Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is fantastic news....I will head over to my dealership this upcoming week to see if they will attempt the fix. Thanks again @xc1097 for all your help

Reactions: learner.seeker

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I wish there was a way to get the SBLs on permanently when the headlights are on
Above a certain speed (20MPH or so?) they reduce your forward vision by creating glare. Why would you want them on all of the time?

I notice that a lot of vehicles (all Japanese?) send a lot of light directly down and in front of the vehicle (like 0 to 20 feet out), which is not good from a driving at night perspective. It yields the impression that the road is well illuminated while actually blinding the driver with glare.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Above a certain speed (20MPH or so?) they reduce your forward vision by creating glare. Why would you want them on all of the time?

I notice that a lot of vehicles (all Japanese?) send a lot of light directly down and in front of the vehicle (like 0 to 20 feet out), which is not good from a driving at night perspective. It yields the impression that the road is well illuminated while actually blinding the driver with glare.
L

You could be right about the glare over 20mph. The SBLs are the closest things we have to fog lights. Although I know they’re in a different position and completely different orientation. Maybe I should rephrase my statement from having them on permanently to being able to turn them off manually.

My main point here is any additional light I could get in front of my car the better. Would go a long in helping to not smack into some of these meteor-shower style potholes we get in the northeast.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
L

You could be right about the glare over 20mph. The SBLs are the closest things we have to fog lights. Although I know they’re in a different position and completely different orientation. Maybe I should rephrase my statement from having them on permanently to being able to turn them off manually.

My main point here is any additional light I could get in front of my car the better. Would go a long in helping to not smack into some of these meteor-shower style potholes we get in the northeast.
The car certainly needs some kind of fog lights, for driving in the fog, snow, heavy rain. However DOT has made fog lights that work illegal; I dunno about other regions. If you have the advanced headlights they theoretically can be pointed more downwards to get a road legal semi-fog light function, but AR did not add that feature for us NAFTA types either. (IIRC, you might get something like this on Euro spec Giulia). Fog lights are available in the European market, but only if you get the base halogen headlights. I believe that a dashboard control of headlight up-down is a common feature in most modern cars with adaptive headlights.

The point with the 20MPH while SBLs are on is if illumination very close to the front of the vehicle is to be productive you need your speed to be low enough that you and the vehicle can react to whatever it is before hitting it. Otherwise what is the point?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The car certainly needs some kind of fog lights, for driving in the fog, snow, heavy rain. However DOT has made fog lights that work illegal; I dunno about other regions. If you have the advanced headlights they theoretically can be pointed more downwards to get a road legal semi-fog light function, but AR did not add that feature for us NAFTA types either. (IIRC, you might get something like this on Euro spec Giulia). Fog lights are available in the European market, but only if you get the base halogen headlights. I believe that a dashboard control of headlight up-down is a common feature in most modern cars with adaptive headlights.

The point with the 20MPH while SBLs are on is if illumination very close to the front of the vehicle is to be productive you need your speed to be low enough that you and the vehicle can react to whatever it is before hitting it. Otherwise what is the point?
Well the SBL's are more designed to illuminate the vehicle during the turn around a 45° angle and avoid obstacles within that turning radius. I think its a great function for city/town driving and making turns at stop signs/traffic lights which rightfully so do normally occur under 20mph. However in my example of potholes, hitting a pothole at 10-15mph is probably not going to do much if any damage to the vehicle.

Hitting a pothole over what 50mph? is where the damage would occur although reaction time is shorter, I think we all should be attentive enough to the road to swerve and miss at those speeds. Around this time of year my eyes are glued to the road 0-20 feet in front of my car to swerve and avoid potholes, not up and ahead. There is actually DOT travel advisory signs on NJ Turnpike saying "Statewide Pothole Repairs in Progress." Its bad.

Perhaps the real issue is I should just move to Florida.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Well the SBL's are more designed to illuminate the vehicle during the turn around a 45° angle and avoid obstacles within that turning radius. I think its a great function for city/town driving and making turns at stop signs/traffic lights which rightfully so do normally occur under 20mph. However in my example of potholes, hitting a pothole at 10-15mph is probably not going to do much if any damage to the vehicle.

Hitting a pothole over what 50mph? is where the damage would occur although reaction time is shorter, I think we all should be attentive enough to the road to swerve and miss at those speeds. Around this time of year my eyes are glued to the road 0-20 feet in front of my car to swerve and avoid potholes, not up and ahead. There is actually DOT travel advisory signs on NJ Turnpike saying "Statewide Pothole Repairs in Progress." Its bad.

Perhaps the real issue is I should just move to Florida.
Florida has sink holes; you can drive the entire car in.
We get some extra large potholes in California too:
I think you need some place warm and dry, like Arizona to properly get away from the potholes.

Again my point is that the area illuminated by the SBLs or fog lights is too close to the car for you to be able to utilize that light to avoid an obstacle while you are travelling at 75Feet per second (50MPH), plus the glare limits the usability of the more appropriately aimed light that is coming from your headlights.

·
Registered
114 Posts
“Perhaps the real issue is I should just move to Florida.”
Seems like everyone else is moving here so why not. We may not have as many potholes but the constant road construction leaves lots of debris in the road that can cause damage also! And then there’s love bug season do you like to wash your car every day?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,568 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
“Newly wed or nearly dead.”
You forgot over fed ,but that’s more of a cliché about the people you see on a cruise 🚢 I honestly think that stereotype is a bit outdated sure there’s lots of seniors in the villages(Central Florida) and Boca Raton
But Miami ,Fort Lauderdale and West Palm offer a vibrant and diverse community. As well as a strong local economy and no state taxes! In the past 12 months over 1 million people have left New York and California to relocate here so there must be something people like 👍

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
You forgot over fed ,but that’s more of a cliché about the people you see on a cruise 🚢 I honestly think that stereotype is a bit outdated sure there’s lots of seniors in the villages(Central Florida) and Boca Raton
But Miami ,Fort Lauderdale and West Palm offer a vibrant and diverse community. As well as a strong local economy and no state taxes! In the past 12 months over 1 million people have left New York and California to relocate here so there must be something people like 👍
From yesterday’s Wall Street Journal

Homebuyers Are Heading to Florida During Covid, but Nearly as Many Are Moving Out

Far less discussed, however, is the fact that each year nearly as many people move out of Florida as move in. They are fleeing hurricanes, heat and escalating home prices. While Covid-19 has prompted some out-of-staters to buy homes in Florida, the state’s population growth has slowed in the pandemic to its lowest rate since 2014, according to the state’s November 2020 Demographic Estimating Conference. Between April 2019 and April 2020, the state’s population increased by 1.83%, or 387,479 people. Between April 2020 and April 2021, however, the population is expected to grow by 1.38%, or 297,851 people.

i used to live in Boca as a 20 something, loved it. When people would visit and comment about all the old people I’d say, yeah, but you should see St. Petersburg where their parents live!

·
Registered
114 Posts
From yesterday’s Wall Street Journal

Homebuyers Are Heading to Florida During Covid, but Nearly as Many Are Moving Out

Far less discussed, however, is the fact that each year nearly as many people move out of Florida as move in. They are fleeing hurricanes, heat and escalating home prices. While Covid-19 has prompted some out-of-staters to buy homes in Florida, the state’s population growth has slowed in the pandemic to its lowest rate since 2014, according to the state’s November 2020 Demographic Estimating Conference. Between April 2019 and April 2020, the state’s population increased by 1.83%, or 387,479 people. Between April 2020 and April 2021, however, the population is expected to grow by 1.38%, or 297,851 people.

i used to live in Boca as a 20 something, loved it. When people would visit and comment about all the old people I’d say, yeah, but you should see St. Petersburg where their parents live!
Seems like most of the people leaving are from central and north Florida in Palm Beach County where I live the population is exploding! It’s a mixed bag if you ask me the increased traffic certainly sucks, but on the other hand the condo I bought for 209k in ‘08 just appraised for 445k 3br/4.5 bath 2cg .In my community average home is on the market less than six days and selling over ask right now! I’ve been looking at some land up near Knoxville myself ,I- 95 is in a constant state of construction and traffic is becoming quite frustrating. Most of the roads were never designed for this volume and there’s really no place to expand.But if I move I’m sure I will miss my Christmas day water skiing tradition.
My fear is that the people moving here to escape draconian Covid restrictions and insane taxes will bring their politics/ideologies with them thus turning the area Into the very thing they are escaping from.
Sorry I know this has nothing to do with static bending headlights except maybe they will be more useful with the increased slow moving traffic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
By the way does anyone know if A service bulletin was ever issued? My car is one of the ones affected by this

·
Registered
184 Posts
My fear is that the people moving here to escape draconian Covid restrictions and insane taxes will bring their politics/ideologies with them thus turning the area Into the very thing they are escaping from
Not a single US COVID policy is as draconian as the policies in the stupid province I live in with their retarded curfew, useless closures, and demented taxes.... Even the most "draconian" of your states is lax compared to this turd of a province.... The worst part here is the amount of sheep accepting our rights being infringed upon! I get the mask wearing (to a limit), I get the social distancing and being careful. But the rest just makes my blood boil.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not a single US COVID policy is as draconian as the policies in the stupid province I live in with their retarded curfew, useless closures, and demented taxes.... Even the most "draconian" of your states is lax compared to this turd of a province.... The worst part here is the amount of sheep accepting our rights being infringed upon! I get the mask wearing (to a limit), I get the social distancing and being careful. But the rest just makes my blood boil.
Sorry to hear what you’re going through ,I also completely understand and comply with mask mandates and I try to socially distance as much as possible. Some of it however makes no sense to me for instance All of the grocery stores reducing their hours so that people who work late don’t have a chance to go grocery shopping.It seems like if anything they would expand their hours so that people would have opportunities to shop when it’s less crowded.

141 - 160 of 187 Posts