Great job.I completed the spring replacement today, going from the 2018 springs to the factory 2017 springs. Good news is that I was able to replace the rear springs without disassembling any of the suspension pieces. Not so good news is that it only lowered the car about 1/4". I'm hoping that after settling it will lower it another 1/4" - then I'll be happy.
Here are a few tips if anyone is trying this on their own.
- I removed a sensor wire and brake line bracket that were in the way
- I used these spring compressors from Amazon. They allowed me to fit both of them onto the spring at about a 120 degree angle to each other. The nut head of the compressor goes at the top.
- Once the spring is compressed, I removed the bottom of the spring first, after separating the rubber pad
- Positioning the compressors onto the new spring is critical. I marked the bottom rubber pad to show me where the rods of the compressor should go.
- Fit the bottom rubber pad onto the base first and then put the spring in top first and then bottom. Get the tabs on the bottom pad in place before releasing tension.
- These take a while and require a lot of manual wrenching.
- No need to replace any bolts with new ones since no bolts were removed! This was fortunate since the bolts I ordered did not match the picture or description in the parts diagram. The diagram is very vague as it just shows pictures of the bolts floating in space and does not show where they go.
- I followed the procedure in the manual removing the 3 upper strut bolts, the lower strut bolt, the stabilizer link nut and upper control arm to knuckle bolt.
- I also disconnected wires and brake line bracket that were in the way.
- Once the strut is out, and the spring is compressed on the bench, the tricky part is removing the upper bolt. There is a wire going through the center of the rod. I used a pass-through 5/8" socket on the outer nut along with a 9mm 1/4 socket that I drilled the center out of for the inner nut. I used small vise grips to hold the 9mm socket. This works until the very end of travel. Then I had to use a box end wrench on the outer nut.
- When installing, I used new bolts and nuts for the suspension pieces as indicated in the manual. The torques are given in the manual as XX ft lb + YY degrees of rotation.
- On the first side I did, I put the rubber shield on upside down which is a bummer since I didn't realize it until after I tightened all the 1-time use bolts. I'll have to order another set and re-do it.
Not a terrible job, but not too fun either. I'll report back in a couple weeks to let you know if the springs settle in at all.
Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk