Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I special ordered a 2017 Giulia Ti. My dealer wasn't (still isn't) even sure if they could.

I've reviewed their list of almost 40 Giulias that FCA told them they have to accept, without giving my dealer a choice of cars and options. Not one car on this list met what we thought we might like.

We don't even need a sedan and we're not replacing any existing cars. So, if we can't get exactly what we want, there's no point in buying. We test drove a Ti a few days ago and fell in love. My wife and I both drove it, I put about ten miles on it. I also was allowed to take a Quadrifoglio around the block prior to this. The Giulia is well planted to the road with very nice acceleration. Firm yet compliant without wallowing.

We're in no hurry to get it and currently don't even have off-street parking for more than one car. My 4C is privileged and gets parked off-street, out-of-doors, but off-street. Dealer thinks it's four months away. We are talking about Alfa Romeo of Italy who's motto is, "You want it when?"

As I mentioned, the dealer wasn't sure if the options I wanted were available together as some of the packages had conflicting parts. They hadn't tried to special order a Giulia yet and didn't know if that was even possible. Together we reviewed the options using dealer information and found a way to get exactly what we wanted. The computer program accepted our order and time will tell what really happens.

Our Giulia Ti order is:

2017 Guilia Ti RWD (North American spec)
Montecarlo Blue Metallic

Lusso Interior which includes:
- Beige leather seats
- Light walnut real wood trim

Ti Performance Package:
- Limited Slip Differential
- Paddle Shifters
- Active Suspension
- Black calipers with white lettering

Upgraded Harmon Kardon Premium Sound System
- 14 speakers
- SatNav and blue tooth (I think this is a separate option)

Driver Assist Static Package only because it includes auto-dimming side mirrors

The Ti includes heated seats as standard so I excluded the Cold Weather Package that included a block heater. It doesn't get cold enough here to need it.

Excluded the sun roof.

Excluded Driver Assist Dynamic package which includes nannies to tell you if you're swerving out of your lane or tailgating. We are both better drivers than that.

Because we wanted the wood trim and beige seats (Luxury Package), there are two other performance packages not allowed. One is an exterior trim package and the other is an interior trim package. The exterior isn't much different looking than the standard and until it was pointed out to me, I didn't even notice it. Just show car bling. The interior trim includes aluminum trim (instead of wood) and paddle shifters. We wanted wood, not aluminum trim.

MSRP is $47,840

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on the order!

FYI, I've also put in a custom order on Dec 12 last year. As of yesterday my order status is code: JB = built, inspected, shipped to body vendor. (I'll start another thread about order status codes.) My dealer still has no idea when it will arrive, I'm hoping it won't be later than April.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the order!

FYI, I've also put in a custom order on Dec 12 last year. As of yesterday my order status is code: JB = built, inspected, shipped to body vendor. (I'll start another thread about order status codes.) My dealer still has no idea when it will arrive, I'm hoping it won't be later than April.
One of the few dealers/sales people that's actually honest. My dealer seemed to think it would take four, and he quickly said, "I didn't say four what though." I've seen some of the 4C special orders (Europe) take a year and a half.

It will get here when it gets here. Fortunately, we're not in any hurry. I'll keep you guys updated as I learn anything.

Knowing the codes will be useful.
Currently I'm a build priority 99. I have no idea what that number means.
My status is BA - Pending order.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice job on the custom orders. I can't seem to find the options I want at the local dealers. My nearest dealer won't do a custom order, so maybe I'll be trying another a bit further away. How did your order actually work? Did you have to place a deposit? Did you agree on a final sales price or can you negotiate that when Giulia actually arrives (i.e. if you don't buy it, the dealer has high confidence to sell it to somebody else)? And how did you find out your order status code? Does somebody give you an update or you have to ping your dealer periodically? Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice job on the custom orders. I can't seem to find the options I want at the local dealers. My nearest dealer won't do a custom order, so maybe I'll be trying another a bit further away. How did your order actually work? Did you have to place a deposit? Did you agree on a final sales price or can you negotiate that when Giulia actually arrives (i.e. if you don't buy it, the dealer has high confidence to sell it to somebody else)? And how did you find out your order status code? Does somebody give you an update or you have to ping your dealer periodically? Thanks.
I'm not sure how the custom orders actually work on the dealer's side though. We have 3 dealers in my area and only 1 offered to do factory orders back in last December. The other 2 told me that they would just accept whatever cars they were allocated until they get invited by AR to do factory orders. The dealer I ordered with is part of a Ferrari/Maserati network so maybe that put them on a higher priority? Just my speculation.

In terms of order deposit and sales price negotiation, I'm pretty sure it will vary from dealer to dealer; In my case they didn't require me to put down any deposit, but also wasn't able to commit to a final sales price (just told me they are selling for MSRP at the moment). The status code is displayed in the dealer order system, so yes, you'll need to ping them to get any update. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a good relation with my dealer. I've bought two cars there including my 4C. They service my 4C and my wife's Fiat 500. At their request, I've shown my 4C at certain events. (We take the 4c to many events anyway, both driving and parking.) I drive my 4C, a lot. When I crashed it, they did the repair. There have been times when I've shown my 4C to a potential customer because they didn't have one to show. I chit-chat with these customers just as do with anybody that tells me my car is cool and asks, "What is it?" They're dumb-founded when I tell them that my wife I drove it (the 4C) to Seattle and back, 4,000 miles in three weeks. "Took all the back-roads. Perfect car for those winding roads."

They weren't sure if they could special order a Giulia or not. I think part of this is an experiment on their part to see if and how the system works. I'm not in any hurry to receive the car, which is a good thing because we all know how slow AR can be.

I did not put down a deposit. They know they can sell the car if I change my mind. We did not discuss the final price. They had offered me pick-of-the-litter at MSRP. I think this will be MSRP to me. I did pay 18k over for my 4C, I also ended up with the first 4C sold in Los Angeles. But, the 4C was important to me, the Giulia isn't. (that didn't come out right)

I doubt if my dealer will call me with updates. I'm sure I'll have to ping them from time to time. But, they're only four miles away, I can just pop in anytime I want.

"How did your order actually work?"
One of the sales personal took us out on a nice long test drive. I put about ten miles on a Ti with paddles. A few days later I talked with the sales manager, he told his assistant to see if he could even do a special order, and if these options could be done. After using the computer and it's software, we got all the specs I wanted and didn't want. The manager said to order it. I got a print-out and now we wait. The order has my name on it, so any updates (or a car) that AR sends my dealer will be ear-marked for me.

Reactions: tvrbob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks guys. Seems reasonable that only some (premier) dealers are currently set to do custom orders. I'll keep trying some more dealers till I find one that will do a custom order, but LA is not far off, SD is a little further. I don't have the VIP relationship with the dealer (they call you to display your own car, nice!), but we'll see if that matters. As for the price, if the car arrives next week with all my options (doubtful), I'd be inclined to pay a little. If it arrives as one of the last batch of 2017's and the 2018's are rolling out (possible), I'm not terribly inclined to pay MSRP. So figuring out a price when it's actually delivered seems fair.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Seems reasonable that only some (premier) dealers are currently set to do custom orders. I'll keep trying some more dealers till I find one that will do a custom order, but LA is not far off, SD is a little further. I don't have the VIP relationship with the dealer (they call you to display your own car, nice!), but we'll see if that matters. As for the price, if the car arrives next week with all my options (doubtful), I'd be inclined to pay a little. If it arrives as one of the last batch of 2017's and the 2018's are rolling out (possible), I'm not terribly inclined to pay MSRP. So figuring out a price when it's actually delivered seems fair.
I bought the first 4C they received. Three months later the second 4C arrived. I was excited to show my Bella.

·
Registered
418 Posts
One of the few dealers/sales people that's actually honest. My dealer seemed to think it would take four, and he quickly said, "I didn't say four what though." I've seen some of the 4C special orders (Europe) take a year and a half.

It will get here when it gets here. Fortunately, we're not in any hurry. I'll keep you guys updated as I learn anything.

Knowing the codes will be useful.
Currently I'm a build priority 99. I have no idea what that number means.
My status is BA - Pending order.
It's a bit hard to say at the moment. I agree with the 4 month portion. It will get quicker as more workers are hired at the cassino factory and FCA switches from shipping all cars to Baltimore to shipping to four different ports. Mine will now come in at Houston which will be wayy better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My wait time is 2 months and counting... According to status code it's already built and inspected, so it should be crossing the ocean at the moment. My guess would be 3-4 month turnaround time, depending on which port it enters the US and where you are located.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What's the consensus on turnaround time from placing custom order to delivery (~3 months)?
My wait time is 2 months and counting... According to status code it's already built and inspected, so it should be crossing the ocean at the moment. My guess would be 3-4 month turnaround time, depending on which port it enters the US and where you are located.
Rollers- our store will do custom orders on a Ti without blinking. Not sure why the local won't. We're Texas, can fly you out or ship it to you.

Just talked with my owner about lead time today. Ti orders are about 10 weeks, build and arrival at port 8 weeks, two weeks for inspection at port and actual arrival is the basic thought process. QV order lead time is essentially unknown due to how backed up that particular model is.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Lol. For very good reason...
In the Philly region, all dealers have sold allocations. Deposits are one thing. Having the owner show up to purchase it when it arrives in the spring or summer is entirely another.

Each dealer in this region has 3-4 Quadrifoglio allocations for the year. Seems like as an overall annual sales prospect that there will be only a few hundred Quadrifoglio's sold.

Good for the new owners I suppose? Higher resale due to low supply and high demand? The only cars still for sale in the country are at dealers playing the "Over MSRP game".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rollers- our store will do custom orders on a Ti without blinking. Not sure why the local won't. We're Texas, can fly you out or ship it to you.

Just talked with my owner about lead time today. Ti orders are about 10 weeks, build and arrival at port 8 weeks, two weeks for inspection at port and actual arrival is the basic thought process. QV order lead time is essentially unknown due to how backed up that particular model is.
I checked with two sales reps and the mgr at one dealer, they refused to do a custom order. So I called around to different dealers and quickly found one that would do a custom order. It was their first custom, so they had a few sales folks involved and the GM himself place the order. The GM calls up an AR rep and they get the order going. They did want a deposit, so I obliged. I asked about delivery time and they were firm at 2.5 months, so I agree with your 10 week statement. It's getting faster and they are planning to use multiple ports. Order status BA (pending). Scheduling priority 1 (sold). Build priority 99 (not sure).

·
Registered
418 Posts
I checked with two sales reps and the mgr at one dealer, they refused to do a custom order. So I called around to different dealers and quickly found one that would do a custom order. It was their first custom, so they had a few sales folks involved and the GM himself place the order. The GM calls up an AR rep and they get the order going. They did want a deposit, so I obliged. I asked about delivery time and they were firm at 2.5 months, so I agree with your 10 week statement. It's getting faster and they are planning to use multiple ports. Order status BA (pending). Scheduling priority 1 (sold). Build priority 99 (not sure).
Awesome. 99 is on every order I've ever seen so I've never looked into the meaning. Sold orders are filled before stock orders. Correct. Mine are coming in through Houston in the future which will help out tremendously

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do we know when the 2017 to 2018 Model Year cut-over will occur? I'm hoping for some additional colors for MY18, like Misano Blue.
Typically around October/November is when car companies introduce next years models. That in the US.

Car companies can and do make changes at any time though. If there's a significant enough of a change (or changes), then it becomes knows as the special half year model. 2017 1/2. Most companies try to avoid that though. But as we all know, AR isn't most companies.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.