Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is an issue or is normal, but when I'm on a hill (e.g., in traffic), start/stop kicks in and stops the engine. Hill assist doesn't engage when "stop" feature kicks in. So when I lift my foot off the break, there's a 1-2 second window where the car is rolling back and pressing on the accelerator isn't doing anything because the engine is starting back up.

I'm sure I can release the break to "start" the engine and then reengage the break and then accelerate, but geez...

Anyone have any tips? (other than disabling start/stop) My last car I could go from break to accelerator quickly with minimal rollback, but that one didn't have start/stop messing around.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
While keeping your foot on the brake, tap (and I mean just tap) the gas pedal. The car should come back to life without slipping downhill and off you go!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've "learned" almost subconsciously to ease up on the brake without fully releasing (maybe even let the wheels start to turn) and that will start the engine and not roll -- good for hills, sprints across heavy traffic, etc. If you think about it BEFORE it's time to go, you can reach over and turn off the start/stop, and that will start it right away, while you're still on the brake.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I've "learned" almost subconsciously to ease up on the brake without fully releasing (maybe even let the wheels start to turn) and that will start the engine and not roll -- good for hills, sprints across heavy traffic, etc. If you think about it BEFORE it's time to go, you can reach over and turn off the start/stop, and that will start it right away, while you're still on the brake.
That’s what I’ve gotten in the habit of doing as well. As soon as the engine stops, I lighten pressure on the brake enough that the engine restarts, but the car stays put until I’m ready to go.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
how do you activate hill assist and what does it exactly do?

·
Registered
765 Posts
The main purpose is to stop the vehicle from rolling when stopped on an incline after the brake is released. It is particularly helpful for manual transmission cars when stopped on a hill because you can’t use your foot on the brake when you have one on the clutch and the other on the accelerator. If the car had a handbrake, one could use that to stop rolling but many cars incusing ours don’t have these anymore. I don’t think it is useful for auto trany cars. I live half way up a mountain in Switzerland and have a manual so it is used constantly.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I believe there is a setting for it. It then works automatically when you are on an incline. I forgot to mention - it only gives you a few extra seconds before you start to roll but enough to give you time to press the accelerator to start to move forward.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The main purpose is to stop the vehicle from rolling when stopped on an incline after the brake is released. It is particularly helpful for manual transmission cars when stopped on a hill because you can’t use your foot on the brake when you have one on the clutch and the other on the accelerator. If the car had a handbrake, one could use that to stop rolling but many cars incusing ours don’t have these anymore. I don’t think it is useful for auto trany cars. I live half way up a mountain in Switzerland and have a manual so it is used constantly.
The way I learned to drive was to hold the car on the hill with the clutch for the short time it takes to get your right foot from the brake to the accelerator. Handbrake not required.

But the main thing about the Alfas seems to be that the hill-hold feature is not implemented correctly on the car. If the car can roll backwards when on a hill because of the start/stop something is wrong. It should never do that -- it's a serious safety issue. I don't think it is a defect on the OP's particular car -- it has happened to me too.

·
Registered
765 Posts
[QUOTE
The way I learned to drive was to hold the car on the hill with the clutch for the short time it takes to get your right foot from the brake to the accelerator. Handbrake not required..[/QUOTE]

On a steep hill you would burn your clutch or roll into the car behind you with that technique.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm sure I can release the break to "start" the engine and then reengage the break and then accelerate, but geez...

Anyone have any tips? (other than disabling start/stop) My last car I could go from break to accelerator quickly with minimal rollback, but that one didn't have start/stop messing around.
If you move the gearshift lever in any way when stopped at a light the engine will re-start without taking your foot off the brake.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wish this car had a "brake hold" feature at lights like my last one had. It obviously is capable of it since it does it automatically when using cruise and coming to a stop.

My last car allowed restart by slightly moving the steering wheel, not sure why this one doesn't work that way too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
On a steep hill you would burn your clutch or roll into the car behind you with that technique.
I knew I would hear this. I've been driving straight drive cars for over 50 years in mountains and I never burned a clutch OR rolled into the car behind me. You only hold it for the amount of time it takes to get your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts