Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just had ST springs installed on my '18 - went back and forth between STs and '17's and went with the STs. I think the stance looks amazing in person and the ride quality is on par with stock. No rubbing or scraping at all. Got them from #[email protected] Highly recommend the springs and the vendor.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I just had ST springs installed on my '18 - went back and forth between STs and '17's and went with the STs. I think the stance looks amazing in person and the ride quality is on par with stock. No rubbing or scraping at all. Got them from #[email protected] Highly recommend the springs and the vendor.
Many thanks!:grin2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
My question,

How much static negative camber did you get when you went from the late 17's springs to the ST lowering springs?

Has anyone who has done this had their front alignment checked prior to the spring install and then immediately afterwards?

Most of the time it would require shims at the minimum.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
My question,

How much static negative camber did you get when you went from the late 17's springs to the ST lowering springs?

Has anyone who has done this had their front alignment checked prior to the spring install and then immediately afterwards?

Alfa didn't provide a shim point or any adjustment for camber/castor. I suspect that the amount of change in the camber is minimal and not enough to matter. For track purposes, two degrees would be a good starting point and we will never get that from lowering the car one inch. The actual numbers would still be nice to know.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
My question,

It's in the OP

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I finally installed the ST/KW lowering springs as I needed more camber up front. Ran it for 200 miles thru all sorts of bumpy roads to get the springs to sit properly.

As verified with a few early 2017 Quads, for the 2018 models, Alfa Romeo truly did raise the ride height by about 1inch/25mm. With the front camber being non-adjustable, the only way to return the Quad's handling to the original settings was to lower it!!

The 2017 ride height is given for comparison. Mine is a mid-2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio.

All measurements for my car were done with 3/4 tank of fuel and measured from the ground to the edge of the fender. Tire pressures are F35/R33psi cold (cold being relative as it is 80-95F year round where I live!).

2017 ride height:
Front 26 5/8"
Rear 26 7/8"

2018 ride height (on factory springs):
Front 27 1/2"
Rear 28"
Splitter leading edge 7 1/4"

Lowered height (with ST springs):

Front 26 1/8"
Rear 26 5/8"
Splitter leading edge 6"

With these numbers, I can now verify that the total drop in ride height is a consistent 35mm or 1 3/8" across all 4 wheels. I hope this clears up the confusion on the spring manufacturer's website as people were uncertain whether the figures given for the drop in ride height were in reference to 2017 or 2018 models.

Alignment was then checked with toe adjusted. By the way, the front wheels can only adjust for toe as camber is strictly dependent on ride height. The rear wheels have camber adjustment but they are NOT independent of toe settings. I have to say that straight out of the factory, alignment settings were pretty much spot on. Here are the final numbers with the lowered ST/KW springs:

Front camber -0.88deg (slightly more than factory spec of -0.58deg, and that's for the 2017 models!).
Front caster +6.5deg (spot on).
Front toe 0.

Rear camber -2.16deg (factory spec of -1.5deg).
Rear toe +0.16deg toe in per side.
Total toe +0.33deg toe in.

Am quite happy with the numbers with regards to the slight increase in front camber. Ideally, this car should be running somewhere in the region of -1.5 to -2.0deg of camber up front for performance driving. Am awaiting the day someone makes a set of adjustable lateral arms for the fronts! Till then, maybe I'll consider a set of Bridgestone RE070R2s with their super stiff sidewalls as my next set of tires! :wink2:

Cheers!
Meola, Other than installing the springs, was their any additional work or adjustments to be made?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Misano, after letting the springs settle for 300km, all I did was a camber check and alignment.

Latest update: Having had the new 2019 springs installed just a few days ago as a result of the occasional huge hump taking out my Centerline Stradale exhaust, initial ride height has been raised by 20mm (0.787inch) from the ST Springs. This is consistent for both front and rear.

I will report back once the springs have settled and a proper alignment has been completed as the initial alignment done by the Alfa dealer wasn't entirely to factory specs. Also, the floaty feeling with softer 2019 spring rates (as compared to the ST Springs) is quite apparent. The car now dives a lot more during acceleration and braking due to the weight transfer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Misano, after letting the springs settle for 300km, all I did was a camber check and alignment.

Latest update: Having had the new 2019 springs installed just a few days ago as a result of the occasional huge hump taking out my Centerline Stradale exhaust, initial ride height has been raised by 20mm (0.787inch) from the ST Springs. This is consistent for both front and rear.

I will report back once the springs have settled and a proper alignment has been completed as the initial alignment done by the Alfa dealer wasn't entirely to factory specs. Also, the floaty feeling with softer 2019 spring rates (as compared to the ST Springs) is quite apparent. The car now dives a lot more during acceleration and braking due to the weight transfer.
When you installed the ST springs, how much did they lower your car? I'm concerned about scraping my spoiler on the apron of my driveway.

·
Registered
514 Posts
When you installed the ST springs, how much did they lower your car? I'm concerned about scraping my spoiler on the apron of my driveway.
Depends which MY car you have. The ST springs lower the QV abou 3/4 of an inch. This is in reference to the MY17 QV height. If you have a QV with the higher springs from the factory it’ll be about and inch and a half.

·
Vendor
2,463 Posts
>2017 ride height:
Front 26 5/8"
Rear 26 7/8"

2018 ride height
Front 27 1/2"
Rear 28"

ST Spring lower near Identical to the ST springs. Anyone with a 17', not sure it's worth the effort to move to the ST springs for the minimal if any drop.

Lowered height (with ST springs):

Front 26 1/8"
Rear 26 5/8"
This is the ride height regardless of MY. 2017 there is no change really, 2018 brings it down to this spec which again is nearly the same spec as OEM 2017 springs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends which MY car you have. The ST springs lower the QV abou 3/4 of an inch. This is in reference to the MY17 QV height. If you have a QV with the higher springs from the factory it’ll be about and inch and a half.
So i installed the springs, car looks good and rides great but I have a rubbing of my right front tire when cutting hard right into my driveway that seems to be coming from the material toward the back of the wheel well. I thought the spoiler was scraping but it was above the wheel. Left front tire when cut hard left has more space between tire and wheel well. Wondering if material covering wheel well somehow came lose and is now rubbing. Any such issues after your or any one else's install of lowering springs?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had no rubbing issues at all with the ST springs.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just in the process of ordering some ST Springs to try and slightly resolve my current predicament... Mistakenly got 255/35/19 & 295/30/19 Michelin Cup 2 tires thinking they would be fine since people put the same size Michelin 4S on but with the Cup 2's there is quite a lot of tire bulge/overhang on the rim on both front and rear (unsure if this is the same with the 4S?). I have already noticed that on really tight turns, like getting out of a tight parking spot, there is a bit of guard rub near full lock so wondering how much worse I'm going to make this by lowering especially at the track. The severe lack of camber in the front is very apparent with a slightly over sized tire so I'm rather worried about it. Rear looks like it will be fine with the camber that it sits at. Any help would be appreciated

I'll try add some pics when I get a chance to show how bad the overhang is

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
I'm just in the process of ordering some ST Springs to try and slightly resolve my current predicament... Mistakenly got 255/35/19 & 295/30/19 Michelin Cup 2 tires thinking they would be fine since people put the same size Michelin 4S on but with the Cup 2's there is quite a lot of tire bulge/overhang on the rim on both front and rear (unsure if this is the same with the 4S?). I have already noticed that on really tight turns, like getting out of a tight parking spot, there is a bit of guard rub near full lock so wondering how much worse I'm going to make this by lowering especially at the track. The severe lack of camber in the front is very apparent with a slightly over sized tire so I'm rather worried about it. Rear looks like it will be fine with the camber that it sits at. Any help would be appreciated

I'll try add some pics when I get a chance to show how bad the overhang is
You can add negative camber using a shim/spacer between the LCA and the sub-frame. Don't ask me how much you need for X degrees, I have no idea.

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
316 Posts
I made a few spacers for mine, at 12mm thick spacer it put me somewhere in the range of 1.75-1.9 degrees negative camber in the front on stock 17 ride height. I had trouble measuring the camber with any consistency, I think due to the floor of my garage, but all the many reading I took fell in that range. This is starting from roughly 0.4 degrees negative without shims. I still need to adjust the passenger side but on that side I used a 5mm spacer (bad initial measurement gave me the wrong starting point) and ended up at about 1.1 degrees negative

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
I made a few spacers for mine, at 12mm thick spacer it put me somewhere in the range of 1.75-1.9 degrees negative camber in the front on stock 17 ride height. I had trouble measuring the camber with any consistency, I think due to the floor of my garage, but all the many reading I took fell in that range. This is starting from roughly 0.4 degrees negative without shims. I still need to adjust the passenger side but on that side I used a 5mm spacer (bad initial measurement gave me the wrong starting point) and ended up at about 1.1 degrees negative
That is really good to know! I may shoot for some 2017 Q4 sunroof springs on my 2018 Q4 non-sunroof to get it a hair lower and add a little neg camber along with a 10mm shim (and alignment).

What did you use for the spacer?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought a 12" long stick of 3/4" diameter 6061 aluminum and milled out my spacers from that. I wanted to be able to mess with the thicknesses of the spacers to determine what changes of thickness get you but after doing just the first set I realized it was way too big of a pain and way too high of a risk of cross threading the subframe to do it multiple times. Reinstalling the bolts is NOT EASY even without spacers, and spacers make it much worse. After a while I figured out a proper assortment of pry bars and bolt alignment tools to be able to get the bolt in without cross threading. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,241 Posts
I bought a 12" long stick of 3/4" diameter 6061 aluminum and milled out my spacers from that. I wanted to be able to mess with the thicknesses of the spacers to determine what changes of thickness get you but after doing just the first set I realized it was way too big of a pain and way too high of a risk of cross threading the subframe to do it multiple times. Reinstalling the bolts is NOT EASY even without spacers, and spacers make it much worse. After a while I figured out a proper assortment of pry bars and bolt alignment tools to be able to get the bolt in without cross threading. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart
Good to know. I'm not scared though. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so forgive me if I’m asking the same question.... I’ve noticed all the chat is around lowering your 2018 QV to match or come close to factory 2017 QV Specs. Well I have a 2017 QV and was considering a mild sport lowering spring. I’m pretty sure it’s an early model QVI can fit 2 fingers in between the front wheels and the fenders.

So Question.....

Has anyone lowered their 2017 QV? If so which springs? I’d like to achieve a slightly lowered look but I don’t want the car looking like it’s on airbags.

Thanks!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts