoalo garden supplies so the SUV space made sense to her - just not the quad.

when we get visitors here now, they are full sized humans with luggage - and I want to tow stuff, including Italian motorcycles.
I can accept a loss of some extreme performance capabilities for the overall usefulness in our daily lives. Better than having a van again (or even a vanagon).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
regarding pricing (I hope Alfa is listening) the LAST thing they need is any review that says "over priced" or " fail to see the value" for any of their vehicles, because that impression will get spread.
they are still re-introducing the brand here, they are still below sales targets, and they have a lot of stelvios sitting on lots.

the purpose of the QV's is to get people excited about AR and into the dealers. anything that scares them off is a very bad thing.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I have to say Clarkson et al panned the concept of sports, utility, and vehicle quite effectively.

the stelvio was beat up big time for lack of a factory tow hitch.

if AR was hoping this was going to help sell stelvio quads, they will be disappointed.

that aside, it was entertaining, even for someone who has an order in.

those with no use for suvs will love it

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Well it beat Macan Turbo PP and that Velour
pretty well in things that really matter...it is sportier than Porsche, prettier than Velar...while you may not get New Foundland in there I am sure you can haul two weeks of groceries easily.....steering might be too fast for the track but will you really track an SUV? And off road? **** even RR pooped itself on a bit of a gravel...Grand Tour hasnt really been car review for a while, its just three old cogs bitching at each other for their own amusement..... Oh and that misano blue...that should get plenty of ohs and ahs at cars and coffee too

·
Registered
39 Posts
oh my god! Does anyone actually watches these clowns??? I watched in on Kodi because the stelvio QV was on it, but what a waste of 35 min of my life i'll never get back. Except for the first test, the tests were stupid and even then meaningless unless you have the same driver in all 4 vehicles (including the M3).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I had to borrow a code.

as they sure weren't trying to make these look good, I rather suspect the "same driver in all 4" was cut as it didn't give the results they wanted.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
oh my god! Does anyone actually watches these clowns??? I watched in on Kodi because the stelvio QV was on it, but what a waste of 35 min of my life i'll never get back. Except for the first test, the tests were stupid and even then meaningless unless you have the same driver in all 4 vehicles (including the M3).
I watch them all the time, hoping they will be their old self again but they are just looking really tired and not having remotely as much fun and motivation....age and too much money will do that to you....decade ago they were really fun and a great watch...even though their reviews were always weird stuff....they gave QV Giulia major thumbs up last year though, they are all big time Alfa fans, well at least JC and JM

·
Registered
422 Posts
They have lost a lot of their mojo. I still watch, but I have 3 episodes waiting to be watched (that never happened 10 years ago). They are funny, but it is even more scripted than before. The SUV test was entertainment and not useful in any way. My wife drives the Velar, and I consider it a very stylish and capable station wagon. It does exactly what it’s supposed to. We test drove the Macan, and it too would be a great and fun practical car that would never even see a gravel road if I owned it. We have a pickup for all that stuff. As an aside, my brother drives the new Raptor, and is in love with it. If I didn’t have to tow a 9,000 lb RV, I would have one in a second.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I thought the macan on gravel with the trailer gave the only "useful" info on the vehicle(s)
it works in less than ideal traction, even with a boat flopping around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts