Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
61 Posts
My speedometer is about 2-3 mph off as many others have said. Stock everything, GPS speed versus dash speed. Italian speedometers being a bit ambitious in their readings is kind of a cliché. I figured Alfa was leaning into that.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
as said, European regulations state that speedometer is not allowed to read low, so to be safe and cater for tyre wear, temp. etc. manufacturers usually set to read slightly higher

5.3. The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the test speeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5 above, there shall be the following relationship between the speed displayed (V1) and the true speed (V2). 0 ≤ (V1 – V2) ≤ 0,1 V2 + 4 km/h

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sprint
140 Posts
Odometer is usually very accurate
Add to that, it's the canonical reading on how far your car has moved during its lifetime. Even if you put a calibrated measuring wheel on the back of your car (and thus actually inventing the wheel ... again) to make 99.9999% accurate odometer readings, "they" would have none of it since it's your word against theirs and an odometer the rest of the world has agreed is already accurate enough.

But sure, if you fought them in court long enough, you could probably stretch your extended warranty to 90,216 miles, unless you found that their odometer miles was also longer than 87,000.

Stick to whatever Alfa Romeo gave you ;)

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sprint
140 Posts
I’m always 3kms above (based on Waze/Gmaps)
Yep, same. It's been like that for every car I've owned since I started to drive in 1985. It's the law.
Also, according to official info here, the local road authorities use a safety margin in their automated speed traps, but the safety margins aren't the same everywhere. On top of that the speed traps shave 3 km/h off everything below 100 km/h and 3% off the measured speed over 100 km/h.

In practical terms that means you actually drove too fast if you're caught in an automated speed trap. No two ways about it.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
I consistently read 2MPH higher on the Giulia than Waze thinks I am doing.

But let's be real... No one is getting a speeding ticket over 2MPH, and at the speeds some of us might travel... 2MPH might be considered a rounding error anyways...

Reactions: TorW

·
Registered
161 Posts
If my math is correct (highly suspect!) Then over my 87000 mile extended warranty I could be losing between 2 and 3 thousand miles of that to an inflated speedometer reading...assuming of course that this translates to an inflated odometer reading as well. Makes me wonder if you could argue this if you are slightly out of warranty trying to get a problem fixed.
Huh. Y'know I never thought of that but you're not wrong. Odometers are "accurate" but they only accurately record the number of wheel rotations, not true distance traveled. I think if you wanted you actually could make that argument, though I think you would get a dealer to agree more out of "aw jesus I'm not dealing with this, give him the fucking warranty", than "wow what an insightful man, he's right about everything! Throw in a free air freshener, too!" :LOL:

Edit: Obviously the answer is to put on some great big 40" mud tires and get 140,000 miles out of your 87,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
LEO: "How's that tailwind?"

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
530 Posts
It's not only an Alfa thing. My last 3 Acuras also had speedometers that read 2-3 mph low. As does my CRV.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My speedometer is off at least 2 miles a hour. Sometimes it seems it's 3-4 MPH off. Tires have proper pressure. Anyone get this fixed? @Beta Romeo any chance a speed calibration can be done to fix this?

Yes, I have searched the forum and I heard that Alfa puts in a lower speed in the system but that's bogus if it's true.
Unfortunately there is no correction in the scan tool. Mine is also fast by 2 mph.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
My old Honda on stock tires was accurate compared to Waze and radar gps

The pzero are a consistent 2mph higher, but my winter pa4 are exponentially higher (as high as 7mph off at 150mph) I didn't want to risk going any higher since they are W rated at 168

·
Registered
435 Posts
In Australia, our design rules say a car manufactured after 2006 shall over read by 0 - 10% to be compliant. Pre 2006, the rules said +/- 10% was acceptable.

Comparing to the GPS, my QV indicates 63 km/h at an actual 60 km/h, and shows 105 km/h at an actual 100 km/h, so essentially a 5% inaccuracy. VW Golfs seem worst here, the are normally 8 - 9% off their true speed.

·
Registered
2018 Guilia Quadrifoglio
2 Posts
Based on Dragy, my Quad is typically reading 3 mph higher than it should. My prior RS3 was spot on…

·
Registered
208 Posts
IDK, I'm enjoying driving my Giulia so much I don't really give it any attention. I usually keep my super slab highway speeds limited to 10 over which seems to be the sweet spot for avoiding unexpected meet ups with very helpful officer friendly. Not quite so much over on the 2 lane roads. I learned a long time ago: "Don't do on the road what you do on the race track and don't do on the race track what you do on the road." It's a good rule to live by.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts