Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
341 - 360 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Article is great you can tell they are passionate about Alfa. But they fail to mention it’s a modified QV that can overtake the Porsche in real Life. They made it sound like the Porsche driver was bad and this was just a fluke around a small track. Send em pics AL. Let em see the monster.
Yes with hindsight I wish I would’ve edited the video putting a picture of my car in the front of it. It was my first time out for the season and I had such a great time I wasn’t thinking very well as for posting the video. The Italians are all over about talking how great the GTA and GTAm Giuilas are and which they are but I don’t have the heart to tell them that my creation is much faster.
The the green and the black RS car drivers are very good! The green one is slightly faster than the black one even though the black one is modded. But I was definitely faster which is amazing.
I really want to race against a Camaro ZL1LE now because we have the exact same brand and size of tires. And those cars are really fast! I think it would be a great match up.
I have a couple ORP member friends One with a Z06 Vette and the other with a Viper and they both have racing slicks on and car down to 1:48 laptimes maybe an occasional 1:47. So they are faster than my 1:50.2 time but I’m toying with the idea of putting on racing slicks because I then I know I would be the same speed which would be really amazing for a sedan because these guys are really good drivers and their cars are modded two doors sportscars.
The way it is right now they are scared of me getting faster😂

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Italians are all over about talking how great the GTA and GTAm Giuilas are and which they are but I don’t have the heart to tell them that my creation is much faster.
The picture of the 305 front tires and brake dust everywhere basically tells the whole story.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Yes with hindsight I wish I would’ve edited the video putting a picture of my car in the front of it. It was my first time out for the season and I had such a great time I wasn’t thinking very well as for posting the video. The Italians are all over about talking how great the GTA and GTAm Giuilas are and which they are but I don’t have the heart to tell them that my creation is much faster.
The the green and the black RS car drivers are very good! The green one is slightly faster than the black one even though the black one is modded. But I was definitely faster which is amazing.
I really want to race against a Camaro ZL1LE now because we have the exact same brand and size of tires. And those cars are really fast! I think it would be a great match up.
I have a couple ORP member friends One with a Z06 Vette and the other with a Viper and they both have racing slicks on and car down to 1:48 laptimes maybe an occasional 1:47. So they are faster than my 1:50.2 time but I’m toying with the idea of putting on racing slicks because I then I know I would be the same speed which would be really amazing for a sedan because these guys are really good drivers and their cars are modded two doors sportscars.
The way it is right now they are scared of me getting faster😂
I think you are faster than a camaro zl1 honestly. I’ve rolled raced two and pulled them both times. Now they do have a fantastic chassis so maybe on a road coarse track it’s a different animal so maybe it comes down to drivers. They lit up the Nring so it’s def a capable car. As far as power you should have the advantage with a modded QV. But it’s always hard to compare modded cars.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
So my new friend in the black GT3RS just sent me this video from the end of the day session on Sunday.
It’s great to see how my car handles and is so smooth even though this is the end of the day and the tires are shot. Did I mention that I went through a new set of Goodyear Supercar 3R 100 hardness tires in just that one day on Sunday with the six sessions!!! That is a first for me but I must tell you each one of those sessions was intense. Each session those RS cars came at me and each one I was faster except for this last one here when my tires gave up and I let him by at the end.
It’s a great video to watch for a few other reasons because my tires were gone I was doing some drifting on purpose.
Check out time frame 9:11 when I passed my friend in the multiple winning champion of Lucky Dog racing and his amazing Frankenstein creation which is a 924 with a 911 suspension and an Audi five cylinder motor in it! The guy is a technician fabricator extraordinaire. Because I recognized his car and wanted to say hello with a smokescreen I had some fun!
And then the rest of the video I was smoking up my tires in front of the Black GT3RS car. It’s amazing how the tire so worn out at the end.
Going through a whole set a tires in one day was very expensive but I’ve got to say it was worth it this one time and most everyone else there that was competitive pretty much used up their tires too they said.
Enjoy this video watching the Giuila QV widebody car from behind and the smoke screen shows.
After this final session we all got together and laughed and asked about it. All the drivers in my session group were really good drivers and such great people!

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is impressive stuff there @Call me Al. I am just wondering what your views are on the ability to get the traction down. Are you finding issues with the transaxle that EVO mag commented on in their GTAm review? Are the big rears you are running solving that or have you found further tricks?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
That is impressive stuff there @Call me Al. I am just wondering what your views are on the ability to get the traction down. Are you finding issues with the transaxle that EVO mag commented on in their GTAm review? Are the big rears you are running solving that or have you found further tricks?
Thanks 😊
No I’m really not having any problem putting all the power down. Only when my tires are really heat cycled or bald or the cords are starting to show does it get slippery. Just like the video shows from the GT3RS camera. See how in that video coming out of most of the turns both tires are smoking towards the end of the session. After that big drifting burn out my tires were like grease!
Both days I was there I had no problem like that just at the very end of the second day on bad tires.
I don’t think my differential even overheated once the whole time. I believe that is because I’m becoming a better driver and not spinning the tires at all and also because I have the 325 width tires. In the past I would spend the tires more and then it would overheat but doesn’t last long you can just let it cool and it’s good for the next session. It was pretty warm 75°. As you can see I drove like hell but my car only came on overheating message once and that was at the very end of a session. I think that’s really awesome and shows how good the hardware is as many other cars were overheating that day.
I’m also quite sure the three air scoops I added to the rear under Trey helped direct a lot more air onto the differential to cool it. Also because I removed the rear or my rear felt fender flares and replaced them with screens there’s a whole lot of air movement out the back and I’m sure that sucks away from the differential. I’m very proud with the downforce an extra cooling I got with my widebody design. When I was watching the GTA video and the Italian engineers were talking about how they made the underpan vents bigger like I did I was laughing my ass off.
Also compared to the GTA my tires are a huge width difference. I believe the GTA is only 255/305. And some people tell me the rears are only 285 width.
My set up is 305/325 and I have a lot more track also. The GTA has some cool features and lightening features I wish I could afford. But it’s disappointing that the HP is not a lot more in the torque is the same. My car has a lot more power and torque it seems.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 · (Edited)
From about a month ago at HOD at ORP when I blew up all the GT3RS cars.
I kind of forgot that I named this post GT3RS killer. At the time I hopeful but wasn’t 100% sure. Did I had second thoughts? Maybe a little…..but not anymore😃
The track photographer had some delay problems so I just got them. Kind of forgot all the fun that weekend was.
Hey I like apexes any which way but loose and squirming around a bit…what can I say😃😂

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
I want to grow up to be like Al.
Thanks, but the key is to never grow up!
In my mind’s eye I’m still a 10 year old racing go-Karts!
This day was really special as it proved that my modded car really could keep up with Porsche’s oh-so-heralded track car. And I did it in full race mode no nannies. I’m not sure but I think most all of these GT3RS drivers leave on some type of traction control. Another compliment to Alfa’s fantastically designed and balanced car.
It was also a special day for my driving. I set a racetrack laptime record and I also went through a complete set of tires in one freaking day. Yeah that Sunday was a hard day as in all six sessions all those Porsches came at me really hard trying to dethrone me. I had to push it hard each 20 minute long session to stay a second or two ahead of them. And it was a hot weekend also. Car ran great when many others were overheating and having other problems. But not the Giuila!

Just to emphasize just how fast the Giuila QV moderately modded as I have done is at the racetrack i’m going to post another video and laptime.
So just last weekend I went back to ORP for a PCA tracking weekend. But this time with my new track weapon, my Radical Rapture. This is a interesting vehicle it’s actually street legal for Europe and apparently you can make it legal in some states here as a kit car. It weighs 1700 pounds, 350HP 320TQ via a Ford four-cylinder 2 L eco-boost motor mated to a Quaife sequential transmission. The car itself has all the racing suspension stuff like the other Radicals just has this special motor which I really like because I don’t have the maintenance that most all the other motors have.
Anyway I put racing slicks on this track weapon and I set another track record out there at ORP with a 1:45.0 CCW. That is really fast! But just look it is only 5 seconds faster than my daily driver sedan on street tires. And if I was to put racing slicks on my Giuila QV that would takeoff at least two or three seconds!
So as you can see the moderately modded but still stock engine Giuila QV widebody I made really is screaming fast! Very few production cars stock or modded can hang with it. I’ll take the credit for my mods but the car itself is spectacular and reliable! And it’s so easy to drive! I literally could do very close to these fastest laptimes with one hand on the wheel.
Can’t do that with the Radical! No power steering and a tight rack! It’s a beastie to drive!
Yeah me showing up at these tracking events with all the expensive Porsches is brutal to them. This last week and there was even several GT4 Clubsports on racing slicks. Sorry move over boys I was like five seconds faster 😂 and even those track only Porsche cars on slicks were doing maybe 1:50s so my Giuila QV widebody was just as fast😂😂
Here’s a clockwise session with lots of fast Porsches moving over right away!
And then another going CCW setting the record

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
Today put on the next level of tire fuckdom😂😃🔥
So I have a couple friends that are good drivers one has a Vette Z06 and the other has a Viper. Both are highly modded and they run slicks for tires.
When I am at Oregon Raceway Park in my Giuila QV widebody on my 100 hardness street tires, they are only about two seconds faster than me with their slick tires and their fancy two door sports cars🧐
So I decided I’ll level the playing field as far as tires go.
Should be epic driving 9/10 slipping and sliding around on racing slicks in my daily driver family sedan against these so-called track monsters😂 Can’t wait to hear their excuses😂😂😂

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
Today put on the next level of tire fuckdom😂😃🔥
So I have a couple friends that are good drivers one has a Vette Z06 and the other has a Viper. Both are highly modded and they run slicks for tires.
When I am at Oregon Raceway Park in my Giuila QV widebody on my 100 hardness street tires, they are only about two seconds faster than me with their slick tires and their fancy two door sports cars🧐
So I decided I’ll level the playing field as far as tires go.
Should be epic driving 9/10 slipping and sliding around on racing slicks in my daily driver family sedan against these so-called track monsters😂 Can’t wait to hear their excuses😂😂😂
View attachment 113449 View attachment 113450 View attachment 113451 View attachment 113452 View attachment 113453
I see an Alfa on the lift. Is that a shop that specializes?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 · (Edited)
Another track days and this post’s title proves true again 😃 Well maybe not a “killer” for all GT3RS drivers but it seems 95% of them.
Did 1:47 laptimes at The Ridge Motorsports Park on a dry day on Pirelli slicks.
Wore them out in 2 days and had to put my 200 hardness worn street tires on. Lap times rased to 1:51s which is still fast! This proves slicks are about 3-4 seconds faster which is what I thought.
Had a great long challenge driving in the rain from a silver GT3RS driver I was chasing. We were almost exact same speed but he was on 80 hardness Dunlop Sport Max Race 2 tires and me on old worn 200 hardness street tires so I probably was faster. It was fun testing the car in the rain.
Other video is on slicks terrorassing many.
Got a lot of compliments from the good solid drivers that can be honest and quite a few cold looks from a bunch of the pissed off ones that thought they were all that and were mad that an Alfa sedan was faster. Most all the pissed off ones were 911 drivers in various models.
And it’s funny because most all of them or maybe even all of them had nannies on😂
Giuila QV is the faster car for less than half the money even with my moderate mods price included 🤗

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
Oh it’s getting kind of boring matching or beating up all these Porsche expensive two door sportscars and now even racecars like these GT4 Clubsport racers.
Here’s a couple videos from the Audi Club weekend (that’s why they use the turn signals as they do only the Audi Club does that) one with a Clubsport I can beat and the other with the best driver and the best Clubsport who is slightly faster. These drivers are very good and it was extremely fun sessions😃
But then I stuck around for a different event on Monday with some local group and lo and behold there was a couple awesome drivers also with fun inexpensive sportscars. One was a MR2 with a V6 engine swap and the other was a Nissan 240 SX with the Japanese engine swap. And they had lots of mods and aero. We were about the same speed and all three of us just had the best session terrorassing😀 The driver of the Nissan said that’s the most fun he has had in four years! It was so much fun but I was down to street tires again so but that made it more of a matchup to the cars. Fun stuff! Season is almost over.
Alfa has proven itself very reliable! Even when pushed so hard at the track!
Audi Club GT4 Clubsports:
Fastest GT4 Clubsport:

And the funnest one the 3 amigos terrorizing the track:

speed is not pretty😂
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Tire Hood Automotive tire Grille Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Artifact

·
Registered
872 Posts
Oh it’s getting kind of boring matching or beating up all these Porsche expensive two door sportscars and now even racecars like these GT4 Clubsport racers.
Here’s a couple videos from the Audi Club weekend (that’s why they use the turn signals as they do only the Audi Club does that) one with a Clubsport I can beat and the other with the best driver and the best Clubsport who is slightly faster. These drivers are very good and it was extremely fun sessions😃
But then I stuck around for a different event on Monday with some local group and lo and behold there was a couple awesome drivers also with fun inexpensive sportscars. One was a MR2 with a V6 engine swap and the other was a Nissan 240 SX with the Japanese engine swap. And they had lots of mods and aero. We were about the same speed and all three of us just had the best session terrorassing😀 The driver of the Nissan said that’s the most fun he has had in four years! It was so much fun but I was down to street tires again so but that made it more of a matchup to the cars. Fun stuff! Season is almost over.
Alfa has proven itself very reliable! Even when pushed so hard at the track!
Audi Club GT4 Clubsports:
Fastest GT4 Clubsport:

And the funnest one the 3 amigos terrorizing the track:

speed is not pretty😂
View attachment 116441 View attachment 116442 View attachment 116443
Nice driving! I had my QV at road america this week, man that thing is a beast. Got under 3 minutes running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

That being said, your yellow calipers are no more. Looks like they need a rebuild and powder coat in black this time :) Rotor rings maybe in order as well.

I do want to ask, what is your maintenance schedule on your QV since you run it hard on the track.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
Nice driving! I had my QV at road america this week, man that thing is a beast. Got under 3 minutes running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.

That being said, your yellow calipers are no more. Looks like they need a rebuild and powder coat in black this time :) Rotor rings maybe in order as well.

I do want to ask, what is your maintenance schedule on your QV since you run it hard on the track.
Nice driving that’s a good lap time for Road America.
These cars really are fun on the track aren’t they?! So well-balanced!

actually my yellow calipers will clean up good they were ceramic coated. they’ll never be as shiny as the cars and coffee carpet good enough for me as they look good.

Rotors are still good but yes in future (probably five or six more track days) will replace only the rings. but my hats I will reuse. Wow they are the most interesting color now beyond purple!

maintenance schedule is my racing brake fluid will be flushed about every six track days.
Same goes for the engine oil.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Nice driving that’s a good lap time for Road America.
These cars really are fun on the track aren’t they?! So well-balanced!

actually my yellow calipers will clean up good they were ceramic coated. they’ll never be as shiny as the cars and coffee carpet good enough for me as they look good.

Rotors are still good but yes in future (probably five or six more track days) will replace only the rings. but my hats I will reuse. Wow they are the most interesting color now beyond purple!

maintenance schedule is my racing brake fluid will be flushed about every six track days.
Same goes for the engine oil.
Yes, these Alfa's are great out of the box and the Giorgio platform is a cherry; for the price it can't be beat IMHO. It definitely could use stiffer springs and be a little lower (I have a 18' QV and haven't touched the ride height as it's a daily and being taller has its advantages).

What about rear differential and clutch pack fluid? I'm planning on doing mine this weekend as I have 21k on the clock now.

I'm surprised that those micro cracks in the rings are not concerning. I'm thinking about on going to the Girodisc set-up once my factory rotors are done but it will be a while. I'm quite satisfied too with the iron set up, it performs quite well but it's still not a Porsche GT3 good.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
Yes, these Alfa's are great out of the box and the Giorgio platform is a cherry; for the price it can't be beat IMHO. It definitely could use stiffer springs and be a little lower (I have a 18' QV and haven't touched the ride height as it's a daily and being taller has its advantages).

What about rear differential and clutch pack fluid? I'm planning on doing mine this weekend as I have 21k on the clock now.

I'm surprised that those micro cracks in the rings are not concerning. I'm thinking about on going to the Girodisc set-up once my factory rotors are done but it will be a while. I'm quite satisfied too with the iron set up, it performs quite well but it's still not a Porsche GT3 good.
Absolutely understand having the ride height for a daily. My car is a daily too and I have 4 inches of ground clearance and I love it! No more smashing the front of my car and driveway ramps and stuff like when I had it lowered. That’s why I really like my KW DDCPNP coilovers you can lower the car a bit and still have a great daily drive ride in natural mode and an amazing track ride in Dynamic or Race mode. They are expensive but they improve the ride in all modes really amazing!
Stock springs are OK but the car has so much power at porpoises on acceleration and then comes slamming down when you brake really hard. This is tough on the brakes and tires. You can manage it by trying to drive smoothly and no hard acceleration or hard brakes it just slows down your lap times though.

Yes you should change the differential fluid about once every 15-20 track days depending on how hard you track.

those micro cracks you see are totally normal. You need to inspect your brakes though all the time and make sure that none of the cracks go to the edge of the rotor or if they’re big and wide enough to hang fingernail on. I’ve gone through about four sets of rings now and only one says it got to the edge but the rings were pretty much worn out by then anyway. Girodisc brakes are so good, GT3 level good! But unless you track a lot the OEM iron rotors are fine just put better pads on of course and better brake fluid. Also changing the brake hoses to stainless steel hoses is a good thing to do if track a lot. Be sure and change the brake fluid often especially if you get the brakes really hot.

341 - 360 of 364 Posts