Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start Stop - In my opinion Great for city traffic jams but annoying for regular driving and I assume must creat more engine wear.
Can the start stop be disabled w the push of a button with the 4 cylinder TI model ?
Thank you

Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Start Stop - In my opinion Great for city traffic jams but annoying for regular driving and I assume must creat more engine wear.
Can the start stop be disabled w the push of a button with the 4 cylinder TI model ?
Thank you

Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA
1st question I asked when I test drove and the answer is yes. Where the option is though I have no clue. I presume spending a few minutes with the in dash options or manual should yield the answer.

Reactions: Russell DeJulio

·
Registered
43 Posts
My only wish was it defaulted back to last setting after key start instead of having to push it off every time. I've never been a fan of the feature but I'm trying to get use to it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
From alfabb forum don't worry about temps, turbo and auto-stop

"Also you do not need to worry about turbocharger temperature when the engine is off. Giulia has the same turbo cooling system (after-run electric pump which can works up to 10 minutes after engine was off) as 4C and american 1.4 Turbo Multiair.

The 2.0 GME has two completely separate cooling circuits: the high temperature loop feeds the engine block and head, engine oil, low pressure EGR and cabin heater, and the low temperature one cools the intercooler and turbo. The HT circuit has a belt-driven pump, while the LT one has an electric pump. Both loops have electronic bypass valves rather than conventional thermostats"

·
Registered
576 Posts
From alfabb forum don't worry about temps, turbo and auto-stop

"Also you do not need to worry about turbocharger temperature when the engine is off. Giulia has the same turbo cooling system (after-run electric pump which can works up to 10 minutes after engine was off) as 4C and american 1.4 Turbo Multiair.

The 2.0 GME has two completely separate cooling circuits: the high temperature loop feeds the engine block and head, engine oil, low pressure EGR and cabin heater, and the low temperature one cools the intercooler and turbo. The HT circuit has a belt-driven pump, while the LT one has an electric pump. Both loops have electronic bypass valves rather than conventional thermostats"
My M3 has the same thing which is peace of mind after a spirited drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Start / stop - dangerous situation

I am driving Alfa Romeo Giulia Launch Edition, and I want to share with you a normal driving occasion, with a perfectly normal sequence of events:
Imagine that you are coming to a complete stop by the sidewalk at the end of a trip, and the Start-Stop shuts the engine off automatically. You normally press the Stop button to cut off the engine, but the engine is already off and nothing happens. You release the brake on your way out of the car, but all of a sudden the engine comes to life automatically, and the car jumps forwards.

I find this situation very dangerous and seek an advice.

1. What should I do to avoid this dangerous situation ?
2. Can the Start / Stop be deactivated as a default ?

Arik
Haifa, Israel

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
I am driving Alfa Romeo Giulia Launch Edition, and I want to share with you a normal driving occasion, with a perfectly normal sequence of events:
Imagine that you are coming to a complete stop by the sidewalk at the end of a trip, and the Start-Stop shuts the engine off automatically. You normally press the Stop button to cut off the engine, but the engine is already off and nothing happens. You release the brake on your way out of the car, but all of a sudden the engine comes to life automatically, and the car jumps forwards.

I find this situation very dangerous and seek an advice.

1. What should I do to avoid this dangerous situation ?
2. Can the Start / Stop be deactivated as a default ?

Arik
Haifa, Israel
This wouldn't happen if you put the car in park before pressing the start/stop button to turn off the engine. The car would not launch forward. This was a drivers error.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,061 Posts
Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I have the same issue. Try to go really light on the brake so as not to activate stop/start before you turn off the car ( push the start button). Whenever I get this wrong it ends up that the car motor turns on an unnecessary additional time. I think this is terrible. We can learn around it but I would bet this ends up in a safety recall ( remember the killer Jeep Cherokee shift lever problems from a couple years back?). I can just see my father-in-law borrowing my car and then plowing it into something as he starts to get out...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,061 Posts
Yeah, creeping seems to work. However, I wonder whether it stresses the brakes or anything else.

I thought that shifter recall was much ado about nothing. I had two cars with it and never had a problem. It was certainly simpler than the Giulia's shifter and that too is a piece of cake. Maybe fathers-in-law are the problem? My wife might agree.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
You actually don't have to creep forward. The brakes can stop the car- just don't push harder to engage stop/start.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I honestly think the start/stop feature is not that useful, but I also think anyone who is afraid of it launching your car when you get out is a dangerous driver to begin with. If you base your decision to exit the car on the status of the engine being off, regardless of whether you remember turning it off, and regardless of position of the transmission and parking brake, I think you should stick with taxis.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
I picked up my Giulia Ti about two weeks ago. The start/stop feature is annoying at first, but I can tell you after 2 weeks I hardly notice it. I had been driving an Audi A4 for two weeks (as a loaner) that also had the start/stop, and the Giulia's system is much better, smoother and quicker.

You do get used to it. If you really really continue to dislike it, there is a button on the dash that you just press to shut it off. It could not be easier. I read up about this "feature" and discovered that every new car will have it by 2020 to meet new federally mandated fuel efficiency requirements. It defaults back to the "on" position every time you restart the car, because if they did not do that, the manufacturer could not take credit for the 2-3% claimed improvement in the gas mileage.

I thought I was going to hate it, but I love driving my Giulia so much, this is a non-factor.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, Vesuvio Grey, Red Calipers, Red Leather interior, Every Option!!
69 Posts
Auto Start/Stop On/Off Button

Turn off the Auto Stop/Start by pressing the bottom button on the far left of the dash with the "A" (below the button with the "P", the "P" is to turn off the parking assist system)... and yes, you must turn it off every time the car is started. I am a household with 3 new vehicles and all of them have this Auto Stop/Start feature -- I must say that the Giulia's is the best performing of the 3 (smooth/quick/quiet), that being said... whatever car I choose to take that day, I always turn that function off right after starting the vehicle!?!? A little tip to 'get around it', that I have found to work pretty well, is to not press too hard on the brake pedal when having to stop. You can press it down hard enough to stop and stay stopped (obviously) but just don't really press the brake pedal hard and the start/stop feature can be 'tricked' ? Drive it and experiment with it and get that 'feel' for it. Like the lane change blinker vs the blinker or the auto down window vs moving the window down just a bit... same kind of feel and just experience with get you perfect!! (or just shut it off every time you get in) Hope this helped, (at least) a little?!

DrEndAll

PS - I just love the **** out of my new '17 Giulia Ti Q4!! (had to add that!)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 84 Posts