Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Please do, I would be interested to hear. Mine was in last year for this exact same thing, got a new battery then so I don’t think that’s it, probably never was, at least for me. It’s amazing to me how very random it is. I can go months and not have it happen and then it will happen every day for a week. I’ve had the latest software update so the only other probable candidate is a relay, again. Fingers crossed it’s something simple.
Quite possible it is a bad starter relay. Have you replaced those?

·
Vendor
1,328 Posts
Oh well, my magic finally gave out yesterday! Driving down the road, stopped at an intersection, car shut off (had not disabled the feature) and it was done, no matter what I tried. A bit scary seeing as cars were flying by on both sides and I’m right in the middle of the lane with no way to move. After calling for assistance and almost getting ran over, the car restarted, no rhyme nor reason. Of course the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, it seemed every possible warning light was on, including tire pressure???? DNA defaulted, infotainment out, oil change needed, etc. Sadly, I couldn’t figure this one out and it’s now at the dealership being resurrected, I hope. I’ve seen several posts similar to this so obviously shouldn’t be a surprise to the techs.
Hello,
I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. If you need further assistance after service, please feel free to send us a private message. We'd be glad to help.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I've had a similar issue with a '18 Ti and build date of 05/2018. Go to start the car, everything in the dash turns on, everything works but the car will not turn on. After a bit of troubleshooting, i found that removing the negative terminal from the batter for a few minutes and then putting back on, allows the car to turn on! Not a great workaround but it gets me out of a pinch.

Testing the batter voltage, I'm at roughly 12ish in off position. I dip into the 9.5's during start, and hover at 14ish when completely on. From what i'm reading, under 10 volts starting the car is not a good sign. Considering my battery is 3+yrs old, I was thinking it's a battery issue.

Car is currently in the dealer for some general maintenance stuff and I had them look into this. Will report back progress when I hear from them.
They ended up replacing the starter relay. We'll see if this holds true after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They ended up replacing the starter relay. We'll see if this holds true after a couple of weeks.
Got it back today, dealership was super helpful and there was no charge, even though warranty was out by a few months but I had it in before warranty was out for the same thing. Once again, no codes shown and no warning lights on but they did replace starter relay as “good will” gesture. Unfortunately when I got in to leave, although it did start (big plus), all warning lights were back on, and DNA was inoperable. Oh well……they took it back in, I am assuming to reset codes. Brought it back out and although the warning lights were off, DNA would not change. I needed the car for the weekend so let them know I’d be back next week. Tech thought maybe a computer connection issue? Halfway through the drive, DNA came back on board. Hoping it was just catching up.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Sounds like they disconnected the battery, what you described is totally normal.

As far as my update, I'll post back after a couple of weeks, the tech was very confident on the fix.

Reactions: Treva

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,182 Posts
I've had a similar issue with a '18 Ti and build date of 05/2018. Go to start the car, everything in the dash turns on, everything works but the car will not turn on. After a bit of troubleshooting, i found that removing the negative terminal from the batter for a few minutes and then putting back on, allows the car to turn on! Not a great workaround but it gets me out of a pinch.

Testing the batter voltage, I'm at roughly 12ish in off position. I dip into the 9.5's during start, and hover at 14ish when completely on. From what i'm reading, under 10 volts starting the car is not a good sign. Considering my battery is 3+yrs old, I was thinking it's a battery issue.

Car is currently in the dealer for some general maintenance stuff and I had them look into this. Will report back progress when I hear from them.
I experienced the same thing, and "pulled the negative" on the battery the first time it happened, as well.

From what i learned, disconnecting the battery in that way would lead to no error codes being recorded, so the dealer would not be able to diagnose or fix the issue (thats what my dealer told me). So the second time it happened(at an intersection), i managed to turn the car off by taking my foot off the brake pedal and pressing the 'start' button on the steering wheel, and then trying to start the car up again. Fortunately it did. I turned off 'auto-start-stop', and drove it straight to the dealer. They ended up replacing a relay.

The dealer also told me that this issue gets worse over time, which means that it would happen more often, or take more tries to get it to start when it does happen. So if you experience it, get it taken care of ASAP (and make sure to turn off 'auto-stop-start' until you get it fixed; you do not want this to happen on the road).

For reference, here's the thread: Car wont start. And stuck on “on” (help)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got it back today, dealership was super helpful and there was no charge, even though warranty was out by a few months but I had it in before warranty was out for the same thing. Once again, no codes shown and no warning lights on but they did replace starter relay as “good will” gesture. Unfortunately when I got in to leave, although it did start (big plus), all warning lights were back on, and DNA was inoperable. Oh well……they took it back in, I am assuming to reset codes. Brought it back out and although the warning lights were off, DNA would not change. I needed the car for the weekend so let them know I’d be back next week. Tech thought maybe a computer connection issue? Halfway through the drive, DNA came back on board. Hoping it was just catching up.
Update
The best laid plans….. so a little less than a month after having the dreaded starter relay issue (again) and have the relays replaced, things have gone along swimmingly, until this week. Two days now, after the car has sat for the night, I’ve gotten in to start it and the starter is getting hung and it isn’t starting. After initial panic the starter would burn up before I could get it disconnected, I used my rational brain and took my foot off the brake, hit the start button again (with the starter still whirring away) and it’s gone off. It then starts back the next time, just fine, except all of the warning lights are back on and Dynamic is inoperable. I can turn it off and on 2-3 cycles and all lights go off. I did a quick scan of the forum and nay have missed others with this issue? Is it really possible the relays made it just 25 days?? I have to believe that it’s related to the original issue of not starting at all. Anyone else experienced this? I’m dreading that 3 hour trek back to the dealership……

·
Registered
872 Posts
Update
The best laid plans….. so a little less than a month after having the dreaded starter relay issue (again) and have the relays replaced, things have gone along swimmingly, until this week. Two days now, after the car has sat for the night, I’ve gotten in to start it and the starter is getting hung and it isn’t starting. After initial panic the starter would burn up before I could get it disconnected, I used my rational brain and took my foot off the brake, hit the start button again (with the starter still whirring away) and it’s gone off. It then starts back the next time, just fine, except all of the warning lights are back on and Dynamic is inoperable. I can turn it off and on 2-3 cycles and all lights go off. I did a quick scan of the forum and nay have missed others with this issue? Is it really possible the relays made it just 25 days?? I have to believe that it’s related to the original issue of not starting at all. Anyone else experienced this? I’m dreading that 3 hour trek back to the dealership……
Take the battery out and take it to the Zone and have them check it out. Even new batteries go bad.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,842 Posts
I have a very similar issue currently -
foot on brake
press start button
instrument panel lights up as per normal
however i get 2-3 second delay of silence (no cranking or sputtering, or relay switch noises ) - just a silent pause with all lights on bright, before the car actually starts, accompanied by a check engine/start stop unavailable/ no DNA
switch off - car will start normally, and able to clear errors with 5 restarts, all of which work fine

went and had battery checked - 12.59 volts and reading 731 CCA
battery is the original 2017 battery and have been meaning to replace it soon

auto electrician suggested it could be the fob battery sending a weak signal at start up ( i did notice the car would not unlock a couple of times recently ) so that made sense

replaced fob battery yesterday and gave it a good clean - careful not to touch contact points or the battery with fingers

going downstairs now to do a cold start ....

to be continued ...

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I had to replace all my remote batteries in both cars. One at 3 years, the other at almost 2. Those batteries are hit or miss, even new, even name brand.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I had to replace all my remote batteries in both cars. One at 3 years, the other at almost 2. Those batteries are hit or miss, even new, even name brand.
i went to check my unused spare after 2 years and it was as dead as a dodo, would not even lock the car -

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good idea, put a new battery in last year and don’t live in a cold environment.
started fine
24 hours so far and no repeat of what was becoming an increasingly frequent issue (was happening daily on first start, sometimes twice a day, for the last week )

interesting
yep, that’s what mine was doing before it went in for relay replacement. For all intent and purposes the car thought it was on, it just wasn’t. I’ve had it in for that issue before, after leaving me stranded in the highway, they replaced relays. The issue now is the starter is actually kicking in, just not starting, getting stuck and sounding like a buzz saw! I had a new battery put in last year when starting was an issue, nothing helped until the relays were replaced. Now this is a whole new level of what?????!!
it has to be connected to the previous issue, just makes no sense.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
im not getting any sort of unusual sounds - there may be different causes for various start problems in this thread. Your new problem could be something they did when they replaced the relay, if it was the relay that need to be replaced and not the starter in the first place

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
415 Posts
Update
Is your car still under the factory warranty?
Did they replace the relay with the updated version/part number?

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
723 Posts
So I thought I had this issue resolved. I replaced a relay under front right fender and this resolved my no start issue for a while (no cranking at all).

Now, I'm having issue where car is cranking but not firing. Where is the other starter relay? I have extra relays on hand, just need to know which one to replace.

Of course today I'm tracking my car and this just had to happen now.

·
Vendor
1,328 Posts
So I thought I had this issue resolved. I replaced a relay under front right fender and this resolved my no start issue for a while (no cranking at all).

Now, I'm having issue where car is cranking but not firing. Where is the other starter relay? I have extra relays on hand, just need to know which one to replace.

Hi Drew,
We'd suggest contacting your local dealer for diagnosis of your concerns as they're in the best position to assist. If you need any additional support alongside them, feel free to send us a PM.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is your car still under the factory warranty?
Did they replace the relay with the updated version/part number?
Warranty ran out 3 months ago. Fortunately it’s been in forever the issue while still under warranty so it was covered. Since it was just in last month, I’m assuming they used the most up to date part, may need to check.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Drew, Curious to know what you find out. This sounds very similar to the issue I’m having now, just after having the starter relay replaced.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts