Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a picture on another forum of a Stelvio optional spare tire/wheel w an included compressor being available. Any comments on this possibility?

·
Registered
537 Posts
For a Giulia? Possible I suppose but not that I’ve heard.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Video or it didn't happen. ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
We did the measurements and the compact spare from the Stelvio (complete with the tray and compressor) would not fit. The space below the trunk floor is taken up the Giulia, whereas it is empty on the Stelvio. You could use the 18" compact spare and it would fit in the trunk a little better than a stock Giulia wheel when it's deflated.

However, I think the biggest problem with using the Stelvio spare on a Giulia would be the sizing - the Stelvio wheel and tire package is a lot taller overall. The difference between the Stelvio spare tire (195/70-18) at 28.7" diameter and the Giulia tire size (base wheel/tire combo with 225/45-18) at 26.0" is huge, and I definitely think it might rub.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
~26" OD is certainly mandatory for Giulia. ESC, traction control, and LSD/torque vectoring differential will all scream and yell if the tires are not very close to the same diameter.

Folding spare tires exist and apparently make it easier to have a full size spare in a small space. Finding a wheel that will work with an appropriate and available size folding tire could be a big problem. From what I can find on line it seems that these are all custom made for each vehicle manufacturer that uses them (Porsche, Honda, any others?).

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
It’s a great idea but I have no clue how they could make that work on the current design.
From the pictures online of the Porsche design, this should allow a ~22" diameter donut (collapsed) to be used, at least for the 4 cylinder models. I have no idea if that is small enough to fit in a reshaped insert beneath the floor. Of course these also require a pump or gas canister to inflate the tire before any weight can be put on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We did the measurements and the compact spare from the Stelvio (complete with the tray and compressor) would not fit. The space below the trunk floor is taken up the Giulia, whereas it is empty on the Stelvio. You could use the 18" compact spare and it would fit in the trunk a little better than a stock Giulia wheel when it's deflated.

However, I think the biggest problem with using the Stelvio spare on a Giulia would be the sizing - the Stelvio wheel and tire package is a lot taller overall. The difference between the Stelvio spare tire (195/70-18) at 28.7" diameter and the Giulia tire size (base wheel/tire combo with 225/45-18) at 26.0" is huge, and I definitely think it might rub.
The Spare wheel of the Stelvio is indeed too big for the Giulia!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone know for the Stelvio compact spare, does the tech need to cut a larger opening to allow for the compact spare (as I believe is the case in the MY17 Volvo S60)? Or is not metal cutting required and there is a way to lover the battery and have the compact spare fit in in a specially designed foam tray? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
A while back @MacGeek reported that (some?) Israeli specification Giulias have a spare tire. However, he also reported that it pretty much takes up the entire trunk.

If you really want a spare in Giulia, get a whole wheel/tire, put it in a clean wheel bag, then strap it into one of the outside rear passenger seats with the seat belt. You might need to punch holes in the wheel bag to thread the seat belt through. Alternatively use the child seat anchors and make your own tie down straps. Of course, then you have a 3 passenger car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
530 Posts
Don't forget a jack!

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Don't forget a jack!
Ditto that. If you have 17" wheels with non-run flat tires the car will be sitting on the ground, so the jack might be a "good luck with that" situation.

With 19" wheels and non-RFTs the car won't be on the ground (unless it has been lowered), but it will be close. Another use for some means to raise the suspension-- ala Citroen. "Standard advice" for dealing with this situation is to jack up the nearest corner that does not have a flat high enough that you can get another jack underneath the corner with the flat. Sounds reasonable, but requires 2 jacks, wheel chocks and nerves of steel.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia TI
4 Posts
Just received and evaluated K.O.M. SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL AND TYRE KIT FROM Tyremen.co.uk.
"K.O.M space saver spare wheel and tyre kits are an Italian made aluminium wheel fitted with either Uniroyal or Continental tyres however this will depend on application. But don’t worry if your kit has not got a Continental tyre fitted as Uniroyal is made by Continental using the very same technology which ensures quality. Accompanying the 4" wide wheel and tyre, will be a 1.5 or 2 Tonne scissor Jack, Wheel Brace, bolts/nuts if needed and a Tidy Bag which will keep this neat and tidy when in the boot. The K.O.M Kit will be delivered in one box ready to be used when needed."
Includes lug wrench also. Tested lug nut removal and actual jack operation. All seemed good. Mounted tire itself is about 25" diameter and 5" wide after inflation. Tidybag is spacious and easy to fit. See attached photos.
Had to order on ebay.co.uk as Tyremen web site had troubles processing an order from the states. About $350 after $90 shipping.
Live in Arizona and we have lots of wide open space where no cell phone service is available, this makes me more comfortable.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Wheel Rim Vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system Car Aircraft Trunk Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
OEM Giulia tires are just over 26 inches in diameter. Are you sure this spare is 25"? Can that jack get under the car when the adjacent tire is flat?

·
Registered
2017 Giulia TI
4 Posts
OEM Giulia tires are just over 26 inches in diameter. Are you sure this spare is 25"? Can that jack get under the car when the adjacent tire is flat?
Measured it myself, possibly rounded to nearest 1/2". Jack can be an issue, Previous experience with low clearance cars having flat tires has necessitated parking where ground is is soft enough to create a divot or depression to slip the jack into for clearance. Can be nuisance, but has always been doable.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just received and evaluated K.O.M. SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL AND TYRE KIT FROM Tyremen.co.uk.
"K.O.M space saver spare wheel and tyre kits are an Italian made aluminium wheel fitted with either Uniroyal or Continental tyres however this will depend on application. But don’t worry if your kit has not got a Continental tyre fitted as Uniroyal is made by Continental using the very same technology which ensures quality. Accompanying the 4" wide wheel and tyre, will be a 1.5 or 2 Tonne scissor Jack, Wheel Brace, bolts/nuts if needed and a Tidy Bag which will keep this neat and tidy when in the boot. The K.O.M Kit will be delivered in one box ready to be used when needed."
Includes lug wrench also. Tested lug nut removal and actual jack operation. All seemed good. Mounted tire itself is about 25" diameter and 5" wide after inflation. Tidybag is spacious and easy to fit. See attached photos.
Had to order on ebay.co.uk as Tyremen web site had troubles processing an order from the states. About $350 after $90 shipping.
Live in Arizona and we have lots of wide open space where no cell phone service is available, this makes me more comfortable.

View attachment 96682 View attachment 96683 View attachment 96685 View attachment 96686
Sorry if I missed it, but did you actually mount it on the front and back to see if it fits? Sounds like good idea, thanks for posting

·
Registered
2017 Giulia TI
4 Posts
Sorry if I missed it, but did you actually mount it on the front and back to see if it fits? Sounds like good idea, thanks for posting
No, I did not take off an entire wheel and check, but things measured to be accurate. If you visit the web site you can see that they have different options (wheels are made in Italy, so maybe they are familiar with Alfas). When ordering
you indicate your make and model.They show different spares to fit 17" and 18" set ups.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thanks. I would just be more concerned with clearing the brakes, which for the US market while standard are the 'larger' brakes in comparison to standard equipment in foreign markets such as Italy ... regarding the 4-cyl models. I'll take a look

1 - 20 of 22 Posts