Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't comfortable with the "run flat" issue, so I purchased an additional tire and rim (and a jack) from Alfa. It occupies the trunk space (I had nothing in there anyway!). Expensive option, but in case I'm in "blowtorch US, I don't have to worry about run flats.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
How do you secure it?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I wasn't comfortable with the "run flat" issue, so I purchased an additional tire and rim (and a jack) from Alfa. It occupies the trunk space (I had nothing in there anyway!). Expensive option, but in case I'm in "blowtorch US, I don't have to worry about run flats.
Where did you buy all this? How much? Any particular link? I am thinking of switching to non RFT and would explore this option for sure

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
I too would like to know place of purchase plus price.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I am currently checking to see if the compact spare from the Stelvio can be made to work on the Giulia. It's an 18" alloy wheel.

I know that this will not work on QV models due to brake clearance issues. But for all 2.0T models this may be a nice, bolt-in solution, including the tray.

I will report back after I complete some more measurements.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Joe thanks for checking on Stelvio option....I have a feeling that Stelvio might have a bit more room under the trunk cover and this may not fit into Giulia but would be fantasticaly clean solution if it does...looking forward to see what you find out

·
Registered
407 Posts
whats underneath that trunk liner anyways?

most of my past cars had additional space under there. the Giulia seems to just have a huge styrofoam block. any chance we could pull that out to make some extra space back there?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Best way to find out what’s under the trunk liner, take it out :smile2:

And although I don’t have a photo from underneath, the rear axle and suspension sit directly under the floor closer to the front. And the muffler, if you still have one, sits right under the floor at the back. Which is why that bit of floor gets so hot. So we are never going to fit a spare under the floor of the Giulia, not that I wouldn’t like to.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Lookit that spring. I thought most trunks these days use struts or torsion bars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cost of the spare tire and rim was about 700 (from the Alfa dealer). The jack stand and jack were also purchased from the dealer and cost about 120-130. The full tire spare and rim could be electronically set so there is no problem with the air pressure indicators.

I mentioned it was expensive, but............

Also, the jack has a soldered (??) fitting that inserts into an opening at the Giulia jack point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is the runflat issue?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Best way to find out what’s under the trunk liner, take it out :smile2:

And although I don’t have a photo from underneath, the rear axle and suspension sit directly under the floor closer to the front. And the muffler, if you still have one, sits right under the floor at the back. Which is why that bit of floor gets so hot. So we are never going to fit a spare under the floor of the Giulia, not that I wouldn’t like to.
Right, although is does look like it will fit on the floor of the truck. That would cost some precious trunk space; maybe an acceptable option for some people? To make it practical one needs a spacer that surrounds the wheel and a trunk floor that fits on top of that.

Stelvio is a hatch back, so the consequence of having a higher trunk floor is not as bad.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
So we are never going to fit a spare under the floor of the Giulia, not that I wouldn’t like to.
That's exactly what I found today when I pulled things apart - of course AFTER I spent a bunch of time measuring the tray on the Stelvio >:)

So the compact spare is still a viable option but there is no way the entire package (spare, tray, jack, inflator, etc.) will fit in the Giulia.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Lookit that spring. I thought most trunks these days use struts or torsion bars.
I wonder if they can be replicated in titanium to save weight? I would think they are more difficult to do than compression springs.

Can anyone else read page 2 of this thread? I just get junk.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
There is a strut on the left side of the car. Mine was replaced the other day.
Spring and strut? I've never seen that before. I'll take a look later today.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
AUdis have same setup, spring for opening force, strut for movement damping.....I guess some special struts have spring built into it...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts