Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so I aborted my first attempt to install the V2 intake and am waiting for some clarification from EC regarding how to remove one of the OEM clamps, but I did get the engine cover off. I see lots of unidentifiable parts (MAir 2 related?) but no spark plug wires or spark plugs. Are they buried underneath all of that other stuff?

Might anyone have a diagram with labels for what it is that I am looking at?

To the right of the remarkably skinny (plastic?) intake manifold (turbo outlet, over the top and to the back of the engine) there is a plastic cover with a thick foam pad. The pad is loose in my car but looks like it should be attached to the cover on the right; is it supposed to be loose like that?

Where is this infamous liquid intercooler? Down on the right side of the engine where it is hard to see from the top?

Does the engine cover do anything other than control noise, like manage heat? It certainly is heavy for a "simple" cover.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You won’t see wires, the plugs have individual coils on top of them, secured with a 10mm bolt usually. The cover does reduce noise but also heat, mostly noise though.
With regards to the clamp, I haven’t seen it but Fiat/Alfa love to use clamps that need to be cut off and replaced for some reason, so if your intake includes a new clamp you’ll need to cut the old one off. I’m guessing it looks like a steel tie-strap, kinda.....in which case you need to cut it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The intercooler is at the end of the turbo outlet that you saw. It's bolted directly to the right side of the cylinder head. It's much smaller than an air cooled type.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You won’t see wires, the plugs have individual coils on top of them, secured with a 10mm bolt usually. The cover does reduce noise but also heat, mostly noise though.
With regards to the clamp, I haven’t seen it but Fiat/Alfa love to use clamps that need to be cut off and replaced for some reason, so if your intake includes a new clamp you’ll need to cut the old one off. I’m guessing it looks like a steel tie-strap, kinda.....in which case you need to cut it.
Thanks. Those nasty clamps seem to be popular with the European manufacturers. I am certain that they are cheap, reliable, fast to install when using a $5000 pneumatic tool on the production line and flatly unacceptable in every other way (one use only, extremely difficult to remove). Anyway, the advice I got to pry it off with a small screwdriver does not work; due to an indentation in the middle of the crimp there is no way to insert a screwdriver. There is also no way to get a hacksaw at it without major collateral damage. The metal is too thick to cut it with diagonal cutters, at least without a high risk of collateral damage. A Dremel circular cutter (or equivalent) is the only thing that looks like it will work.

There supposedly is a specialty tool for removing these clamps, but nobody has posted a part number or such.

Several people have installed this kit on their own cars and nobody has mentioned this issue; what am I missing?

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I use long handled diagonal cutters that I sharpened, a bit more.
It can be difficult, but, use both hands and the death grip. It'll cut em.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those 'funny' clamps are a high tension type that has the dual advantage of a low profile and maintaining tension over a wider temperature range than a screw type clamp. You need the right tool for the job. Like this: https://www.dhgate.com/product/professional-flat-band-hose-clamp-pliers/404945241.html
Thanks, although I called the clamp "nasty" (bad to work with) not "funny" (strange, hard to understand). It is not obvious to me if I can twist this specific clamp around enough to get the pliers on it. It seems that AR pays no attention to the orientation of the clamp when they install it. On my car the piece that the chisel point needs to pry up faces the engine cylinder head so that the whole things needs to be rotated most of 90 degrees to get at it. However, it is attached to the main intake duct, which is a large piece that I am uncertain if I can turn it that far. I guess I could release the clamp next to the one I want to release (it is oriented so that I can easily get the pliers on it) so that I can get the duct clear of the car so that I can get the pliers on the clamp that I need to release properly <sigh>.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Those 'funny' clamps are a high tension type that has the dual advantage of a low profile and maintaining tension over a wider temperature range than a screw type clamp. You need the right tool for the job. Like this: https://www.dhgate.com/product/professional-flat-band-hose-clamp-pliers/404945241.html
That’s not the style I was thinking of, Mostly used for cooling systems though, not intake, I have the tool for those as they’re used on Fiats and other FCA vehicles now, everyone hates them though as they seem to loose tension over time and cannot be tightened so we replace them with screw clamps and call it a day.

I’m thinking of a very flat, steel clamp that’s similar to a steel tie-strap, but very low profile. Those are not removable, even though Alfa says they are and have even sold me new ones in the past, which I tossed and replaced with screw clamps, lol. @lockem can you get a pic?

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s not the style I was thinking of, Mostly used for cooling systems though, not intake, I have the tool for those as they’re used on Fiats and other FCA vehicles now, everyone hates them though as they seem to loose tension over time and cannot be tightened so we replace them with screw clamps and call it a day.

I’m thinking of a very flat, steel clamp that’s similar to a steel tie-strap, but very low profile. Those are not removable, even though Alfa says they are and have even sold me new ones in the past, which I tossed and replaced with screw clamps, lol. @lockem can you get a pic?
Here is what I am looking at. It is not exactly the same as the clamps I encountered on my Audi, but similar in that the clamp is bent with a specialized tool to install.
I think the tool that was referenced will work if the chisel is sharp enough and clear access is possible. Per the diagram, I presume that the tool is supposed to peel up the "loose end" of the clamp, releasing it from the hooks that it engages (I am guessing that the clamp is not spot welded together).

I tried to insert a screwdriver blade as well as a sharp chisel blade under said loose end and could not hook it. If this clamp is welded together it will be necessary to either bend or cut that crimp to release it.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is I am currently sick (this [email protected]#$ing flu that's been in the news) but as a result have plenty of time to work on the car (short spurts only), but really am not fit to go drive anywhere to get tools. My Dremel is on the other side of the state where I can drive as soon as I am well and then don't have lot's of time to work on the car.

I would replace this with a spring clamp, since screw clamps do not cope with small diameter hoses very well. EC says the clamp doesn't do anything, just leave it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
That clamp is similar to an old CV boot clamp, they are not reusable and the tool posted earlier will not work to remove or install that clamp. What you need to do is this, grab a thin blade screwdriver and try to get it under the clamp crimp point, from there work it downwards towards the front/right (according to the pic), as you work your way down it should release the tab that locks the clamp in place, from there it will fold up and come right off.
If you look close you will see some holes in the overlap of the clamp, there are fingers on the backside that fall into the holes, and once in place, the crimp is tightened and pulls it together for good.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That clamp is similar to an old CV boot clamp, they are not reusable and the tool posted earlier will not work to remove or install that clamp. What you need to do is this, grab a thin blade screwdriver and try to get it under the clamp crimp point, from there work it downwards towards the front/right (according to the pic), as you work your way down it should release the tab that locks the clamp in place, from there it will fold up and come right off.
If you look close you will see some holes in the overlap of the clamp, there are fingers on the backside that fall into the holes, and once in place, the crimp is tightened and pulls it together for good.
Thanks. I was prying it the wrong way. Also, rather timidly since this is prying against a very flimsy plastic nipple. However, I did manage to get it off now. It took 2 different size screwdrivers (very small to start, larger to finish) and bending a little at a time from each side. Thanks again.

If I post a picture of the top of the engine with the cover removed are you willing to play a game of "name that part"? I presume I am not the only person with some curiosity.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lol, sure go for it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Oh fun, an AlfaTech quiz, can't wait to see the results.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Pop quiz too, I didn’t even study.....

Edit: Since the intent here is to help others identify under hood components, maybe “name that part” deserves its own thread or maybe even a sticky? Not that I wanna be tested and graded by everyone, but I don’t mind, lol.

Reactions: LoCoRob

·
Registered
573 Posts
Pop quiz too, I didn’t even study.....

Edit: Since the intent here is to help others identify under hood components, maybe “name that part” deserves its own thread or maybe even a sticky? Not that I wanna be tested and graded by everyone, but I don’t mind, lol.
I would also be inerested to see how some of us "gear heads" stack up.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is what I see from the top. I'm sure that from underneath there are more mysteries, maybe I will take some pictures when I have the panels off for oil change.

I'm not sure of the order of presentation of these pictures, so please bear with me.

engine1.jpg is an overview of the top of the engine. The front of the cam cover is easy to pick out. Just behind it is a mystery box with FCA written on top--perhaps an ignition coil? There are 3 of these readily visible in the picture. To the left of the rear most one (viewer's right) there is a box with some hoses going to it (what is it?) and on the other side there is some electric part/sensor and even further over 2 fairly large mystery parts. The engine compressed intake line is obvious through the middle of the picture. It has 2 large sensors screwed into it--what are those? Note how there is a shield of some kind laid over the top of the engine, covering yet another layer of who-knows what. It looks like a lot of disassembly would be required to see what is under it. Also note the white (probably yellow and just overexposed in the picture) cable that is clipped to the top of the turbo heat shield.

engine2.jpg
Shows the loose foam padding underneath the plastic shield on the right side of the engine (viewer's left). Is it supposed to be like that?

engine3.jpg
Shows with left rear of the engine. Looking past the 2 airconditioner lines note the larger diameter metal line beneath them (high temp coolant circuit?), the mystery cable and the sensor coming from heat shielded exhaust parts. I think the black thing in the upper right of the picture is the upper part of the brake-by-wire system

engine4.jpg
Not the best view of a mystery box somewhat left and in front of the engine. My guess is low temperature coolant pump (electric).

engine5.jpg
Large electric connector to the right of the engine, connecting to a very large metal box that is mounted to the right side shock tower. ECU? Also note some kind of device with hoses and wires at the lower right of the image.

I also observe that AR often chose "overkill" fasteners to hold relatively light weight parts in place. There seems to be plenty of ways to save a little weight here and there.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
These are the coil packs, they're identical to the ones in my Golf GTI.

Most probably made by BERU, BOSCH, or BorgWarner.

Spark plugs are underneath these; #2 looks like it will be a small fuss to get out since it's underneath what appears to be the fuel rail.

The ECU is shown in the first photo, probably made by Continental AS.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Here is what I see from the top. I'm sure that from underneath there are more mysteries, maybe I will take some pictures when I have the panels off for oil change.

I'm not sure of the order of presentation of these pictures, so please bear with me.

engine1.jpg is an overview of the top of the engine. The front of the cam cover is easy to pick out. Just behind it is a mystery box with FCA written on top--perhaps an ignition coil? There are 3 of these readily visible in the picture. To the left of the rear most one (viewer's right) there is a box with some hoses going to it (what is it?) and on the other side there is some electric part/sensor and even further over 2 fairly large mystery parts. The engine compressed intake line is obvious through the middle of the picture. It has 2 large sensors screwed into it--what are those? Note how there is a shield of some kind laid over the top of the engine, covering yet another layer of who-knows what. It looks like a lot of disassembly would be required to see what is under it. Also note the white (probably yellow and just overexposed in the picture) cable that is clipped to the top of the turbo heat shield.
Yes those are ignition coils.
Box on either side with hoses are likely pcv or evaporative emissions, would need to see a clearer psi if there they go, it I can look on a car in stock when I get one in.
Sensors appear to be 02 or possible air/fuel ratio.
engine2.jpg
Shows the loose foam padding underneath the plastic shield on the right side of the engine (viewer's left). Is it supposed to be like that?
Yes, that’s fine
engine3.jpg
Shows with left rear of the engine. Looking past the 2 airconditioner lines note the larger diameter metal line beneath them (high temp coolant circuit?), the mystery cable and the sensor coming from heat shielded exhaust parts. I think the black thing in the upper right of the picture is the upper part of the brake-by-wire system
Yes, coolant hose, will be high temp so don’t touch it. Black part in upper right is going to the abs module, likely also called brake by wire module, I’ll check into it.
engine4.jpg
Not the best view of a mystery box somewhat left and in front of the engine. My guess is low temperature coolant pump (electric).
Yes, electric coolant circulation pump
engine5.jpg
Large electric connector to the right of the engine, connecting to a very large metal box that is mounted to the right side shock tower. ECU? Also note some kind of device with hoses and wires at the lower right of the image.
Yes ecm, electronic control module.
I also observe that AR often chose "overkill" fasteners to hold relatively light weight parts in place. There seems to be plenty of ways to save a little weight here and there.
Yes, they use stupid clamps, the one in “engine 4”on the electric coolant pump is what I call “steel tie strap”, they suck and cannot be removed without cutting, also a new one cannot be installed without some magic tool I do not have.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
There you go. Great pics. Thanks to the Alfa guys. And **** them and their silly clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Application is strange as well, like some are crimp fit, some are steel tie straps, some are the “three way” clamps, which are re-useable but need a special tool, and on the Guilias I’ve seen, they have a nice screw clamp on the intake tubes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts