Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering for those who have the standard stereo unit and Harmon Kardon upgrade, How would you rate the sound?

I'm debating whether to go for the base version or the Ti w/ the Harmon Kardon add on. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a Ti with the Harmon Kardon and find it to be a noticeable downgrade in sound quality from what I had in my Audi. curious as to what others think?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Interested in the answers because after my experience with the Harman Kardon system in my 330i I decided not to pay for it the Giulia. It just didn't seem worth the $900.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Audio Break in is definitely a thing. Took about 2k Miles for my audio to really start hitting hard on the bass. Even every now and then its a bit to subtle for my tastes but if this is subtle I can only imagine what a downgraded system sounds like.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Audio Break in is definitely a thing. Took about 2k Miles for my audio to really start hitting hard on the bass. Even every now and then its a bit to subtle for my tastes but if this is subtle I can only imagine what a downgraded system sounds like.
I hope that is true regarding audio break in!! I only have 200 miles on my car, so a ways to go yet!! Thankfully, there is so much else about the car that I love, so I can live with the sound quality the way it is if it doesn't change.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I found my 440 watt, 10 speaker ELS stereo in my '14 Acura sounded significantly better than the stereo in the base Giulia, and even somewhat better than the 900w premium HK system. However, though I have some high frequency hearing loss, tinnitus, and some mild loss of speech discrimination in a crowded room, I could tell the difference beteeen the base and upgraded stereos. I will keep the Giulia for a few if not several years. For that time period and the difference in sound I could perceive, I thought it was worth it. You only live once, right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering for those who have the standard stereo unit and Harmon Kardon upgrade, How would you rate the sound?

I'm debating whether to go for the base version or the Ti w/ the Harmon Kardon add on. Is it worth it?

Thanks!
I have QV with HK (I think that all of the QV's that have been brought in have the upgrade). I have 1,100 miles on mine. I would give the sound quality a B. Particularly at lower volumes. I have found that if it gets cranked up loud (say enough so you can't hear the turn signals) the quality improves significantly. Also hoping it improves with some additional breakin time - but agree that I'll settle for the audio as is for everything else that I love about driving this car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi. I did not sample the HK upgrade system, as I wanted to keep my Giulia as close to base price as possible, but my standard Audio is really poor ! Some aftermarket speakers may help the situation but it is far from Hi-Fi.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't know whether you are looking for 3rd party replacement speakers, but if you figure out any replacement options please post them. Beucase I'm now feeling like getting the std speakers was a bad choice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't know whether you are looking for 3rd party replacement speakers, but if you figure out any replacement options please post them. Beucase I'm now feeling like getting the std speakers was a bad choice.
Have not looked yet, maybe will do at some stage, will post something in that case. I am sure a reputable shop can replace the speakers with some with better quality that will fit.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Most manufactors of Hi-end audio for cars they measure and EQ the amp for the speakers and interior freq response and phasing. So just replacing speakers sometimes make things worse. Everybody's hearing is different and changes with time (old people like myself lose Hi freq).
Phase is very difficult in a car with speakers facing each other. Depending on where your head is you will hear a different freq response.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks for all of your input.
Your welcome, sometime it's hard to discuss technical issues so everyone will understand in a limited space.
PS I'm a retired Broadcast engineer (Tv, audio, video)

Reactions: Alfa in Vegas

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a Ti with the HK sound system. I do feel like I have to turn it up pretty loud - but I also work in radio and have some hearing loss from wearing headphones my entire adult life. I didn't listen to the standard system so I can't compare it with that. I don't think it is the greatest sound system, ever, but I don't really have any huge complaints about it. The surround sound function does make a difference, but as riparke said, this system was developed just for the interior of this car, so messing with it may make things worse. And I'd definitely trust the word of a broadcast engineer!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a Ti with the HK sound system. I do feel like I have to turn it up pretty loud - but I also work in radio and have some hearing loss from wearing headphones my entire adult life. I didn't listen to the standard system so I can't compare it with that. I don't think it is the greatest sound system, ever, but I don't really have any huge complaints about it. The surround sound function does make a difference, but as riparke said, this system was developed just for the interior of this car, so messing with it may make things worse. And I'd definitely trust the word of a broadcast engineer!
Thank you, But I know nothing, I don't trust my own words.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Yea, I decided to go for the upgraded HK route, don't want to mess with the standard system. Just took the plunge and custom order a Blue Ti with 10 spoke wheel and the HK system. :smile2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Guys!

New to the forums and I just purchased my Giulia Ti today however the HK sound system was unavailable so I went with the standard system. I'm hoping someone has some incite about upgrading the sound system if need be, which I'm assuming will be the case. If anyone has any success, it would be awesome to post it here.

Thanks,
V

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
I have HK in my Rover and I don't plan on buying one with the HK, seems pretty lame compared to the Bose systems in my dad's Audi or my mom's ex-Fiat 500 ... I'm not too picky with audio systems though

1 - 20 of 140 Posts