Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading posts that the steering feel on the new 2020 Giulia has changed.
I'm seeing posts like,

"There is a definite change in steering response."

"It’s definitely not as quick as it was before."

"The most noticeable thing is the steering it is not as fast as the 2018 Still great just not as go karty and I kind of miss the old feel"

Has anyone with a 2020 QV noticed a change? I really hope the QV models haven't had the steering response changed. If it has changed I will have to start looking for a 2019

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is posted elsewhere too. I test drove (QV's) one 2018 and three 2019'a and now own a 2020. The 2018 had the "linear rack" where it didn't self center, the 19's and the 20 feel the same to me. The 18 I drove also had the 4x4 wheel gap. No one responded on the other post if the steering rack changed or other components as well.
I agree that the 18 was quicker but that didn't stop me from grabbing a 20. Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an 18 with dealer-installed 19 springs, and I recently drove a MY20 press car. I would say the calibrations they've done to the MY20 make it feel less dynamic and crisp. I also hate the steering wheel, which feels way more pillowy than it should for this type of car. Granted, not the most objective opinion, but I feel the updates were a step in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe someone on the forum can find out what parts changed for 19 & up? My guess would be the steering rack and control arms to start. Even if possible, not sure I'd mod it back to 18 specs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I moved from a 2018 to 2020, so I have been directly impacted by the change. It’s a little slower, but it’s not terrible or anything. I’m already used to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a model year 2020 QV and the steering is amazing, quick, sharp, centered, balanced .... all of the above. I have never driven an '18 or a '19 so have no basis for comparison.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As Einstein suggested......It's all relative....

Reactions: greg328

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I wonder if the 2020 without the autonomous driving stuff would feel more like the 17-19

·
Registered
2020 Giulia TI
269 Posts
Does anyone have any factual info from Alfa about changes to 2020 vs earlier steering? Different part numbers, published steering ratio, etc. etc.

Reactions: Waglio

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone have any factual info from Alfa about changes to 2020 vs earlier steering? Different part numbers, published teering ratio, etc. etc.
I asked on a different thread if anyone has access to dealer/parts catalog to investigate. Maybe on my next trip to Italy I'll try to tour the Cassino plant and ask; Che cazta edda cumbinadda cu sta machina 🤣

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did some research and the 2017,18,19 and 20 has the same tire brand and size so its not the tires. Has the alignment specs changed or is it the software in the electric steering?

·
Registered
121 Posts
i can only guess that electric steering system is changed to accommodate autonomous driving. I've not driven pre 2020 giulias to compare, but it certainly isn't edgy and felt very comfortable for around town and backroads. Only the very tight switch backs where shuffling is needed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There was talk of modifying the front end to stop the tyre skip people kept moaning about

1 - 20 of 28 Posts