Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was hoping for some guidance on steering wheel removal. I am going to add the carbon fiber trimmed wheel.

questions:

what is the process?

what tools are required?

do I need to disconnect the battery or is that optional?

if the battery is disconnected, will I lose all my pre-sets?

is this something I should do or is this not advisable outside the dealer due to airbag and electronics?

thank you.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Steering wheel removal is quite easy. If you are swapping old wheel to new wheel its even easier job. The airbag needs to be disconnected (so battery off). It pops out with a flat blade screw driver through the hole at the bottom. Handle airbag carefully.

Use this link as a guide which is for the red button installation.
http://www.autolusso.co.uk/giulia_27_359109516.pdf

ADDITONAL POINTERS:
You will need to disconnect the -ve battery terminal and put away. **REMEMBER TO LEAVE YOUR BOOT OPEN**

You will need a 24mm socket on a short 1/2" extension to undo the steering wheel holding nut.

Remember to ensure all the connectors are firmly installed before popping airbag back in. The connector for the horn is a tiny wire with a slip in type joint. Check this is secure.

Once battery is reconnected. When you switch ignition on you will get a dashboard full of warning lights. DNA modes stuck in N. Don't fret. Just start the engine. Let it idle. REMEMBER TO REST THE STEERING BY TURNING IT FULL LOCK TO THE LEFT AND THEN TO THE RIGHT. Switch engine off and then restart again. All errors should be cleared and full DNA modes should be available.

If you get airbag warning, the aitrbag connector is not fully inserted. disconnect battery and pop-out airbag and check connector. It will make a audible click if inserted correctly.

You will not lose radio and other presets. The clock will reset but GPS will correct it automatically. Only the trip meter will reset and go to zero. Nothing else changes. Been there, done that (red button).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steering wheel removal is quite easy. If you are swapping old wheel to new wheel its even easier job. The airbag needs to be disconnected (so battery off). It pops out with a flat blade screw driver through the hole at the bottom. Handle airbag carefully.

Use this link as a guide which is for the red button installation.
http://www.autolusso.co.uk/giulia_27_359109516.pdf

ADDITONAL POINTERS:
You will need to disconnect the -ve battery terminal and put away. **REMEMBER TO LEAVE YOUR BOOT OPEN**

You will need a 24mm socket on a short 1/2" extension to undo the steering wheel holding nut.

Remember to ensure all the connectors are firmly installed before popping airbag back in. The connector for the horn is a tiny wire with a slip in type joint. Check this is secure.

Once battery is reconnected. When you switch ignition on you will get a dashboard full of warning lights. DNA modes stuck in N. Don't fret. Just start the engine. Let it idle. REMEMBER TO REST THE STEERING BY TURNING IT FULL LOCK TO THE LEFT AND THEN TO THE RIGHT. Switch engine off and then restart again. All errors should be cleared and full DNA modes should be available.

If you get airbag warning, the aitrbag connector is not fully inserted. disconnect battery and pop-out airbag and check connector. It will make a audible click if inserted correctly.

You will not lose radio and other presets. The clock will reset but GPS will correct it automatically. Only the trip meter will reset and go to zero. Nothing else changes. Been there, done that (red button).

Hope this helps.

thank you!

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,416 Posts
Did you ever do this? And can I ask where you got the cf wheel from?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Did you ever do this? And can I ask where you got the cf wheel from?
Ebay is a good source, they're going for about $350USD. You have to keep in mind the buttons available in your current wheel vs. the Quad you're purchasing. Basically, if you don't have all the options now, you will have some dead buttons which is expected. Perhaps you can program them into something else? :)

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,416 Posts
Ebay is a good source, they're going for about $350USD. You have to keep in mind the buttons available in your current wheel vs. the Quad you're purchasing. Basically, if you don't have all the options now, you will have some dead buttons which is expected. Perhaps you can program them into something else? :)
I saw those but at 350, are they oem?

Dealer asked 2600

1 - 7 of 7 Posts