Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
What have your thoughts been on the brake cooling? With more grip, you will have a larger braking capacity which leads to more heat. I'm sure you have something from looking at you 4c thread but I did not see it here.

Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
What have your thoughts been on the brake cooling? With more grip, you will have a larger braking capacity which leads to more heat. I'm sure you have something from looking at you 4c thread but I did not see it here.

Thanks
Easiest way is to convert rotors to the Girodisc ones. Cooling always helps but really don’t need cooling with those rotors.
Plus because I have smaller diameter wheels/tires there is lots of open air space around the brakes.
It’s not real easy way to get brake cooling in both the Stelvio QV and Giuila QV because of those small auxiliary radiators on each side in front of the wheels.
When I get some good brake pads in I’ll be able to sort it all out

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Well it’ll be a few more weeks until my Giulia QV widebody is finished.
But I was able to test part of it last weekend for one day at Oregon Raceway Park ORP.....the custom huge wheels and tires and they are FAST!
So I put the wheels and tires from my Giulia QV widebody project onto my new 2020 Stelvio QV and went to the racetrack.
I’m sure it’s a combination of things but was able to do stupid fast lap times right away! This was my first time tracking this season and on only my third lap I did a 1:54 CCW laptime at Oregon Raceway Park.
This is only a second slower than the fastest I’ve ever done in my Giuila QV last year.
Stelvio QV has an Ideal Racing tune, is lowered 2.5 inches and has these huge 305 and 325 200 hardness tires and also are 2.4 inches shorter so it gives lower gearing but stock other that that.
But like a gearhead science experiment gone crazy it seems to defy logic. Stelvio QV is 4360 lbs yet it is ridiculous fast! I’m quite sure I can do a 1:48 or faster laptimes once I warm up for the season and get used to the car, add a little camber and have some decent brakes pads on it. And if that 1:48 laptime is met well for a modded production car still street levels it among the fastest ever. The Australian stag in his GT2RS does 1:45s for a comparison. And this photo of this super sweet track only air cooled 911 that weighs only 2200 pounds does 144s.
I actually wore out the OEM brake pads in only 4 laps and then the racing pads I had brought to put on were cut wrong and did not fit so it was a short trip to the track.
But I’ve got to tell you for the 1 medium lap and the 1 medium hot lap I did (laps 2 and 3 in this video) it was worth it!! I was wondering how fast the car would be and it did not disappoint. The lowered SUV car buzzes through the gears and each shift is like a kick in the pants! Sometimes causing me to blurt out the Lords name in vain! Shocking in the word of the day!
Tires and wheels I’m sure are a big part of it.
Thanks to Richie Garg AutoRND for the custom wheels. They’re so nice I ordered a second set. Only took about four weeks from the day I ordered them to have them made and delivered!
BC Forged RZ05 wheels gloss black
Front 10.5X19 with Eagle F1 Supercar 3 305/30/19
Rear 11.5X19 ET with Eagle F1 Supercar 3 325/30/19
That lowered gearing, back snapping shifts and AWD yanks out apexes of is really something to feel!
Giuila QV widebody project should be done in two weeks then I can track that car and it’s got to be faster being 470 pounds lighter. But mad science?! who knows which will actually be faster they might be the same!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
The road goes on forever and the party never ends..Hey!!
Not even corona crap can’t stop the Call me Al widebody project
Good escapism to go look at my widebody project today. Both the front and rear pieces are all now one solid piece. Only thing left to do is put in the knockout flairs.
Really doesn’t weigh that much I would guess 3 or 4 pounds each fender. I could wait till we make some fiberglass ones and use those but I kind of like using these strongest ones.
Was also able to move the front inner fender liner forward over an inch to make clearance for the tire when turning.
Things are coming together!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Finished a knockout for that extra flair on the flares LOL.
Each one of the fenders will have a knockout on the front and back of it.
Freaking Italian Gothic Batman Mad Max looking badass machine coming to your racetrack AND Cars and Coffee events soon!
Kind of freaked when I saw it. But it will be a little more subtle when it’s painted black.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Finished a knockout for that extra flair on the flares LOL.
Each one of the fenders will have a knockout on the front and back of it.
Freaking Italian Gothic Batman Mad Max looking badass machine coming to your racetrack AND Cars and Coffee events soon!
Kind of freaked when I saw it. But it will be a little more subtle when it’s painted black. View attachment 96627 View attachment 96628 View attachment 96629
looking good Cugino. Can’t wait to see that thing rip in track.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
A few more flair touches I think we’ve got it pretty much figured out how to make it both aesthetic and functional.
For the knockouts behind the wheels we’re going to leave the vertical edge open to make them into wheel-well vents. And we will open up a screened air passageway in the fender well area. Photos show them just cut not finished.
And we’re going to add some vents on the back top of the fenders to also help relieve the turbulent air. Made up a tool to punch the vent holes in the fenders here’s a scrap piece of metal we punched some holes into to show what it will look like. I just drew with a black felt pen on the fenders to show approximately where and what they will look like
Now are ready to make the other side which will be mirror metal pieces and so much easier and faster. 
Last photo shows the area we’re going to cut away the fenders it’s the whole green taped area underneath the flares.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is so badass. Ever thought about making a few dozen more sets to sell? :)

Can't wait to see the finished product, in form and function!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
This is so badass. Ever thought about making a few dozen more sets to sell? :)

Can't wait to see the finished product, in form and function!
Yes we’re going to take some molds off the metal originals so will be able to sell the kits in fiberglass. Should be done in about two or three weeks and have pricing shortly after. Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
Not many will be willing to do this to undamaged cars. Takes some committment.
But guys who pick up one cheap with some prior damage....
? I’m only cutting away and putting some holes in the 4 fenders i’m not totally changing everything about the car. But it’s not like throwing on some Koshi carbon fiber cover up part and really should be considered a permanent change.
And I’m taking the car up a whole another level or two in both looks and performance because this is functional too.
I don’t see any correlation at all between a brand new or a wrecked one doing this! People buy brand new sports cars that cost three times this money and do similar things right from the beginning all the time but certainly not most people. And certainly not people on the cheap or messing around with wrecked cars this is high-quality work!
Certainly changes the looks and costs some money just like some options on sports cars or widebody kits made for them so you have to know what you’re doing and it’s a commitment to keep it that way.
So not for anybody who thinks this is like some exhaust mod on a leased car you take off when you turn the car back in! Lol.
I’m sure some people will buy these kits from us just for the looks and won’t ever use the performance aspects of it. And that’s OK as I believe people should be able to enjoy their car however they want. But it just seems like a shame because this mod unleashes so much more handling potential.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
? I’m only cutting away and putting some holes in the 4 fenders i’m not totally changing everything about the car. But it’s not like throwing on some Koshi carbon fiber cover up part and really should be considered a permanent change.
And I’m taking the car up a whole another level or two in both looks and performance because this is functional too.
I don’t see any correlation at all between a brand new or a wrecked one doing this! People buy brand new sports cars that cost three times this money and do similar things right from the beginning all the time but certainly not most people. And certainly not people on the cheap or messing around with wrecked cars this is high-quality work!
Certainly changes the looks and costs some money just like some options on sports cars or widebody kits made for them so you have to know what you’re doing and it’s a commitment to keep it that way.
So not for anybody who thinks this is like some exhaust mod on a leased car you take off when you turn the car back in! Lol.
I’m sure some people will buy these kits from us just for the looks and won’t ever use the performance aspects of it. And that’s OK as I believe people should be able to enjoy their car however they want. But it just seems like a shame because this mod unleashes so much more handling potential.
I may be speaking for myself but most people are not going to spend what you spend Al. I’m no accountant but I would guess you have actually spent more in track times, trailers, fuel, wheels, tires, rotors & mods than what the retail value of the car was! You def up over 85-90k since you bought the car. The trailer was prolly 30k!!! God bless you. We all get to watch you spend all that money for us to enjoy! I support you 100%. If I lived in area that made sense and had time to visit all these tracks I would be right there wit you.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I may be speaking for myself but most people are not going to spend what you spend Al. I’m no accountant but I would guess you have actually spent more in track times, trailers, fuel, wheels, tires, rotors & mods than what the retail value of the car was! You def up over 85-90k since you bought the car. The trailer was prolly 30k!!! God bless you. We all get to watch you spend all that money for us to enjoy! I support you 100%. If I lived in area that made sense and had time to visit all these tracks I would be right there wit you.
There’s not even an argument that most people wouldn’t do what I do for fun even if they could afford it.
#1 it can be dangerous, and to get to the level where you recognize all the dangers and actually get quite safe at the racetracks it it takes some time and a learning curve no matter how good your teacher is i’ve had some of the best I feel.
#2 Tracking a fast car it’s almost racing money expensive.
#3 never count how much it costs... Too depressing!

Alfa’s are expensive, especially the QVs. But the truth is there actually a good bargain compared to a competitive car like a Porsche, BMW, Audi and so on for what you get. And what you value determines what car you get or what model you get. I think they’re a bargain because there are drop dead gorgeous they’re so fun to drive and there are an exotic Italian car.
All three of my top of the line Alfas with all their mods cost less than one Ferrari!
Alfa consumables are dirt cheap compared to the Ferrari or a Lambo or a top end Porsche.
So I don’t feel like a fancy boy at all I’m actually a budget boy. And I’ve worked my ass off I’m 62 so I deserve to have some fun at something I’m actually quite good at, designing mods and racing and tracking cars race tracks all over the Western United States and Canada.
And I wish my car hauler gooseneck trailer with living quarters cost only 30K!!!
But I do park it in Walmart parking lots, rest stops, truckstops and all kinds of places for free!! Lol
Even though I mof my cars and track them I never think I’m better than anyone else and to each his own with their car and people can only wax their cars and I wouldn’t say one thing about them other than to ask them for tips because I suck at waxing my car. Lol.
And of course only a minuscule number people would consider taking a newer car and putting a widebody kit on it! Again it’s what I enjoy doing and it’s making my car faster.... lots faster!
So I’m not a Miata racer and I’m not a Ferrari challenge cup racer either... I am somewhere in between. But I’ve see better drivers in Miatas than Ferraris usually!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Cut the fenders and took it outside for the first time. it’s not as crazy as I thought it would look. Actually looks pretty smooth!
And when it’s painted black but probably blend in even more.
Success with clearance! But we do have to do a little work in the front inner fender well front. These are big tires at 305 and 325!
I did a couple rough photo shops showing the fenders colored.
It’s going to blend in a lot but it’s also going to look very wide when you look at it closely.
Remember I’m doing this to make my car faster at the racetrack....a lot faster. So it’s a compromise between that looks. Honestly it’s really looking pretty good. It’s not a crazy Liberty Walk, 4 new fenders and bumpers fast and furious widebody look for 10x the price. Also this is becoming very functional adding a lot of downforce and tire wheel well venting.
We only have one side done and it’s not completely done so I can’t give you a photo of the front or back.
Please wait till it’s done before your full judgement. I’m only sharing the progress because I know some of you enjoy seeing the progress as I do. Modding cars is kind of exciting and fun for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Let's say someone wanted to do this as well without the same humongous tires, how much spacing would be required? How much further out is the outside edge of the wheel from stock?

Edit: went back and read from the beginning, looks like it's about 24 mm, is that right?

141 - 160 of 259 Posts