Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
321 - 340 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Well I did it😃 beat my fastest laptime at ORP Oregon Raceway Park by .9 second doing a 1:50.4 CW lap. Also did a 1:50.7 lap then it got dark out! Data shows G force all the way up to 1.54G.
These are really fast lap times for a production car on the street tires. And it’s my daily driver😃
My Widebody mod works! Solid proof my widebody car is over 4 seconds faster with it at this track. That’s a huge gain.
Also part of it is the new carbon fiber intake‘s I put on from Ideal Racing. I believe they give me about 25 wheel horsepower as they claim plus it sounds so much nicer.
Earlier in the day a Hooked on Driving instructor driving a nice Porsche Carrera S tried to hang with me but I was quite a bit faster.
After the session he came over to me at my trailer and asked me all kinds of questions and said he was “very impressed” with the ALFA😃 That was nice to hear🤗
1:50 laps:
Giving Porsche huge smoke screens after passing:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Nice work @Call me Al . As they say across the pond here, proof is in the pudding. 4 seconds is quite a marked improvement. I am curious about the CF I take and the 25whp increase. How does just an intake even with better flow geometry provide that much gain on its own? I am slightly puzzled. Nice photos again.

Reactions: Call me Al

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Nice work @Call me Al . As they say across the pond here, proof is in the pudding. 4 seconds is quite a marked improvement. I am curious about the CF I take and the 25whp increase. How does just an intake even with better flow geometry provide that much gain on its own? I am slightly puzzled. Nice photos again.
I would say it most likely doesn’t just on its own. Now combined with other components like tuning etc it should help. They look great though. Goes from one filter stock to two cone filters. So it should breath better.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Thanks it was a really fun day!
Not the only one to doubt the 25 wheel horsepower gain. But then again anything you do people will challenge you that’s just the nature of it.
I believe Eric has got a dyno showing the increase but the only don’t I really care about is my butt dyno and I can feel it faster as in more snappy especially at the higher end.
On the road course I’m lifting where I didn’t used to plus my ribs are sore from the day so that tells me something. It was a bit colder than the last time I came here without the intakes but 15° shouldn’t make that much of a difference.
The intakes not only are larger but they’re much smoother and direct. Also you have those nice double KN air filters. Just looking at the two systems it’s obvious one is much more efficient.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
So my hopes for a really fast lap speed going counterclockwise today we’re dashed by mother nature!!!!
It’s supposed to warm up but I doubt it’s going to make the track completely dry today!!
Maybe it will be donuts in the parking lot!
Hey you can see what my fender flare/ground effects mod would look like if I filled them in and made it more like a traditional widebody kit.... I don’t like it plus I’d lose most all my downforce.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
I love that you've left all the stickers on it. Makes it look like a serious racing car.

Have you considered entering it into any SCCA Time Attack events? I bet you'd mop the place up.
I’ll leave them on there for a few more months. It’s fun to drive around town with the on everyone looks at you and smiles a lot of people know about the gold rush rally here.
I’ve done some local time attacks and won them twice. What’s the big ones are usually in California although we did have a big one in Western Washington. I was too late to enter a bit I think you have to have a roll cage for the class that I would be in with my mods and that’s not going to happen. But we will see.
I also have a Lotus Elise I’m building up that I might turn into a track monster for time attacks and it has a roll cage in it already. The fastest cars are lighter than a Guilia in the nationwide contests.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
It was snowy and then wet on the track all day today. Still had a lot of fun!
Filled in my fender flare ground effects with snow to see what the car would look like if it was blended in like a bolt on widebody. I didn’t really like it and I would lose most all my downforce.
Here’s a couple videos.
When you really get into the gas pedal like in the second video when the track wasn’t as snowy and my tires were warmed up would not believe the poor gas mileage!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Awesome snow tracking video, nice way to practice low grip driving.
I can hear your car has BOV mod, did you notice and performance loss? Recirculation vs venting air, so I was imagining you can lose responsiveness or something, if not, I'd love to try it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #331 ·
G force in the Giuila QV.
It’s the off-season and I’ve been going through some videos from this year with my 2017 Giuila QV Widebody.
I’m not a big data guy but looking at the data is pretty impressive how much G force the lightly modded Giuila QV has and also what a extra bump my widebody added.
Looking at some videos from a year ago I would range around 1.G maybe up to 1.3G
on the big turns. I understand this might be peak G readings instead of sustained G but I think if you look at the long sweepers you can see it’s still up there high. Also this is with the G meter accelerometer in my iPhone but I believe it’s fairly close.
That is really good for a pretty much only ECU tuned and brake pad improved stock production car on street tires!😃
I’m wondering if anyone else checks their G forces with their tracking on the race courses?
When I added my widebody I took off between 3 to 4 seconds off my lap time which is huge on these 2.3 mile tracks. Fastest laps this year all on street tires were:
SCR 1:30.4
ORP 1:50.4
Very happy with with those laptimes and in the improvement due to my Widebody.😃
But I also bumped up my G forces quite a bit. Now I am around 1.3G on all turns and often up around all the way up to 1.7G on street tires. Sure the tires are quite a bit wider and I have more negative camber but that 1.7G in turns and up to 1.5G in braking is still quite a feat for a four-door sedan on street tires that I daily drive quite comfortably😃
The Giuila is an amazing car it’s been out for over three years and still no sedan stock or modded can touch it unless it comes with some stupid negative camber readings like -3.8front -3 rear like the new 2021 Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S has to make it fast at the track. If you kept the alignment like that and drove that on the street you would wear out the inside of your front and rear tires in just a few thousand miles! I suspect most owners have it adjusted down quite a bit. FYI the Giuila QV only has -.5 camber and Fabio drove the green hell in just a few seconds slower. I imagine if they tweaked the camber it would be faster than the Merc.

My widebody laterial G at Spokane County Raceway:

my Widebody at Oregon Raceway Park lateral G

my widebody braking at SCR

widebody top speed

From last year with my car with a few months before the widebody really good!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Second tracking day at HOD event at ORP😃 stick a fork in me I’m done😂
I took off my old daily driver 200 hardness tires and put on some proper 100 hardness tires. Took off three seconds.
This video is the real shit..... now no one can hang with me here, even the green GT3RS and the black one that was giving me trouble yesterday
1:50.2 Laptime and several 1:51s and 1:52s is seriously fast for daily driver sedan on street tires!😃 and I’m pulling up to 1.6 G now!
HOD people were way impressed. There were five GT3RS cars there one highly modded I think four of them were in the C group which is the highest and yet none of them could stay with Alfie.
My first time out this season and I broke my lap record and I had so much fun what a blast!
Don’t even try to tell me these other drivers are not good as several of them are. Maybe I’m better but so what I think it’s pretty clear now....Alfa is the Alpha even over cars costing 2X even 3X the price.😃🤗🥇🇮🇹🍝

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Just a single lap video from Monday as I stuck around for half a members day and there was this beautiful red Ferrari. The owner was an OK driver and he actually drove his Ferrari much faster than most people do. I gave him some pointers and helped him out in a session.
But what this video shows is that my lightly engine modded Giuila QV can hang in the straightaways with this very expensive powerful Ferrari. Every time he went to the straightaway he floored it and I floored it and I stuck right with him. And if you watched the videos from a couple days earlier with a GT3RS cars it’s the same thing!
My Giuila QV has not been dyno’d but it’s over 600 HP I’m sure.
Stock is 505 so that’s quite a jump for not changing any internal engine parts or being very invasive.
All I have done is this fantastic ECU tune and also fantastic carbon fiber Intakes from Eric at IdealRace
And I know that the intakes work because last year I didn’t have them and this year I had to lift in places where I didn’t have to. Plus I broke my track record with a 150.2 laptime and that was on 100 hardnessstreet tires.
And Sunday afternoon at the HOD event when many cars were breaking down and people were leaving....Alfa was the last man standing out there busting out the final sessions kicking ass and taking names. I say that’s a pretty reliable car!
Only other power thing I have is a catless Ragazzon exhaust system I bought from another Eric at MADNESS Autoworks
That I also recommend.
So a lightly modded and reliable Italian sedan that can stay with the fastest cars at the racetrack on the straightaways..... that’s bad ass😃✊🥇
Support your vendors😃

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
939 Posts
I say that’s a pretty reliable car!
Ok, this is where you lost me. Everyone knows Alfas are unreliable junk, and you're better off buying anything German instead of this Italian lemon. So let me ask, should I get a Giulia? I'm concerned about reliability..blah..blah..blah... :rolleyes:

Keep it up, you're my hero!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
Ok, this is where you lost me. Everyone knows Alfas are unreliable junk, and you're better off buying anything German instead of this Italian lemon. So let me ask, should I get a Giulia? I'm concerned about reliability..blah..blah..blah... :rolleyes:

Keep it up, you're my hero!
Damn right I was the last man standing and also king of the track over 50 cars!
I know a Porsche guy at the track was trying to pull that unreliable shit on me the beginning of the second day and that was his first day there.
Then I incinerated his Cayman lol never heard any of that from him again.
I probably have 100 track days between my three Alfas and not one time was I unable to track at all. And only a few times I only got half a day because some weird thing happened like my rear wheel bearing once went out that was easy to fix back home but I did have to end of the track day early because I couldn’t fix it until I got back to the shop.
And a few times small weird things happened and I just fix them right at the track.
And in the same time. I have seen so many other make cars breakdown, overheat, blow engines, just not run right and everything else you could imagine.
When you push the car at the track it’s exponential wear and every car will have some problems but Alfa‘s been more reliable than almost all other makes I would say other than Porsche. Those cars are quite reliable but you pay a whole lot of money if you want something that’s even close to the speed of a lightly modded Alfa.
Nobody drives their Alfa harder than I do. Just look at these brakes after this big weekend! Battle scars yes but they never faded once or even overheat because I know how to use them and also I put in the best brake fluid, change it often and have Girodisc rotors and brake pads which are cheaper than OEM. And it was close to 80° and we were driving like maniacs each session and my car only had the overheat light come on one time towards the very end of the second day at the end of a session.
And my coolant has not been changed in 25,000 miles so I’m way overdue and I’m going to put better coolant in. But what I’m saying is the engines and transmissions and all that are very stout. Yes it has a few minor software glitches that you can work around with a code scanner or if you know what you’re doing and don’t put the gas on and also the brake on at the same time and cause that throttlebody light to come on. I honestly think most of these reliability issues and even getting your car towed to the dealership or because people don’t know much about sportscars and they want to treat Alfa like a Toyota!
And people have a bad battery and they freak out and don’t know what to do and have the car towed in. I’m quite sure all you have to do is jump the car charge the battery and then drive it to the dealership to get a new battery rather than tow it in.
And when you I have a bad battery or you disconnect the battery and you have all those lights on your dash all you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to the left and hold it and then to the right all the way and hold it for about two seconds and then do that sequence three or four times and then start the car two or three times and all the lights are gone. You don’t even need a code scanner for that. Yet people will freak out and have their car towed in because they have some lights on the dash.
I worked on the old 1970s Alfas and oh my gosh they were a lot more work than these.
And the software updates of gotten rid of most all the modern glitches anyway!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
Ha ha apparently the word is out about the Giuila QV . One of my videos beating up the GT3RS cars has gone viral and is it 7000+ views and climbing in just 1 day!
Apparently they’re even talking about this in Italy.
But I don’t know what they’re saying?!😂
Wonder if they know where Oregon is!🤔

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
Ha ha apparently the word is out about the Giuila QV . One of my videos beating up the GT3RS cars has gone viral and is it 7000+ views and climbing in just 1 day!
Apparently they’re even talking about this in Italy.
But I don’t know what they’re saying?!😂
Wonder if they know where Oregon is!🤔
View attachment 111960
That's really cool. Can you link the article?

Reactions: Call me Al

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
That's really cool. Can you link the article?
Thank you it’s interesting to read what the Italians wrote. The article is quite nice I translated it with Google translate. I’ll post that part too it’s not perfect but you can get the gist.
The comments are kind of funny to pretty crazy. Some guy is complaining about dusty apexes, one saying that it looks like a go kart track lol. And one guy swears it’s a video game!

translation:
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio challenges a Porsche 911 GT3 RS | Video

A few minutes in the name of emotions, with an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio on the hunt for a Porsche.

A video gives us the on board emotions of the action of an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, engaged on the track in Oregon Raceway Park, where its driver engages in a duel with a "rival" at the wheel of a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. The German supercar, on paper, is favored, because it is more specialized for use on the track, but in such cases, a top driver can make the difference.

I do not anticipate anything about the dynamics of the comparison, but here there is a lack of analytical references, which can give it scientific connotations. Basically, there is no winner and loser, because it was not a race and because the two drivers in the driver's seat do not have the same stuff or, perhaps, the same desire to push to the limit.

All things being equal, the Porsche 911 GT3 RS probably would have no difficulty setting better times than its Milanese rival and gaining ground even in a conspicuous way, but we are interested in tasting the magic of behavior of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, which really proves to be very incisive between the curbs, with unexpected dynamics for a four-door car, even if it is as sporty as in its case.

A very sharp snake car

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, queen of emotions, enjoys the thrust of a 510 horsepower 2.9 V6 twin-turbo engine, derived from Ferrari, called upon to express itself on a weight of 1524 kilograms. This model is the showcase of the Milanese brand's excellence, with a winning DNA and an unmistakably Italian style. Its performance is at the top of the category.

The energy force is discharged to the ground, on the rear wheels only, with the help of an 8-speed gearbox which, in Race mode, ensures lightning-fast gear changes in just 150 milliseconds. The electronics on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio are at the service of safety and emotions, to provide the most authentic and engaging experience behind the wheel. The range of solutions offered for dynamic enjoyment is wide and includes: Alfa Active Suspension active suspension, Alfa DNA Pro selector with Race mode, Alfa Active Aero splitter, coordinated and adapted in real time by the Alfa Chassis control unit Domain Control, which allows the car and the driver to always have the ideal conditions to take full advantage of the vehicle's exceptional performance.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio with its head held high

The numbers are important, even if in such cases they appear reductive compared to the consistency of the package: acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h is cleared in just 3.9 seconds, while the top speed reaches 307 km / h. Needless to say, the sound is at the top, also given the hand put in by the men from Maranello. Handling is also a reference. The on-track behavior of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, shown in this camera car on Oregon Raceway Park, confirms this.

The other car starring in the shoot is, as we said, a Porsche 911 GT3, which embodies the boldest spirit of the Stuttgart brand. It is a beast that is perfectly at ease on the track, where it leaves little hope for its rivals, with equal driving skills. The beating heart of the model is a 4-liter, 6-cylinder aspirated boxer engine, which delivers a maximum power of 520 horsepower. Its frame, specific for use between the curbs, gives a dynamic surgical cutting behavior.

Acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h is liquidated in 3.2 seconds, while the maximum speed is pushed to an altitude of 312 km / h. What the numbers do not tell, however, are its reference dynamics, especially on the circuit. A good driver behind the wheel of an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, however, can draw different and unrealistic scenarios in a homogeneous picture, for example keeping pace without problems. To you the frames offered by the film, which we advise you to enjoy with the speakers rigorously turned on. Good vision!

Clubalfa.it has been selected by the new Google News service, if you want to be always updated on our news

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Article is great you can tell they are passionate about Alfa. But they fail to mention it’s a modified QV that can overtake the Porsche in real Life. They made it sound like the Porsche driver was bad and this was just a fluke around a small track. Send em pics AL. Let em see the monster.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
Thank you it’s interesting to read what the Italians wrote. The article is quite nice I translated it with Google translate. I’ll post that part too it’s not perfect but you can get the gist.
The comments are kind of funny to pretty crazy. Some guy is complaining about dusty apexes, one saying that it looks like a go kart track lol. And one guy swears it’s a video game!

translation:
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio challenges a Porsche 911 GT3 RS | Video

A few minutes in the name of emotions, with an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio on the hunt for a Porsche.

A video gives us the on board emotions of the action of an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, engaged on the track in Oregon Raceway Park, where its driver engages in a duel with a "rival" at the wheel of a Porsche 911 GT3 RS. The German supercar, on paper, is favored, because it is more specialized for use on the track, but in such cases, a top driver can make the difference.

I do not anticipate anything about the dynamics of the comparison, but here there is a lack of analytical references, which can give it scientific connotations. Basically, there is no winner and loser, because it was not a race and because the two drivers in the driver's seat do not have the same stuff or, perhaps, the same desire to push to the limit.

All things being equal, the Porsche 911 GT3 RS probably would have no difficulty setting better times than its Milanese rival and gaining ground even in a conspicuous way, but we are interested in tasting the magic of behavior of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, which really proves to be very incisive between the curbs, with unexpected dynamics for a four-door car, even if it is as sporty as in its case.

A very sharp snake car

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, queen of emotions, enjoys the thrust of a 510 horsepower 2.9 V6 twin-turbo engine, derived from Ferrari, called upon to express itself on a weight of 1524 kilograms. This model is the showcase of the Milanese brand's excellence, with a winning DNA and an unmistakably Italian style. Its performance is at the top of the category.

The energy force is discharged to the ground, on the rear wheels only, with the help of an 8-speed gearbox which, in Race mode, ensures lightning-fast gear changes in just 150 milliseconds. The electronics on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio are at the service of safety and emotions, to provide the most authentic and engaging experience behind the wheel. The range of solutions offered for dynamic enjoyment is wide and includes: Alfa Active Suspension active suspension, Alfa DNA Pro selector with Race mode, Alfa Active Aero splitter, coordinated and adapted in real time by the Alfa Chassis control unit Domain Control, which allows the car and the driver to always have the ideal conditions to take full advantage of the vehicle's exceptional performance.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio with its head held high

The numbers are important, even if in such cases they appear reductive compared to the consistency of the package: acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h is cleared in just 3.9 seconds, while the top speed reaches 307 km / h. Needless to say, the sound is at the top, also given the hand put in by the men from Maranello. Handling is also a reference. The on-track behavior of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, shown in this camera car on Oregon Raceway Park, confirms this.

The other car starring in the shoot is, as we said, a Porsche 911 GT3, which embodies the boldest spirit of the Stuttgart brand. It is a beast that is perfectly at ease on the track, where it leaves little hope for its rivals, with equal driving skills. The beating heart of the model is a 4-liter, 6-cylinder aspirated boxer engine, which delivers a maximum power of 520 horsepower. Its frame, specific for use between the curbs, gives a dynamic surgical cutting behavior.

Acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h is liquidated in 3.2 seconds, while the maximum speed is pushed to an altitude of 312 km / h. What the numbers do not tell, however, are its reference dynamics, especially on the circuit. A good driver behind the wheel of an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, however, can draw different and unrealistic scenarios in a homogeneous picture, for example keeping pace without problems. To you the frames offered by the film, which we advise you to enjoy with the speakers rigorously turned on. Good vision!

Clubalfa.it has been selected by the new Google News service, if you want to be always updated on our news
Driver is key!

It's a great article. The passion is there. We need more of that.

321 - 340 of 364 Posts