Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I don't care for the touchscreen, in fact I prefer the dial, but the software itself I would like

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I don't care for the touchscreen, in fact I prefer the dial, but the software itself I would like
I don’t like using the touchscreen either because you have to clean it. And actually you can do everything with the dials. It’s rare I use the touchscreen other than to go instantly to a radio station at the bottom because it lists all of them and it’s a little quicker.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Some more progress. Almost the entire side is now made in metal. Then we’re going to put some flair knockouts in them. You can see the drawings I put on them they would do something about that size. there will be four knockouts on each side. They will only knock out about a quarter of an inch. Should be a nice touch.
Also found that those inexpensive flexible plastic fender liners I put on my Stelvio QV also will work good to put inside my fenders against the fender liners in the rear to cover some damage and make them more durable. Tracking can be a little rough on them.
Oh and I have the custom wheels and tires on my Stelvio QV now and it’s dried up and warmed up a bit here so I took took a couple freeway on ramps fast. Oh yeah these huge Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires stick!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know someone already said it - but when you are done that car will be one sick beast. Amazing. Can't wait to see it finished.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I’m more impressed with that stelvio. Sub 3s in an suv is serious
Could be tire sorcery!
I’m pretty impressed with these Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires. But they are wide as the Grand Canyon!
And I’m not so sure it’s a good idea to launch the Stelvio QV when it has an ECU tune and wide sticky tires.
When it’s dry if I launch really hard or even manually shift into second gear it’s such a bang that if it’s too hard the car goes into safety CEL mode to protect the transmission.
I think anybody that is into dragstrip or a lot of 0-60 times would have to be concerned of this. Fortunately I am a road course tracker so my lowest gear would be third in this so I think I can drive it and shift balls out without throwing that protection CEL.
I’ll find out this weekend I’m going to Oregon Raceway Park (ORP) it’s going to be killa!!!
Any guesses on the Stelvio QV laptimes?
My fastest in the Giuila QV was 1:53
And in the 4C 1:49
Before you get all jacked up on the AWD and the 0-60 fast times affecting your brain, remember the Stelvio is 470 lbs heavier than that Guilia QV and 1,800 lbs heavier than the 4C.
But then again never had Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires on and certainly never 305s in front and 325s in rear. And that AWD and lower gearing?!?!
Oh my...maybe I should take bets on this Stelvio QV laptime?!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The differential will absolutely go with hard launches. Been there done that. I would expect the giulia with the wide tires to annihilate your old time.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
it's a "low speed" track as the 4c (modded) is faster than the gq. depending on how it's configured for those times, looks like not much time over 100. temperatures then... and this weekend?
ok, no guess on times THIS weekend, but if you are running the giulia and stelvio, with same tires, I'll go with the stelvio - and the cooler/worse the weather ...
if I remember right, this is the track you had a lot of fun finishing off some tires, with a lot of smoke out of every corner!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
it's a "low speed" track as the 4c (modded) is faster than the gq. depending on how it's configured for those times, looks like not much time over 100. temperatures then... and this weekend?
ok, no guess on times THIS weekend, but if you are running the giulia and stelvio, with same tires, I'll go with the stelvio - and the cooler/worse the weather ...
if I remember right, this is the track you had a lot of fun finishing off some tires, with a lot of smoke out of every corner!
It’s dry and sunny but a little cold so that just means extra boost:)
ORP is an amazing track because it has over 400 feet of elevation each lap and also because it runs in both directions so it’s like to race tracks and you don’t have to rotate your tires either because they reverse it every day. I think fastest cars go about 135mph going counterclockwise down Valkyrie Hill at the fastest.
My fastest time in Giuila QV at 1:53 was with an open differential as I had a bad actuator so I actually know that that’s fixed adjust to time should be close to 1:51 I would think.
And then with my widebody mod with big tires and some extra power I’m thinking 1:47 maybe lower. Fastest driver is the Australian Stig in his GT2RS doing 1:45s won’t he be surprised if I’m nipping at his heels in a sedan costing about 1/3 of his sportscar even with my mod prices included.lol!
I 4C was pretty much maxed in the suspension so the bottleneck was the about 280-300hp. If it had more power it certainly would’ve gone faster.
Giuila QV bottleneck was the relatively narrow tires and small amount of negative camber. I think I’ve got that covered now when my widebody mod is complete
Stelvio QV with my mods really has no bottleneck other than it’s weight. But it’s still about 200 pounds lighter than competitor high-performance SUVs.
But I am going to add more camber we’ll see how it goes this weekend maybe I don’t even need more camber and my current -1.5 all around is enough?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yeah, it's going to eat brakes, and tires even if they arent spinning.
But my nickel is on the advantage of massive acceleration where the giulia you might be less heavy on the gas.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
Advice for trailer buyers.....think of the biggest vehicle you’ll ever want to tow and size accordingly. Picked trailer too small.
The 4C made me think I’d always have small vehicles. When I got the Giuila QV it was a miracle it fit with like an inch and a half to spare and the front of car had to have a neoprene pad on it and touch the garage wall. I also put a pad on the back but it wasn’t touching as there was a little tiny bit of clearance. First time I took Giuila QV in it I sweated it but not a mark.
Then I bought the Stelvio QV and to my horror of the specs showed it 2.5 inches longer than Giuila QV!
But I rolled the Stelvio into the trailer and sure enough when I went to shut the tailgate and it was not going to shut without putting some pressure on it. And that was with me really parking car with front ramming the front wall of the garage.
But I could squeeze the tailgate closed and that got me thinking if I could get an extra 1.5 inches it would fit. And I did it....the hard way by cutting a big 4 foot x 4 foot in the tailgate and lowering that section.
I’m pretty damn proud of this mod! Was able to reuse the tailgate parts and after a hell of a lot of welding to make it just as strong as it was with no tripping spots my Stelvio fits in there like a glove!!
And the super wide tires just barely fit in there with their width! Crazy shit but it works!!
Off to ORP tomorrow!!

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
It’s a big car hauler trailer with living quarters. 34 feet plus the gooseneck.
And actually sometimes having a trailer that is 1 foot shorter comes in handy at times

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Advice for trailer buyers.....think of the biggest vehicle you’ll ever want to tow and size accordingly. Picked trailer too small.
The 4C made me think I’d always have small vehicles. When I got the Giuila QV it was a miracle it fit with like an inch and a half to spare and the front of car had to have a neoprene pad on it and touch the garage wall. I also put a pad on the back but it wasn’t touching as there was a little tiny bit of clearance. First time I took Giuila QV in it I sweated it but not a mark.
Then I bought the Stelvio QV and to my horror of the specs showed it 2.5 inches longer than Giuila QV!
But I rolled the Stelvio into the trailer and sure enough when I went to shut the tailgate and it was not going to shut without putting some pressure on it. And that was with me really parking car with front ramming the front wall of the garage.
But I could squeeze the tailgate closed and that got me thinking if I could get an extra 1.5 inches it would fit. And I did it....the hard way by cutting a big 4 foot x 4 foot in the tailgate and lowering that section.
I’m pretty damn proud of this mod! Was able to reuse the tailgate parts and after a hell of a lot of welding to make it just as strong as it was with no tripping spots my Stelvio fits in there like a glove!!
And the super wide tires just barely fit in there with their width! Crazy shit but it works!!
Off to ORP tomorrow!! View attachment 96412
Isn't that the beauty of the stelvio and the giulia though, that you can drive it both TO the track and ON it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I had an
Isn't that the beauty of the stelvio and the giulia though, that you can drive it both TO the track and ON it?
Yes very Beautiful and useful vehicles.
I had an amazing trip from Washington state to South Dakota hauling the Giuila QV in the trailer. I would pull into a fantastic area unload the Giulia and then drive it all over the Badlands, The iron Mountain Road, Needles highway Custer State Park, Sturgis, Deadwood, Devils Tower and then cruising around town high styling and so much more! Fantastic area to drive around. It was like the perfect car and it didn’t even get dirty because it was in the trailer getting hauled.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I had an

Yes very Beautiful and useful vehicles.
I had an amazing trip from Washington state to South Dakota hauling the Giuila QV in the trailer. I would pull into a fantastic area unload the Giulia and then drive it all over the Badlands, The iron Mountain Road, Needles highway Custer State Park, Sturgis, Deadwood, Devils Tower and then cruising around town high styling and so much more! Fantastic area to drive around. It was like the perfect car and it didn’t even get dirty because it was in the trailer getting hauled. View attachment 96418
you got the life AL. You live it like it’s meant to be lived. God bless. Would love to drive those roads. Can’t imagine the clean air, no traffic, open roads.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts