Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been searching for a long long time all the info with regards to base audio upgrade, both here, and in alfaowner forum.
And I mean really specifically for the base audio setup - the 8 speakers one. The one without amp and sub. Not the premium, not the HK.
I have seen quite a lot of upgrade setups going from the premium audio, and/or the HK audio.
However, all the threads and posts I have seen regarding the base audio are pretty much inconclusive.
I have yet to see an actual build/ upgrade of the standard base audio.
There is this guy on the other forum that was planning to do this but no updates on that thread for over a month.

So far what I have gathered:
- For some people the base speakers are ok, especially after break-in but to some people lacking good eq and bass can be distorted when cranked up
- DIY is not really recommended due to potential issues
- The issues include some error messages due to non-original speakers/ tampering with audio cables/ signals.

Have anyone actually done the upgrade and can share what upgrade they have done and whether they are running issue-free?

I just want to get a good eq on the std speakers and potentially add a simple sub (so the speakers can focus on the mid-range)
My previous car ran the following setup: Pioneer head, Gladen speakers+tweeters front, and Pioneer 2 way speakers back and I am already quite happy with that setup.
I did eq the heck out of the speakers and dampened the door quite well. But they are quite basic upgrade speakers, nothing too fancy - still I liked the sound a lot.
(Mostly listening to Pop, rock, blues, soul, definitely not EDM or anything very bass centric)
But in the Giulia I felt that there's something missing.
Can someone help me out?

·
Registered
202 Posts
IMO the base audio is very good. I use my iPhone as a source and listen to internet station Radio Paradise via LTE. Don't listen to SiriusXM as a source because it has terrible quality (very low bitrate lossy compression) and sounds even worse the better the system is. Cars are a lousy environment for listening to music because of the background noise.

Reactions: ColumbusGiulia

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have been searching for a long long time all the info with regards to base audio upgrade, both here, and in alfaowner forum.
And I mean really specifically for the base audio setup - the 8 speakers one. The one without amp and sub. Not the premium, not the HK.
I have seen quite a lot of upgrade setups going from the premium audio, and/or the HK audio.
However, all the threads and posts I have seen regarding the base audio are pretty much inconclusive.
There is this guy on the other forum that was planning to do this but no updates on that thread for over a month.

- For some people the base speakers are ok, especially after break-in but to some people lacking good eq and bass can be distorted when cranked up
- DIY is not really recommended due to potential issues
- The issues include some error messages due to non-original speakers/ tampering with audio cables/ signals.

Have anyone actually done the upgrade and can share what upgrade they have done and whether they are running issue-free?

I just want to get a good eq on the std speakers and potentially add a simple sub (so the speakers can focus on the mid-range)
My previous car ran the following setup: Pioneer head, Gladen speakers+tweeters front, and Pioneer 2 way speakers back and I am already quite happy with that setup.
I did eq the heck out of the speakers and dampened the door quite well. But they are quite basic upgrade speakers, nothing too fancy - still I liked the sound a lot.
(Mostly listening to Pop, rock, blues, soul, definitely not EDM or anything very bass centric)
Can someone help me out?

We are on the same boat bro. I can't seem to find anyone setting up the base system that works well for the Giulia. I'm afraid to tamper with it cus it will void the warranty. Like you I find the sound system very weak my daily driver an Accord LX has better system when listening to pandora or itunes. It's a waiting game for now....

·
Registered
192 Posts
From Vegas

And Mini it doesn't matter what I use it still sound the same to me specially when cranked up it's just annoying loud the lack of bass is very evident.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am from Europe, and I have the base base - so without subwoofer.
I have to say that after a month or so of burn in, the standard speakers do sound better.
Now it is almost acceptable, but for sure I still miss a bit of low ends.
I think that if I free up that space by using sub, the std speakers will really shine.

@glennp, if u just got the car, give it a month or so to burn in, you'll notice that afterwards, the std speakers will be quite acceptable.
but if you are used to a properly setup audio in your previous car, then you will still miss something, yes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Are you from Europe? From what I remember here in the US there are only 2 systems - base and HK.

There was a lot of confusion over this in the first half of 2017. The Alfa USA published feature availability PDF listed three systems, base (8 speaker) which was standard, then a premium 400W 10 speaker with subwoofer listed as a package option, then the HK system at the top of the food chain. To make matters worse dealers were providing conflicting info about the specs of the base system at that time as well... I got answers of 100W, 180W and 280W for the base system.

2017 USA Feature Availability PDF showing three different audio systems

2018 USA Feature Availability PDF showing just two different audio systems

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There was a lot of confusion over this in the first half of 2017. The Alfa USA published feature availability PDF listed three systems, base (8 speaker) which was standard, then a premium 400W 10 speaker with subwoofer listed as a package option, then the HK system at the top of the food chain. To make matters worse dealers were providing conflicting info about the specs of the base system at that time as well... I got answers of 100W, 180W and 280W for the base system.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Looking at the window sticker, it seems I got the 8 speaker system.
Which I don't mind, I find it adequate at high volume.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's just say, the question is solely for the only setup without sub.
I still cant believe that no one has upgraded this yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts

• For some people the base speakers are ok, especially after break-in but to some people lacking good eq and bass can be distorted when cranked up
  • DIY is not really recommended due to potential issues
  • The issues include some error messages due to non-original speakers/ tampering with audio cables/ signals.

Can someone help me out?
Did you ever go through with this? Im currently in the same pickle. I got a 2020 giulia, had all the specs i wanted but the audio oddly enough was the base. Im currently in the process of slowly upgrading the speakers inside with Kappa 60csx. Eventually ill add a sub and dynaflex the entire thing. Please let me know what you ended up with.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Did you ever go through with this? Im currently in the same pickle. I got a 2020 giulia, had all the specs i wanted but the audio oddly enough was the base. Im currently in the process of slowly upgrading the speakers inside with Kappa 60csx. Eventually ill add a sub and dynaflex the entire thing. Please let me know what you ended up with.
For the amplifier upgrade you could try something like this:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts