Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Forum,

Looking to change out the stock wheels of my Giulia Ti to the 5 hole Alfa wheels or the Technico wheels and have been looking for information on whether to stagger them or not. I've searched the forum but can't find much in terms of performance pros/ cons on a staggered setup. Can you offer your opinion or point me in the direction of a thread that I might have overlooked? Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the staggered setup on my Giulia Ti: 19" x 8" 225/40 front, 19" x 9" 255/35 rear. Don't know how the handling feels in comparison to square setup, but it looks good, IMHO!

Hope this helps.

Reactions: bobbycees

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Forum,

Looking to change out the stock wheels of my Giulia Ti to the 5 hole Alfa wheels or the Technico wheels and have been looking for information on whether to stagger them or not. I've searched the forum but can't find much in terms of performance pros/ cons on a staggered setup. Can you offer your opinion or point me in the direction of a thread that I might have overlooked? Thanks and Happy New Year!
I also have a staggered set up on dark 5 hole wheels - 19 X 8 225/35 and 19 X 9 rear on 265/30.
It does look really good on the car.

But I got it for traction - the car just grabs the road and won't let go. Good thing during "spirited driving".

Reactions: bobbycees

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
Here are the important take-aways that I have found on the forums and elsewhere on this subject:

1) The QV wheels should fit the 2.0T. No reports of anybody trying it.
2) The QV tire size might be a bit heavy for the 2.0T unless you go with the pricey and short life P-Zero Corsas.
3) Some people have had rubbing problems with one of the front tires on a stock QV. QV sits a little lower than 2.0T so maybe that would not happen on the 2.0T. It does not appear to happen on all QVs.
4) I was told that understeer can become a problem with a staggered setup with the Q4. I don't think anybody has tried it.
5) It is supposedly better for handling if the rim width is slightly wider than the actual tread width. The objective is to "stretch" the sidewalls slightly in order to reduce sway in the tire. Note that for most tires the actual tread width is noticeably smaller than the tread width number on the casing. Tirerack has actual tread width numbers online. For m ost 255 width tires, a 9.5" wide rim seems to be optimum. The downside with this scheme is that it exposes the rim to easier curb damage. Note that OEM Giulia wheels are slightly narrower than the tread width of the matching AR recommended tires.
6) 255 35R19s will fit a square setup RWD 2.0T using the OEM 19x9 5 holes on each corner. See thread by Racer Z on this subject.
7) Smaller diameter wheels are typically lighter in weight even with the same outside diameter tire mounted. Lower wheel weight improves handling, traction, and ride quality, although increasing the sidewall height will increase tire sway. It can be difficult to find smaller diameter, wide wheels. 17 inches is the smallest for the 2.0T (certain euro-spec cars can take 16 inch wheels) while supposedly some 18" wheels can be squeezed onto a QV with iron brakes. 19" is probably best on the QV and mandatory if you have the CCM brakes. Eurocompulsion has 20" wheels on their car.
8) Lots of arguing about what wheel width is best in snow/ice. It should be clear that in deep water narrower is better (less chance of hydroplaning). Unless you have studless snow tires (mountain-snowflake mark) narrower is better on snow/ice. With the studless snow tires the arguing starts--and I think it is likely that it depends on the condition of the snow/ice if wider or narrower is better. I EXPECT that wider is better on packed snow, ice, and deep snow while narrower is better on slush and thin layers of powder.
9) Don't forget, summer tires should not be used in the cold (less than 40F).
10) The Tecnico wheels for the QV are pretty light. I have not found any lighter wheels in those sizes for Giulia to date. Tecnico also makes very light weight 17" wheels to fit Giulia.
11) I cannot find any proper side-by-side tests demonstrating that wider provides more traction. Wider + low inflation pressure is what dragsters use to get a huge amount of traction, but they don't go around corners or go long distances.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Other reference facts from user Macgeek

Q4s come with staggered wheels in other regions of the world.
The axles turn at different speeds by design, as standard.
Maximum overslip is 2.5%.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe the wider the rear (drive) wheels, the better the grip. And staggering cuts down on possible understeer.
I figure if the wizards at Lotus do it, there must be a reason. And it looks great.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Other reference facts from user Macgeek

Q4s come with staggered wheels in other regions of the world.
The axles turn at different speeds by design, as standard.
Maximum overslip is 2.5%.
Thanks for the reminders. I asked MacGeek to clarify the overslip detail by providing the front and rear drive ratios, but got no response. I can make up too many ways to interpret the 2.5% number to have any chance to understand what it means:

1) Front wheels are driven 2.5% faster than rear wheels.
2) Front wheels are driven 2.5% slower than rear wheels.
3) Front and rear wheels are driven at the same speed, but the transfer clutch is only activated when the rear wheels are turning 2.5% faster than the front wheels.
4) Something else that I haven't thought of.

IMO, 3) makes the most sense.

I believe that the concern about Q4 staggered wheel understeer is that when the rear wheels break loose in a turn and the car starts to oversteer the transfer clutch will be activated causing the car to switch suddenly to oversteer. The driver has no chance to know which way to turn the steering. If 3) is correct and the transfer clutch is released as soon as the front wheel "catch up" with the rear wheels, my not very good intuition tells me that the understeer issue won't happen. That is why I noted that no one (in the forum) has tried the staggered setup on a Q4. I don't think you need a track, just some snow or ice to determine if the steering behaves in a predictable manner.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I believe that the concern about Q4 staggered wheel understeer is that when the rear wheels break loose in a turn and the car starts to oversteer the transfer clutch will be activated causing the car to switch suddenly to oversteer. The driver has no chance to know which way to turn the steering. If 3) is correct and the transfer clutch is released as soon as the front wheel "catch up" with the rear wheels, my not very good intuition tells me that the understeer issue won't happen. That is why I noted that no one (in the forum) has tried the staggered setup on a Q4. I don't think you need a track, just some snow or ice to determine if the steering behaves in a predictable manner.

I'll try and find a patch of ice to "test" on this weekend and let you know. :nerd:

Despite the below freezing temperatures we have in the northeast right now there's hardly been any precipitation.

Regarding the overslip I'm interpreting it as if you keep roughly the same rolling diameter between front and rear you'll be good.

Hence my current winter setup of
225/40/18
255/35/18

and potential future summer setup of
235/35/19
275/30/19

Also, just for reference when we went to Lime Rock back in September I was 235/35/19 all around and the car felt very neutral and predictable. I probably could have pushed the car a smidge harder, but I was still learning.

As I prepare for the new season hopefully 275/30/19 doesn't induce too much understeer but I'll definitely have a comparison for sure. But If I'm honest I'm doing it more for looks than for the potential performance gains. Don't judge :smile2:

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
I'll try and find a patch of ice to "test" on this weekend and let you know. :nerd:

Despite the below freezing temperatures we have in the northeast right now there's hardly been any precipitation.

As I prepare for the new season hopefully 275/30/19 doesn't induce too much understeer but I'll definitely have a comparison for sure. But If I'm honest I'm doing it more for looks than for the potential performance gains. Don't judge :smile2:
Head a couple of hours west? Western Penn is under a snow emergency right now.

Why wood I judge, looks matter too? Good looks and performance is the best combination though...

I ordered the 19" sport package; apparently the only thing it does better than the 18" sport package is look better... (it really does look a lot better IMO)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys. Thank you for all of this. Never thought I’d get this response so quickly! I’ll let you know what transpires and upload some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,734 Posts
i believe all Aussie Giulias come as staggered whether 18 inch or 19 inch

i love my
225/40/19 front
255/35/19 rear

i run 37psi front and 39 psi rear which helps with understeer, of which i have not experienced ever, grips like glue on smooth sweeping bends, however the runflats do follow contours and rough patches a bit

not keen on the OEM Bridgestone S001 AR runflats, but will change into something more comfortable when the time comes, Pirelli PZero i would imagine, unless anybody can talk me otherwise

summer conditions here currently and grip is good, wear appears fairly even between front and back, surprisingly, which could be due to either one of two things or both ... the staggered pressures or the near perfect 50/50 weight distribution which would make sense)
obviously there is a little more wear on the rear but not by much and not nearly as much as my old front wheel drive 159 which was very front heavy and would wear treads out by a ratio of almost 2:1

some pics ... you can see the stagger against the white line, and the kerb, ... love it

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm no expert but I believe the wider the rear (drive) wheels, the better the grip. And staggering cuts down on possible understeer.
I figure if the wizards at Lotus do it, there must be a reason. And it looks great.
no. if anything it is to cut down on oversteer. many manufactures tend to build some understeer into the handling dynamics. it keeps the uninitiated off the Armco:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Papa Gallo
How’s it going I saw on one of the forums that you said you had 225/40/19 on the front and 255/35/19 on the rear. Do you know by any chance how wide the wheels were on the front and on the rear.? I know this post was from 2017.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
719 Posts
@Papa Gallo
How’s it going I saw on one of the forums that you said you had 225/40/19 on the front and 255/35/19 on the rear. Do you know by any chance how wide the wheels were on the front and on the rear.? I know this post was from 2017.
Factory stagger is 8" front with 225/40 and 9" rear with 255/35.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts