Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still early and I do like the rims, but I'm a sucker for new shoes:grin2:
was curious if a square set-up could be done?? I doubt that you could go 19x10 all around, but maybe 19x9.5??
I just like the neutral feel of that set-up...did it on my E39M5 and greatly improved the handling...

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The smaller width wheel/tire combo for the front of high-performance cars "for the street" increases turn in response and initial steering feel.

The square setup (all 4 tires the same dimension) affords the most grip in a "track" format.

One major benefit of the square setup is that the wheels can be rotated.

When I had a CTS-V, I didn't buy into the square setup with the larger front wheels. My bad. Recycling rear tires at a 3 to 1 ratio (rear replacements vs front) was just too much fun!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smaller width wheel/tire combo for the front of high-performance cars "for the street" increases turn in response and initial steering feel.

The square setup (all 4 tires the same dimension) affords the most grip in a "track" format.

One major benefit of the square setup is that the wheels can be rotated.

When I had a CTS-V, I didn't buy into the square setup with the larger front wheels. My bad. Recycling rear tires at a 3 to 1 ratio (rear replacements vs front) was just too much fun!
the E39 runs 18x9.5 not 19's so the turn in is exceptional....19's really are not a good track size anyway....
was more curious about clearances and the possible need for spacers which I'm not too keen on....just thinking out loud:p

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good Morning guys, I am sorry for "reviving" an old thread but I thought this is very relevant to my inquiry.
I just bought a 2017 TI sport RWD. with the "sport" 18" A/S tires 2245/45 R18? - this is my 2nd day with the car and it is a weekday. I have not had a chance to get under the car and take wheels off to look for some of the answers I am looking for. Hopefully I will have time this weekend.

In the meantime if someone knows:

Wheels off, are the hubs in the rear offset from the car than the front?
or is the 3" different in track width at the rear just based on different wheel offsets? (car spec sheet call out for 63.XX" rear 61.XX" Front)

OR

is the body of the car just wider in the rear?
This would mean that we need to find an wheel with an offset that works in the front and run spacers in the rear in order to be able to rotate tires right?

I am trying to understand why there are spacers kit being sold with 17mm spacers at the rear and 5mm front.

When you guys say "square" setup. You mean the same track wheel front to back ? or just wheels with the same width... because they are too different things and it seems like the car is just naturally wider in the rear, which mean you would need to run more offset in the rear to have a "square setup"

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a square set-up is referring to same width rims front to back..not staggered sizes..
not possible for a Giulia QV.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do not mean to sound ignorant. and I don't own a QV so I can't compare. but what is it not possible?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just ordered some 15mm rear and 5mm spacers for the front to hold me over. Hope they fit.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Do not mean to sound ignorant. and I don't own a QV so I can't compare. but what is it not possible?
The rear 10 in wheel will not fit in the front wheel well with full lock. right?. 9.5 Maybe, has someone checked?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
When you guys say "square" setup. You mean the same track wheel front to back ? or just wheels with the same width... because they are too different things and it seems like the car is just naturally wider in the rear, which mean you would need to run more offset in the rear to have a "square setup"
Square setup means same wheels on front and rear. Our base and Ti Giulias with 18' Sport wheel all have a square setup (with 225/45R18 BSW all season tires).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Square setup means same wheels on front and rear. Our base and Ti Giulias with 18' Sport wheel all have a square setup (with 225/45R18 BSW all season tires).
But the rears are offset more than the front regardless (hubs are out more) ?
I am trying to understand why vendors sell 17/5mm spacer kits

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
On a square factory setup offsets are exactly same front and rear (you can freely rotate the wheels), 17/5 combo is there because some people like certain “stance” which usually involves lowering and spacers to achieve....rear needs more to get wheels to that power end look....in front too large spacers start to mess with steering geometry as well

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
That I do not know. Maybe for looks/handling?
I have the same car as yours (RWD with Sport package) and I am looking to get wider rear wheels to get more traction.
According to MacGeek, in Europe the Sport 18' wheel are available in a staggered size and they do sell 9 inch wide wheels that would mount 255/40R18 tires. I don't think this wheels are sold in the US so I might have to order them from Europe. Anyhow, I'd rather get wider rear wheels than spacers.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rim width at rear is 10inches....would require a bit of work, suspension up front is not so camber adjustable friendly, this was pointed out by a forum member who tracks the car frequently.....
and frankly I have come to the realization that the beauty of this car is the chassis/suspension set-up as it is from the factory...
dropping the "stance" with springs or replacing the suspension with coil-overs just seems not necessary for me...so I will just go with new rims in the same size that I have now..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've heard aftermarket manufacturers are slowly releasing 5x110 wheels designed for the giulia so I'd wait a few months to purchase from Europe.

That I do not know. Maybe for looks/handling?
I have the same car as yours (RWD with Sport package) and I am looking to get wider rear wheels to get more traction.
According to MacGeek, in Europe the Sport 18' wheel are available in a staggered size and they do sell 9 inch wide wheels that would mount 255/40R18 tires. I don't think this wheels are sold in the US so I might have to order them from Europe. Anyhow, I'd rather get wider rear wheels than spacers.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I've heard aftermarket manufacturers are slowly releasing 5x110 wheels designed for the giulia so I'd wait a few months to purchase from Europe.
Thanks for the heads up, but I really love the look of the stock 18' Sport wheels, just need the wider version on the rear. I don't really like skinny straight spokes...

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have monoblock Forgelines ordered in the stock width/offset. They spent a lot of time and money to nail down the required measurements so their wheels will work. So much more than offset and width to determine if a wheel will work. For the CCB spec'd QV like mine they have to ensure barrel clearance and face clearance of the brakes per the wheel design and also the concavity of the face. Barrel clearance for the CCB spec'd is not easily achieved unless a monoblock forged design. Spun forged or cast have a much thicker inner barrel which is for most but not CCB's. Again some may work which the vendors will advertise as things develop. Plus going from the OE QV wheels to spun forged or cast is just a step backwards in handling and response feedback as most if not all in those forms are heavier than stock. Anyhow food for thought.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
rim width at rear is 10inches....would require a bit of work, suspension up front is not so camber adjustable friendly, this was pointed out by a forum member who tracks the car frequently.....
and frankly I have come to the realization that the beauty of this car is the chassis/suspension set-up as it is from the factory...
dropping the "stance" with springs or replacing the suspension with coil-overs just seems not necessary for me...so I will just go with new rims in the same size that I have now..
I'm right there with ya. I'm not going to be driving this car at the levels of performance that would require more than the factory engineered balance. They did a terrific job. I got the Eurocompulsion V2 intake which made a nice difference, and I just put on lighter 17x8's with Michelin A/S 3+ tires as my 3-season set. I have Blizzak winter tires on the factory 18's which I'll switch to soon as we start getting snow. The lighter wheels saved about 6 1/2 lbs per wheel which has made a notable improvement. The Michelins ride smoother and quieter than the stock Pirelli run-flats. The car just seems to glide effortlessly now. Acceleration is smoother and easier. I was looking at the possibility of upgrading the exhaust system, but the car as it is right now is such a pleasure to be in and drive, I think I may just skip the exhaust mod. I'm keeping an eye on EC's tune upgrade which they claim should be available any time now, but beyond that I have no desire to upset the poise and balance of this car. In 45 years of owning and driving cars, this is hands-down the best car I have ever owned, been in or driven.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm right there with ya. I'm not going to be driving this car at the levels of performance that would require more than the factory engineered balance. They did a terrific job. I got the Eurocompulsion V2 intake which made a nice difference, and I just put on lighter 17x8's with Michelin A/S 3+ tires as my 3-season set. I have Blizzak winter tires on the factory 18's which I'll switch to soon as we start getting snow. The lighter wheels saved about 6 1/2 lbs per wheel which has made a notable improvement. The Michelins ride smoother and quieter than the stock Pirelli run-flats. The car just seems to glide effortlessly now. Acceleration is smoother and easier. I was looking at the possibility of upgrading the exhaust system, but the car as it is right now is such a pleasure to be in and drive, I think I may just skip the exhaust mod. I'm keeping an eye on EC's tune upgrade which they claim should be available any time now, but beyond that I have no desire to upset the poise and balance of this car. In 45 years of owning and driving cars, this is hands-down the best car I have ever owned, been in or driven.
I unfortunately don't have that option with the QV. Not that I would be driving it in the winter..but I believe that the clearance for the brakes precludes me from getting a set of 18's for winter driving...though I agree with you on 18's....this (alfa and my old M3), were the only cars I've had with 19in rims...I prefer the 18's for many reasons...
Glad you are enjoying your Giulia...they really are a treat to drive...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree. so many so called "Forged" wheels on the market.

I have monoblock Forgelines ordered in the stock width/offset. They spent a lot of time and money to nail down the required measurements so their wheels will work. So much more than offset and width to determine if a wheel will work. For the CCB spec'd QV like mine they have to ensure barrel clearance and face clearance of the brakes per the wheel design and also the concavity of the face. Barrel clearance for the CCB spec'd is not easily achieved unless a monoblock forged design. Spun forged or cast have a much thicker inner barrel which is for most but not CCB's. Again some may work which the vendors will advertise as things develop. Plus going from the OE QV wheels to spun forged or cast is just a step backwards in handling and response feedback as most if not all in those forms are heavier than stock. Anyhow food for thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts