Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Read an article from MotorTrend I believe. Said the Stelvio Quad is faster 0-60 than the Giulia due to reprogramming of the computer -- and they made a point to say the Stelvio is 600 lbs heavier too.

Impressive, without a doubt.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the AWD helps i that respect already, the reprogramming made it a little faster still.
It will be interesting to compare time/distance and see where they cross.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Let's not fool ourselves......It may be faster on a straight line than the Giulia QV due to AWD..... maybe...... but add twisties or a track and it is : ARRIVEDERCI Stelvio QV......:grin2:

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's faster in a short straight line - how short we don't know yet. the stelvio advantage might only last to 30 mph.
on a track, unless it was extremely tight giving an advantage to AWD traction, no contest, and the faster the track ...
twisties could be a different story, simply because how far you can see is every bit as important as anything else, and for most of us, anything even related to absolute top speed isn't a consideration. when you are up a little higher, you see a little farther, you can go a little quicker.
that doesn't mean it's more fun or enjoyable to drive, which is the prime reason for picking the giulia in the first place.
picking the stelvio means there are other considerations.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from the "wider tires thread", apologies to Al for misappropriating his words, and I certainly don't consider the power/rwd/tail happiness of the giulia quad a problem - but depending on the speeds at which you smokem while cornering, AWD (yes, with a higher cg) might be a solution yielding positive results in .... lap times (nasty toothless grinning emoji thing here).

"What I noticed with the wider rear tires the most is when tracking I am able to put all my power down coming out of turns especially coming out of turns and up a hill. Before the wider tires often they would just smoke up. Now the rear tires have quite a bit more grip and don’t spin so much."

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
On a track it also important to know/feel the "tire limits", in other words modulate the throttle to maximize grip with what you have, otherwise you always going to depend on wider and wider tires for grip.
At the end of the day, you are in control of the tires, not the tires in control of you.......0:)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup, but your modulation threshold is higher with AWD, which translates into acceleration instead of smoke
THAT MEANS FASTER!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
... you are in control of the tires, not the tires in control of you ...
Famous JFK quote! You Boston guys have them all memorized!

Like, ... hey ball boy, let about 2 lbs of air out of the football ...

Reactions: DragonKart

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
yup, but your modulation threshold is higher with AWD, which translates into acceleration instead of smoke
THAT MEANS FASTER!!!!
Only one way to find out Sir!:wink2:
... you are in control of the tires, not the tires in control of you ...
Famous JFK quote! You Boston guys have them all memorized!

Like, ... hey ball boy, let about 2 lbs of air out of the football ...
LOL, I love your sense of humor!:grin2:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, the Boston guys have long chosen to forget most of them - for whatever purpose was required:

"To those new states whom we welcome to the ranks of the free, we pledge our word that one form of colonial control shall not have passed away merely to be replaced by a far more iron tyranny. We shall not always expect to find them supporting our view. But we shall always hope to find them strongly supporting their own freedom--and to remember that, in the past, those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

To those people in the huts and villages of half the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required--not because the communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right"

oh, yeah, where were we ..

only one way to find out maybe Anthony will get the opportunity to do back yo backs on company cars, or a magazine, at a track with a short and long course, so the car don't look so bad.
unless it rains!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey, who woke up the Patriots?

PS: I read today that the Pats might pick up Jimmie Graham from the Seahawks. Imagine, The Gronk and Jimmie on both ends ..... wow! Jimmie won't drop so many of the soft balls. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what's perhaps ironic is that she is pretty much the slowest at COTA, but she's the only tester who thinks the ride on the street isn't too stiff.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"not a review"
Ok, sorry for the misleading terminology

"reviews" based on first drive impressions are all there are, either middle east on the mountain road or COTA, mostly on the track.
and that top gear comedy bit using street tires for barrel racing.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this isn't a review either, just a comparison
WSJ "review" is online too for anyone who knows their password

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
for the good dentist, here is the obvious, why they needed such a long video is beyond me:

perhaps they will continue with the obvious, in a 1/4 mile the result would change.
with luck they will do a long track and a short track comparison, as we would hate to have a "closed the door" situation among forum members haha

1 - 20 of 90 Posts