Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ti was stalling immediately after refueling right when I bought it. Took it to the dealer and they replicated the issue and pushed a software update that stopped the stalling. But it was still sputtering after refueling but wasn't stalling completely.

Today I took it in again (to fix the amplifier-moisture issue - TSB S1708000020) and during this fix they also pushed a couple of new updates to it and now the car is only hanging on by a thread after refueling (comes really, really close to stalling).

Wondering if anybody else is having the same issue.

The note in the work order for the software update reads:
- PERFORM SOFTWARE UPDATES: 18-039-17 FOR POWER TRAIN - CAUSE: REPROGRAM ECM
- PERFORM SOFTWARE UPDATES: 18-19-06-QU ENGINE CONTROL MODULE INSPECT AND REPROGRAM

Anybody else getting these updates?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also have a Ti, only 1100 miles and haven't refueled much. No stumbling or stalling behavior. Dealer has not contacted me about updates. Is fuel cap on tightly? Did they check that? Or possible air leak in fuel filler tube. Other fuel starvation issues like pump, clogged or malfunctioning fuel filter?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a Ti, only 1100 miles and haven't refueled much. No stumbling or stalling behavior. Dealer has not contacted me about updates. Is fuel cap on tightly? Did they check that? Or possible air leak in fuel filler tube. Other fuel starvation issues like pump, clogged or malfunctioning fuel filter?
They confirmed it was an actual software issue (some sort of a valve was not programmed to close/open on the right interval). Waay past the obvious stuff (fuel cap not closing, bad gas, etc.).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same problem and I have a base Giulia, almost 90% of the times, I'm going to the dealer again today, im glad to know it happen to others

·
Registered
56 Posts
very worrisome along with the other issues on this forum. I am not going to buy until the kinks are worked out.
+1
Think I'll hold off a bit, no need to be an early adapter. Recently I read an article on automobile makers reliability rating, FAC was at the bottom of the list. With all the marketing effort on Alfa I'm hoping they can make this a vehicle to turn that rating upward. Time and miles will tell.

Paul

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK this is another one. Glad I am waiting too. But my 360 is a late model with a similar engine to the earlier 355. 5 valves per cylinder. Awesome sound, even better than the 430, and late enough that the original valve guide, headers and first ever F1 transmission quirks were all worked out. Now the exhaust ecus still suck but not as bad with the newer green silicon. Most of that issue is due to engine heat and not enough ventilation anyway. Even one of the service reps at FoNE here suggested waiting precisely for this kind of reason.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the same problem and I have a base Giulia, almost 90% of the times, I'm going to the dealer again today, im glad to know it happen to others
I'm happy to see somebody else has the same issue (also sorry that you have to deal with it).

Good thing is that Alfa Premium Care and the dealer are very attentive so far, and they're taking it pretty seriously. They said the update they pushed to my car is going through EPA and CA emissions before they can make a TSB of it (apparently everything emissions related goes through this process). But based on my most recent experience refueling, they have not resolved this yet.

I also just talked to Alfa Premium Care and they tell me that they will call the dealer, get to the bottom of it, and schedule me to bring the car back. I'll keep whoever is interested posted on this thread.

I really love my car, I just would love it more if I didn't have to deal with this issue.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
+1
Think I'll hold off a bit, no need to be an early adapter. Recently I read an article on automobile makers reliability rating, FAC was at the bottom of the list. With all the marketing effort on Alfa I'm hoping they can make this a vehicle to turn that rating upward. Time and miles will tell.

Paul
Actually, FCA is no longer at the bottom, that is more Land Rover territory now ... FCA actually had the biggest jump to the upside compared to the previous year and is showing strength ... The Giorgio platform is one of the biggest projects in years, it's pretty much all eggs in one basket and cannot be a failure

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm happy to see somebody else has the same issue (also sorry that you have to deal with it).

Good thing is that Alfa Premium Care and the dealer are very attentive so far, and they're taking it pretty seriously. They said the update they pushed to my car is going through EPA and CA emissions before they can make a TSB of it (apparently everything emissions related goes through this process). But based on my most recent experience refueling, they have not resolved this yet.

I also just talked to Alfa Premium Care and they tell me that they will call the dealer, get to the bottom of it, and schedule me to bring the car back. I'll keep whoever is interested posted on this thread.

I really love my car, I just would love it more if I didn't have to deal with this issue.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know that Alfa Care is actively working on this and hope your issue get sorted out soon!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the update I got on this topic today, relevant info is in bold.

Case #:
VIN:
Vehicle Description: ALFA GIULIA TI FOUR DOOR SEDAN

Hello Mr. Fonseka, I am reaching out to you per our conversation today. After speaking with the dealership the Service Manager has advised that he is already looking into the rear tires for you and will advise you as soon as he has some information for you. As to the vehicle sputtering after refueling. The Service Manager has update your vehicle to the newest information and is monitoring for the next update from our engineering department. The update is supposed to be released in April sometime. We would like to follow up with you as we work towards this update as the dealership can not move forward until the update is released. Both Alfa Romeo Premium Care and Alfa Romeo of Walnut Creek will be watching for this update and reach out to you as soon as it is available to fix this issue for you. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach me via email or at 1-844-253-2872. Thank you for your patience in this matter. Geremy | Case Manager Alfa Romeo Premium Care.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is there a way around this, such as not filling the tank or drive it for X number of miles, and then it clears up?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Here's a guess... when you add fuel, do not fill to the auto shutoff point. Do not top off. Something may be happening with the vapor return and pressurization system near max capacity that is causing problems. On some Ferraris, you can activate the auto shutoff way too early because of vapor pressure and the fluid mechanics of everything going on during fueling. IIRC, the vapor return system was either too restrictive or could get clogged up over time (need techron...) and that built pressure and set everything out of whack. When the tank is full, there may not be enough empty volume in the vapor return system to operate normally without throwing codes in the emissions sensors. This is just a guess, but I have dealt with fueling issues both on my Ferraris and Miata. There is also a pressure damper on modern FI systems up at the end of the hard line, before the soft line that connects to the fuel rail which feeds the injectors. Mine got shifted when I had major surgery on the front frame rails this winter. Work was critical, but the crowding resulted in wear to a fuel elbow and a small leak. Thank God I could smell it and found it right away.

The point is, there are many parts even in the fuel and vapor return system itself, where things can go wrong. Try the tip above and add some techron or cleaner and see if it helps. A filter or damper may need to be upgraded if it isn't performing properly. Or fuel pump.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Have not had any issues with my Quadrifoglio at all...1,200 in so far. Just went in for software updates to be proactive but never saw/felt any issues.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
Mine stalled yesterday, I fueled my car twice so far and it stalled the second time. It actually shifted itself to Neutral gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same Problem with Fiat 500x

I have the same problem on my Fiat 500X. There's something wrong with the vapor recovery system solenoid that fills the entire system with fuel after fill up. It happened in December when the car had 400 miles and they replaced the solenoid. Last week I got to parking lot and rear canister was leaking fuel all over again after I had filled up that same morning. Car stalled on me 5 times on the way home on the highway.

Obviously same numnuts that designed 500X fuel system designed the Giulia system. Two more trips to the dealer and I can lemon law it!! Cars been at dealer 2 weeks now with no solution next step is to replace entire fuel tank.

Tell dealer to check all the solenoids and to empty all the canisters of raw fuel or the care will keep stalling.

Same problems are happening on Renegades as well

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...s-fixed-vent-hose-disconnected-fuel-pump.html

Sandro

·
Registered
83 Posts
mine has done this every time I let the Gas fill up to the top, not force filling it, but letting the Fuel Nozzle stop it... what i have found is that it definitely does not Stall if you just put in a few gallons and not let the Fuel Nozzle fill up and stop it... Another workaround I found is that if you do top off and wait about 5 minutes, it will not stall...And yet another workaround i found is that once i start it, i press on the gas pedal a bit to 4KRpm in park of course, and then put it in Dynamic mode to leave the gas station, this method does stutter a bit but I am able to not Stall out...Hope Alfa finds the cure soon.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the same problem on my Fiat 500X. There's something wrong with the vapor recovery system solenoid that fills the entire system with fuel after fill up. It happened in December when the car had 400 miles and they replaced the solenoid. Last week I got to parking lot and rear canister was leaking fuel all over again after I had filled up that same morning. Car stalled on me 5 times on the way home on the highway.

Obviously same numnuts that designed 500X fuel system designed the Giulia system. Two more trips to the dealer and I can lemon law it!! Cars been at dealer 2 weeks now with no solution next step is to replace entire fuel tank.

Tell dealer to check all the solenoids and to empty all the canisters of raw fuel or the care will keep stalling.

Same problems are happening on Renegades as well

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...s-fixed-vent-hose-disconnected-fuel-pump.html

Sandro
Thanks for the feedback. Your Fiat 500X experience sounds horrible. Alfa Romeo flew in an engineer to the dealership when I first brought the car in with this issue, I'm confident that they covered all the obvious potential root causes (maybe I'm too confident in their engineering process). During the last phone call with them, they said Alfa Romeo has not yet finalized the fix for this issue, but they expect to have it ready in April.

The Fiat 500X has been around since 2014, right? I wonder if this is just an issue with newer FCA cars or if this is an old issue that has not yet been resolved? I'm really hoping for the former and not the latter.

Hate the idea of having to return the car and end up getting another one that may or may not have this same issue, it would just leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm hoping that anybody else experiencing the same issue will call their dealer to complain (just to get more attention/pressure on this issue).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts