Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was skimming an article about the new Infiniti Q50 and read that this car had "steering-by-wire". This was actually the first time I've heard of it though I have heard of throttle-by and brake-by wire. They do make an interesting comment in comparison to the QV. See below:

"One thing that separates the Q50 from the rest of the competition is available Direct Adaptive Steering. It’s marketing speak for steering-by-wire. Unlike other steering systems, there’s no real direct link from the steering wheel to the wheels.....If steering by computer sounds a lot like driving a video game, it is. When you first drive a car equipped with it, it feels different. I’m not saying that different is bad, for reasons I’ll explain, but the difference is something you’ll definitely be aware of. There is absolutely no play in the steering wheel. People will talk about the direct steering in a car like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and praise the directness. That steering seems sluggish compared to the steering in the Infiniti."

Can anyone here opine as to the "feel" of steering by wire and does the comparison above hold weight? Just curious.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
So I was skimming an article about the new Infiniti Q50 and read that this car had "steering-by-wire". This was actually the first time I've heard of it though I have heard of throttle-by and brake-by wire. They do make an interesting comment in comparison to the QV. See below:

"One thing that separates the Q50 from the rest of the competition is available Direct Adaptive Steering. It’s marketing speak for steering-by-wire. Unlike other steering systems, there’s no real direct link from the steering wheel to the wheels.....If steering by computer sounds a lot like driving a video game, it is. When you first drive a car equipped with it, it feels different. I’m not saying that different is bad, for reasons I’ll explain, but the difference is something you’ll definitely be aware of. There is absolutely no play in the steering wheel. People will talk about the direct steering in a car like the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and praise the directness. That steering seems sluggish compared to the steering in the Infiniti."

Can anyone here opine as to the "feel" of steering by wire and does the comparison above hold weight? Just curious.
Its simply an opinion. Others HATE the feel of the numb steering the Q50 has. I do like the fact that you dont feel any engine vibration coming through the steering wheel when idling but due to its design, you also don't feel the road when you are driving. But this is something we will all have to get used to at some point unfortunately. Its just the signs of the times we are living in.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I hate the way Nissans steer. I've owned one and rented so many others over the years. It numb, it floats, you never know how the car is pointed. All of the ones I've ever driven have all felt so over boosted you'd constantly weave in your lane since it's so light.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Drove two different Q50s as rental cars and thought it felt too easy. The previous G and Q's firmer steering blew it away.

The Giulia is too easy as well, it makes up for it in turning precision.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
What I am failing to understand is how my Etype was so easy to turn, yet it did not have power anything. Just a pinion moving a rack. I understand that the early E-types were lighter than Giulia (about 2/3rds the weight) but I fail to see why mfgs seem to think that steering needs to be so soft. I also wonder if it is possible to "turn down" the power assist on Giulia. With hydraulic power assist there is a device inside the steering box that controls the amount of steering feel that you get. With electric power assist I presume that there is a force sensor that feeds a circuit that generates the assist. If this is correct and the signal from the force sensor were attenuated (maybe as simple as inserting a rheostat?) you should get more steering feel.

If the vehicle has rear wheel steering at least those wheels will have to be steer by wire. I smell crashes and law suits...

·
Registered
104 Posts
One thing that worries me about "by wire" is the possibility of sudden failure. I understand mechanical parts do fail all the time, but failures are rare and less abrupt if properly maintained. Electronics seem to freeze and fail unexpectedly. The new Giulia has had some issues with electronics. My PC freezes at least once a day. I work in a hospital and our state of the art imaging equipment is not "freeze free". We often have to "reboot"
What is the likelihood brakes or steering by wire may fail or freeze abruptly leading to catastrophic results. Would be hard to "reboot" your steering or brakes in the midst of a crash!
Please educated me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Q50's steering feel is that it has no steering feel, that has to be the most awfull steering on any car ever made.....people seem to keep confusing steering feel with lightness....Giulia's is too light for my taste but steering feel is impeccable particularly so for electrical assist

It is very hard to achieve with electrical assist what Alfa has done, compare it with BMW and audis and it is very clear....both had horrible troubles getting assist squared, from weighting in on turn to center feel, audi had additionally particularly weird notchiness and skipping on center, just horrendous

Cars today are just to heavy but 4C os good example what we are losing with all this assist stuff, light cars with that perfect direct communicative connection with wheels are almost the thing of past

Q50 is what Nissan did in anticipation of self driving cars....if they ever happen they will be a bit ahead, until then they can keep q50 out of my sight....

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
One thing that worries me about "by wire" is the possibility of sudden failure. I understand mechanical parts do fail all the time, but failures are rare and less abrupt if properly maintained. Electronics seem to freeze and fail unexpectedly. The new Giulia has had some issues with electronics. My PC freezes at least once a day. I work in a hospital and our state of the art imaging equipment is not "freeze free". We often have to "reboot"
What is the likelihood of breaks or steering by wire may fail or freeze abruptly leading to catastrophic results. Would be hard to "reboot" your steering or brakes in the midst of a crash!
Please educated me if I am wrong.
The brakes have a fallback mode.

There are normally open hydraulic valves between the master cylinder and the hydraulic circuits. When the system powers up and passes its internal diagnostic tests, the brakes are switched to "by wire mode", whereby those valves are closed, and oil displaced in the master cylinder is diverted to the pedal feel simulator. Pedal travel and pressure is measured, and the actual braking pressure is generated by a motor inside the brake controller. If said controller is unpowered, or if there's a fault condition, those valves will be open, therefore the brake pedal will directly actuate the hydraulic braking circuits. The pedal will have an abnormally long travel and will feel very spongy, but the vehicle will be able to brake.

As for steering, Giulia does not have steer-by-wire. It only has electrical power steering, in lieu of the traditional hydraulic or electrohydraulic systems. Therefore, the only thing that could possibly happen is that steering may go hard. Actual steer-by-wire systems on the market do have mechanical fallback modes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some very good responses here......thanks for the education.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Very informative Mac, thanks for sharing, always wondered that about the brakes. I already read your response regarding the steering in another thread :) You're going to need your own Wiki shortly, if you don't already...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts