Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pro- nice look for a nice cost.
Con- not real carbon fiber (abs plastic which i was not 100% happy with, so i did not install them... You just have to know and be cool with abs plastice with carbon print)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought mine from amazon I believe
Diego do you have a photo of that straight on, preferably close up of the bottom of the wheel you could post?

I've also been looking for the inserts, but all the ones I've seen so far I'm not that happy with, they have this odd mild overlap at the bottom which irks me a lot.

Below is a close-up photo I took of a QV, you can see that there s no overlap, as it's factory and not installed over the top. We may not have an option on the overlap as they're stick on covers... just curious on anyone else's experience?

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,841 Posts
Every time i see a photograph of that beautiful Giulia steering wheel i get a desire to go for a drive to Bunnings and buy something i didnt ever need but just wanted the excuse to go for a drive

i now have enough material to build a 2 storey town house

·
Registered
144 Posts
Every time i see a photograph of that beautiful Giulia steering wheel i get a desire to go for a drive to Bunnings and buy something i didnt ever need but just wanted the excuse to go for a drive

i now have enough material to build a 2 storey town house
Hahahahah I know right. I forgot what it was like to want to go for a drive for the 'heck of it'!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi Diego

Did you manage to get the old plastic trim of the steering wheel and fit the carbon fibre inserts or was it the case of fit the carbon fibre inserts over the top of the existing plastic trim.

Paul

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Pro- nice look for a nice cost.
Con- not real carbon fiber (abs plastic which i was not 100% happy with, so i did not install them... You just have to know and be cool with abs plastice with carbon print)
Koshi make full carbon fiber side covers.

Aren’t also hybrid pieces available, with CF weave on top of ABS plastic? They’d be thicker, but cheaper.

I agree that printed CF weave would be a horrible addition to a piece literally so close at hand. One could see that plainly at so close a distance, and I think it would be very dissatisfying.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Hi Diego

Did you manage to get the old plastic trim of the steering wheel and fit the carbon fibre inserts or was it the case of fit the carbon fibre inserts over the top of the existing plastic trim.

Paul
Hey! It just goes over the stock piece!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Diego do you have a photo of that straight on, preferably close up of the bottom of the wheel you could post?

I've also been looking for the inserts, but all the ones I've seen so far I'm not that happy with, they have this odd mild overlap at the bottom which irks me a lot.

Below is a close-up photo I took of a QV, you can see that there s no overlap, as it's factory and not installed over the top. We may not have an option on the overlap as they're stick on covers... just curious on anyone else's experience?

This is the closest I could find

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's not terrible for $17.
I gave it 4/5 stars, after redoing the 3M tape with a super thin 3M 300LSE tape to minimize any tape offset, and having a bit of overlap at the ends.
Is it real CF? Nope! But for $17 and being removable, I'll see how it holds up.
After all, the it's the same material as the steering wheel, and was only $17.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
While in Austin for the Grand Prix, I stopped at Madness Autoworks in Spicewood, TX. They have all sorts of carbon fiber trim and accessories for our Giulia and the Fiat 500. The owner had a Giulia 2.0 with many bits installed. It all looked to be of the highest quality, including the steering wheel trim.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
i guess I'm curious as to how those are stuck on? My wheel has the alcantara in the section of the wheel where those carbon fiber pieces go. Are you guys 3M taping those pieces to the alcantara? will that stay on? I must be missing something.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It might not stay on to the "fuzzy" recycled leather Alcantara, but if it's the regular leather that's smooth, it'll stick just fine.
I've been using the super thin 3M 300LSE tape, as it conforms quite well to curves (much better than the 1/2 or 1mm 3M foam tape.

You might want to try out sticking something to the wheel overnight, and see if it comes off easily the next morning. Of you can try one of the Amazon / eBay covers. They're only like $16, and if they don't work, you'll only be out $16. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
i figured out that that bottom part of the steering wheel is plastic not the alcantara I was thinking of so adhering the CF piece with 3M tape should be a breeze. I will probably go with the one sold by Koshi. I think those are the same as the one sold by Madness. All other bits and pieces in my car are real CF so I would like to keep the same look if possible otherwise i would go for the ebay version. For $17 you can't beat it. If it works great ! if not, no big deal it's the cost of a couple of beers at a ball game.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's not terrible for $17.
I gave it 4/5 stars, after redoing the 3M tape with a super thin 3M 300LSE tape to minimize any tape offset, and having a bit of overlap at the ends.
Is it real CF? Nope! But for $17 and being removable, I'll see how it holds up.
After all, the it's the same material as the steering wheel, and was only $17.
That looks dreadful dude.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Old thread but sorry I agree ( can't stand pattern going in two different directions). So I went with a small real CF insert in the centre and am happy (still cheap, still Chinese ,but real CF)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bougt These off Amazon, £30 and stated as carbon fiber. I was a little concerned about the direction of weave but these are spot on.
Wood Font Office ruler Tool Ruler
Hair Head Wood Horn Natural material

1 - 20 of 22 Posts