Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first post. Have a Ti sport with the EC phase 1 tune.

Was checking out Squadras site and it seems they recently updated with some more info. Basically after translating the page, they say there isn’t much more power to be gained from the 2.0 motor and that the factory reported 280hp is very underrated. They squeezed out some more power though, they have a dyno chart comparing stock vs tuned too.

Just wanted to pass along this info.

https://www.squadra-tuning.nl/chiptuning/alfa-romeo/giulia/veloce-2-0-t-280-pk/

Translated using google:

“Chiptuning "Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 turbo Veloce 280 hp"

As previously established, the 2.0 Turbo MultiAir engine of the Giulia / Stelvio designed for 280 hp and 400 Nm. The "annoying" fact only wants that the engine actually delivers much more than Alfa Romeo promised, about 60 Nm and 30 hp more !!! This has caused quite a few questions and a stir.

Despite this, the big question remained how much extra could be achieved on top of these figures. After a lot of research and testing, we can not say anything else than that there is not that much to be gained. With some turbo boost in the mid-range area, about 30 Nm is added. By charging the ignition at higher rpm, about 10 hp. Increasing turbo pressure at higher rpm brings nothing extra.

Standard power is higher in practice than on paper
DNA: In "D" mode the tuning, in "N" state standard power

Use RON98 strongly recommended

We also extensively tested and measured the Giulia. And every measurement came to a lot more power compared to the manufacturer's specifications. We are distinctive in this. We have a very accurate and reliable asset bank. Of course, we have not gone overnight to come to the conclusion that the Giulia 2.0T is also standard in its power.
Measuring good power is also a separate discipline.”

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Great article for the fact that it makes me not want to purchase anything from Squardra. Maybe something was lost in the translation but that article doesn't make sense. I guess the boys at Alfa and Eurocompulsion have got it all wrong>:):wink2:

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Squadra is a very well known and respected tuner of Alfa's for what it's worth , and one of the first to be able to test it on rolling road.....;)

About a year ago they managed to put the map of the 280 hp on the 200 hp, basically turning the 200 into a 280.
They have now tweaked the 280

some more details (note figures at engine, not wheels and without additional modifications)

<snip>
Squadra tuning in The Netherlands have now completed the tuning for the giulia 280.
As it already delivers 310 hp and 461 Nm, there was not too much gain to be achieved, however, after tuning it's 320 Hp and 490 Nm.
A number of other things are also tweaked.
A setting : old 200 Hp (= 230 Hp)
N setting : 430 Nm en 280 Hp
D setting : 485 Nm en 320 Hp

RON 98 recommended for max performance, old (310 Hp) available with 95 RON

additional tweaks
- max speed limiter moved from 240 to 270
- start stop: default is now off. For those that want it, button switches to on (so reversed from standard)
- at idle max revs was 3500 (stelvio 4500), now set to 6000 (for people that want to show off their exhaust ;) )
- max power and torque only available with oil temp above 70 degr.
- above measured 65 degr. inlet air temp power/torque is reduced
- standard limit for water temp was 110 degr., now set to 104 degr.
- transmission switch points optimised

They use a dynostar 4WD rolling road for testing/tuning (W4X) :
https://www.dynostar.com/products/
https://www.dynostar.com/automotive/dynostar-w4x/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Why are their stock hp numbers inflated over everyone elses? Something doesn't add up. I can't believe they can't pull more than 310hp from a 2.0 turbo. Were they talking about pulling more from the 200hp version?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Why are their stock hp numbers inflated over everyone elses? ....?
maybe because everyone else had major problems getting the giulia to perform fully on a rolling road ;)

they can convert a 200 hp to a 280 (or 320) version, as the engine is basically the same, the 200 is simply downtuned. In standard form squadra measured 230 hp at the crank for the 200.

demo vid of quad:
http://www.squadra-tuning.nl/content/uploads/Vermogensmeting-Giulia-Q.mp4?_=1

and a diesel
http://www.squadra-tuning.nl/content/uploads/Giulia-vermogenstest-3.mp4?_=1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
maybe because everyone else had major problems getting the giulia to perform fully on a rolling road ;)

they can convert a 200 hp to a 280 (or 320) version, as the engine is basically the same, the 200 is simply downtuned. In standard form squadra measured 230 hp at the crank for the 200.

demo vid of quad:
http://www.squadra-tuning.nl/content/uploads/Vermogensmeting-Giulia-Q.mp4?_=1

and a diesel
http://www.squadra-tuning.nl/content/uploads/Giulia-vermogenstest-3.mp4?_=1
Whatever.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Why are their stock hp numbers inflated over everyone elses? Something doesn't add up. I can't believe they can't pull more than 310hp from a 2.0 turbo. Were they talking about pulling more from the 200hp version?
Are you familiar with the distinction between measuring horsepower at the wheel and measuring at the crank? That's probably what we're looking at here, although I don't know who "everyone else" you're thinking of is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey. At least they do two things with the tune that people on here feel are important, disabled start/stop, and raised the top speed limit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't need extra power myself, but setting the topspeed limit higher, and even more, disabling the start/stop sound interesting ...... :)

Do you know if the tuning is done via handheld tuner or sending ecu in. I wish that someone would make a handheld tuner for the Alfa that could take advantage of the available information on the canbus highway. It would be nice to be able to display some of the things that modern handhelds like Cobb can do(boost,temps,etc). My EC handheld reminds me of my old Hypertech units I had in high school. Pretty primitive technology and unit. My Diablosport tuner in 2003 did more, and was quicker.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Are you familiar with the distinction between measuring horsepower at the wheel and measuring at the crank?
of course. Thats what I originally said, the 310 is calculated at the crank, which is also what Alfa spec

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Do you know if the tuning is done via handheld tuner or sending ecu in. .....
Normally over here it's easy, you just make an appointment, drive over, and the new software is loaded and perhaps tweaked according to your individual wishes (think gas pedal response, idle rpm, shift points, DNA settings etc.)
Squadra has a long history of tuning Alfa's, in the beginning/old days they would send you the reprogrammed chips etc. and you could replace them yourself if you wanted. With the modern ECUs it's different of course.
Don't know if they still can do it on a stand alone ECU, guess you'd have to send him an email or so to find out the possibilities......

I know he did it in the past for people outside The Netherlands....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Are you familiar with the distinction between measuring horsepower at the wheel and measuring at the crank? That's probably what we're looking at here, although I don't know who "everyone else" you're thinking of is.
You got to read the original post instead of dropping a bomb on me. Obviously you are not the "everyone else". The numbers state that the car gets 280 at the wheels. Everywhere else that is the crank number.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Alfa publishes 280 and Eurocompulsion confirmed this, at the crank.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
yep, and squadra confirmed 310 which was something they had not seen before after a long history testing Alfa's. Tested on a very accurate rolling road.

Howeverever, personally I couldn't care less, it's just numbers, as long as it drives well ;)

Often these numbers are only interesting to compare direct results at the wheels before and after tuning on the same rolling road and conditions to see results of tune.....

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
You got to read the original post instead of dropping a bomb on me. Obviously you are not the "everyone else". The numbers state that the car gets 280 at the wheels. Everywhere else that is the crank number.
You seemed confused by the OP's comments, which made me wonder if you were maybe conflating WHP and BHP numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Squadra is a very well known and respected tuner of Alfa's for what it's worth , and one of the first to be able to test it on rolling road...../forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

<snip>
Squadra tuning in The Netherlands have now completed the tuning for the giulia 280.
As it already delivers 310 hp and 461 Nm, there was not too much gain to be achieved, however, after tuning it's 320 Hp and 490 Nm.
A number of other things are also tweaked.
A setting : old 200 Hp (= 230 Hp)
N setting : 430 Nm en 280 Hp
D setting : 485 Nm en 320 Hp

RON 98 recommended for max performance, old (310 Hp) available with 95 RON

additional tweaks
- max speed limiter moved from 240 to 270
- start stop: default is now off. For those that want it, button switches to on (so reversed from standard)
- at idle max revs was 3500 (stelvio 4500), now set to 6000 (for people that want to show off their exhaust /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif )
- max power and torque only available with oil temp above 70 degr.
- above measured 65 degr. inlet air temp power/torque is reduced
- standard limit for water temp was 110 degr., now set to 104 degr.
- transmission switch points optimised

They use a dynostar 4WD rolling road for testing/tuning (W4X) :
https://www.dynostar.com/products/
https://www.dynostar.com/automotive/dynostar-w4x/

Thanks for this additional info, I didn’t see this before. No doubt Squadra is an elite tuner and their findings should be respected. I for one was hoping to see major strides made in the power department with just a tune but I have to tone down my expectations. Hoping the EC Phase 2 is more promising.

Glad to see auto start/stop has been defaulted to off. No mention of anything related to ESC being tweaked (bummer).

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Thanks for this additional info, I didn’t see this before. No doubt Squadra is an elite tuner and their findings should be respected. I for one was hoping to see major strides made in the power department with just a tune but I have to tone down my expectations. ....
Yep, the Squadra tune is software only. In addition to power and torque gains, it's mainly about improving driveability. If you want/need more power, I'm afraid you will have to start old school tuning, ie intake, exhaust, turbo's etc, and then customise ecu tuning to your new setup ......
You have to wonder if that's worth it though as that could get expensive.....

nothing to do with giulia tuning, but interesting vid ;) :

1 - 20 of 46 Posts