Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new to me 2017 QV....5k miles from previous owner. I've yet to take delivery but one question I had is what is supposed to be in the trunk storage area? I saw some road hazard items and an air compressor still in shrink wrap. The salesman said no spare as the car has runflats. But I've read elsewhere the Pirelleis are not run flats. So is there supposed to be a jack or spare or are the tires run flats?

TIA

·
Registered
630 Posts
No Giulias come with a full-size spare tire or jack. Quadrifoglio models have a can of tire sealant and a small electric tire inflator. Base and Ti models have run-flats and don't come with anything in the trunk other than a tow hook.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You!!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,635 Posts
Something to keep in mind is how you intend to jack up a car that has 5" of ground clearance normally but is sitting on a flat tire that has dropped the vehicle by another 2.5-3" or so (more if you have 17" wheels. A few portable jacks will collapse to 3" high; a web search does not turn up anything lower.

You might need to carry some blocks to drive onto (assuming the car will let you move) to lift the car up enough to be able to get a jack under the jacking point.

The QV solution might make the most sense: carry a flat fix kit and call for help if that does not work.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
There are also those exhaust jack bags like the Titan or Bushranger. They’re basically flat before you connect them to a tailpipe to inflate, so they should slip under a Giulia/QV.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,948 Posts
Lots of high end cars don't have spares. I've been stranded a few times before with a flat. Part of the life of owning a performance car, but it's worth it imo

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
having had a flat recently in my QV, fortunately close to home, pulled onto a side street, had my wife bring my my jack, took the rim/tire to my local Discount tire, where they ordered a warranty replacement, then took the flat back to the car, remounted it, and slowly drove the mile home. Soon back on the road. I made up a foot long block of two 2X6's painted black kept in a grocery bag in my trunk so a jack can get under my car. I really don't want to use the fix-a-flat if I have an alternative.

We have two other cars without spares. Saves space and weight and cost in manufacture.

All the best... NV

·
Banned
390 Posts
Haha...do the words pragmatic, practical or convenience mean anything anymore In today’s spaceship like tech cars??
perhaps just a spare tire, tire changer and balancer in the trunk Is the way to travel???🥴🥴🥴🤣🤣😳😳 progress they say???😮☹😐

·
Registered
630 Posts
Haha...do the words pragmatic, practical or convenience mean anything anymore In today’s spaceship like tech cars??
perhaps just a spare tire, tire changer and balancer in the trunk Is the way to travel??? progress they say???
Your pragmatic is another person’s wasteful. No spare tire is par for the course these days. Is this your first new car in a while? Make your choice and be happy with it. An Alfa Romeo is towards the less practical end of the new car spectrum and the convenience of changing a flat tire yourself depends entirely on the circumstances. If it bothers you so much then simply buy a spare tire, jack and tool kit and carry it around with you, taking up half of your trunk space on the off chance you get a flat.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Your pragmatic is another person’s wasteful. No spare tire is par for the course these days. Is this your first new car in a while? Make your choice and be happy with it. An Alfa Romeo is towards the less practical end of the new car spectrum and the convenience of changing a flat tire yourself depends entirely on the circumstances. If it bothers you so much then simply buy a spare tire, jack and tool kit and carry it around with you, taking up half of your trunk space on the off chance you get a flat.
Hmmm. Let’s see..been driving Alfa’s, BMW and Mercedes for 42 years now..2 Audi’s too..
worked in the car biz for 36 years.....
The thought of taking a road trip with hundreds of miles between something and nothing and having a flat tire completely derail things is disturbingly disturbing to me!!! The Alfa is my mid fun car.. My E350 will need to be my road trip vehicle as it’s all around a “better” ride IMO.
For the track.....this suffices...no spare, compressor,,, ,jack, lug wrench fix a flat Whatev
To each their own I say!!
BTW...after not having a flat in years, I’ve had 3 in the past year!! Crappy roads and debris and bad luck have pricked my ears!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.