Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a few weeks since I made the mistake of test driving the Giulia and Stelvio as I'm now fully obsessed.....

Reading threads here and articles in magazines the quickness of the steering keeps coming up and I realized that I never noticed it. The cars admittedly had pumped up tires (to prevent flat spots sitting on the lot). I liked that as the firmer tires helps show the ride comfort. The guila on 19s was a little firmer than the Stelvio on 18s but not disagreeably so and better than my Mini on 19s.

Thats my only thought on the driving experience. The only thing that stood out was they handled and rode well - kinda half way between an Audi and a Bimmer (a good thing) but the steering never stood out as different - it was good but it didn't stand out.

So what did I miss? Did Ieven miss anything? I plan to drive them again and I'll pay attention to it. I don't think I'm used to quick or direct steering (all my current cars are known for their exceptional steering but not necessarily for a quick rack). Don't get me wrong I loved the way the cars drove so it's not an issue but I'm trying to work out why people say it takes getting used to.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The Giulia steering requires less rotation of the wheel for any given angle of the front wheels than most cars. It also has close to zero dead spot when going straight. Through a large application of steering magic the Alfa Romeo engineers have avoided the Giulia feeling nervous which is what would be expected from this combination. I think people who like actually driving their car get behind a Giulia steering wheel and love it.

But many car manufacturers have apparently decided that steering like this where turning the steering wheel causes immediate and rapid direction change is too dangerous for public consumption and have either designed it out of their cars or never figured out how to add it. Some professional car reviewers apparently agree and criticize the Giulia for this.

Personally it works for me and contributes to a car that is simply fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Coming from a Mini, you are used to great steering. The Giulia will be a perfect upsize for you. I felt the same thing when I test drove a Ti, coming from a Miata on coil overs and low profile 16 inch tires. What we need to do is some figure 8s in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,786 Posts
Almost everything else seems asleep by comparison.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I expected the Giulia to be quick and drive and handle well, but Steering and the Transmission were the best positive surprises for me when I first drove it.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
@OP perhaps it is subjective??? your Mini is FWD or AWD? either way the steering dynamics will be way different...
the steering in the Giuilia is light & direct....not to be confused with jittery or disconnected....I can see how for some drivers depending on what you are coming out of it can "feel" a little odd...it is basically a point & shoot feel...it is not numb like the new steering in the F30 BMW as that is all I can compare it too....
but I think that if you have the opportunity to drive a Giulia...any model...you will see that together the steering, chassis & suspension set-up really work well together and make the car a great driving experience...and this all comes together when you do some spirited driving....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I love the steering feel on Giulia, directness took me a second or two to get used to but the precision, feel of loading and unloading, connection to road are impeccable....lots of this probably also have something to do with front suspension geometry and setup....i am incredibly impressed particularly because this is electrically assisted steering yet if basically feels like an old school hydraulic steering....much of Audi?s and BMW?s woes with early B8.5 S4 and F30 were because of electrical steering...Audi was just horrendous before update, it had specific notchiness to it and sometimes it felt like its skipping, particularly when temps got colder, F30 still needs optional dynamic steering to feel acceptable...Great job on this one Alfa (or is it Ferrari job?)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I didn't really how great the steering was at first either. I had my QV for about a week, then I drove my Mazda 3 once and the first curve I took, I was taken by surprise and looked down at the steering wheel and said "Whoa, what's wrong here? Why does this feel so numb?" I realized it was just because I was used to the Alfa steering being so precise. And that was a FWD small Mazda, it's not like I was in a Buick. Now I appreciate and notice the steering a lot more, it's fantastic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@OP perhaps it is subjective??? your Mini is FWD or AWD? either way the steering dynamics will be way different...
the steering in the Giuilia is light & direct....not to be confused with jittery or disconnected....I can see how for some drivers depending on what you are coming out of it can "feel" a little odd...it is basically a point & shoot feel...it is not numb like the new steering in the F30 BMW as that is all I can compare it too....
but I think that if you have the opportunity to drive a Giulia...any model...you will see that together the steering, chassis & suspension set-up really work well together and make the car a great driving experience...and this all comes together when you do some spirited driving....
Thanks for all the replies. I'm guessing maybe it was the lack of time behind the wheel (prob 15-20 mins in each). It was mixed driving but nothing too spirited.

It seems like the directness startles right away but people quickly get used to it. I wanted to see how it felt but I didn't think about it once while driving. It was only later that night when I was thinking about it that I realized it didn't stand out, which surprised me as I did notice how well the cars drove overall.

I usually notice differences in steering; when I switch the 17s (allseason/winter) & 19s (summer) on the Mini (awd) I immediately notice the difference. I also have an Elise and an Evora and can tell little tire pressure changes from the steering on them. I'm just baffled to why the directness of the steering didn't startle me on the Giulia. It felt great, it just wasn't something where I was like oh that was different! It sounds like people notice it right away. Was it just the type of driving I did in it? Or was it just similar to what I'm used to (which isn't a bad thing!). Or do I just need to refresh my senses!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I'm guessing maybe it was the lack of time behind the wheel (prob 15-20 mins in each). It was mixed driving but nothing too spirited.

It seems like the directness startles right away but people quickly get used to it. I wanted to see how it felt but I didn't think about it once while driving. It was only later that night when I was thinking about it that I realized it didn't stand out, which surprised me as I did notice how well the cars drove overall.

I usually notice differences in steering; when I switch the 17s (allseason/winter) & 19s (summer) on the Mini (awd) I immediately notice the difference. I also have an Elise and an Evora and can tell little tire pressure changes from the steering on them. I'm just baffled to why the directness of the steering didn't startle me on the Giulia. It felt great, it just wasn't something where I was like oh that was different! It sounds like people notice it right away. Was it just the type of driving I did in it? Or was it just similar to what I'm used to (which isn't a bad thing!). Or do I just need to refresh my senses!
It makes more sense now. You come from a mini (my first car was a '69 Mini 1000), an Elise and an Evora. None of those cars could be called slouches in the steering department, so the Giulia steering probably doesn't feel too different from those three.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad to hear its not the driver!

From reading about it, i thought it might be some hyperactive thing. I really liked it so it's what I'm used to and I wasn't missing something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
At the time I first test drove a Giulia my daily driver was a C7 Corvette which had pretty responsive steering. I was immediately impressed with the feel of the Giulia. It's something more than the quick steering ratio and I can't figure out exactly what it is. Maybe some oregano in the power steering fluid?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The reason why steering in a different car might 'stand out', is usually because the feel of the rest of the car doesn't match. The beauty of the Giulia is the steering doesn't feel disconnected from the rest of the car. The response rate and feel of the steering is perfectly matched to the response rate of the springs, bushings, shocks and roll rate of the car. This is the most dialed-in car I have ever driven or been in. That it comes like this without requiring any further modification to achieve this balance is just incredible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts