Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In calling around to different dealers in search of a Quadrofoglio, the conversations and first impressions were, let's say, "interesting".

Let's establish a baseline for Alfa Romeo brand. Is it not a step above Fiat and Chrysler? This is somewhat of a subjective question. Though, from price-point alone, the Alfa brand, to me, deserves more specialized attention. Alfa has offered a ton of support to dealers thus far with sales training and the recent New Orleans hands-on high-performance driving event and so forth.

Though, the point that I am trying to make is the first impression. First calls to dealers were somewhat futile. Whoever answered the phone was not at the same building as the Alfa division every time. Most of the Alfa dealers are shoe-horned into existing Fiat buildings and so forth. Most of the dealers that I called had multiple brands andmultiple locations. Often times the "Alfa Romeo main number" did not dial to the specific Alfa dealership.

Once the calls are routed to the proper dealership location, the people answering the phones have been on drone mode.

Operator: "Alfa WHAT?"

Looking to spend $80k: "Yes, there is a new Quadrofoglio car, do you have one?"

"Umm, I'm not sure, Let me connect you with someone in sales"

I realize that the cars are relatively new to market. However, the front end of the dealer businesses are 2 steps behind the curve.

Phone calls regarding the Alfa Romeo brand should be handled more accurately and be directed more specifically to the right sales person. Seriously, I was zero for 5 for a positive 1st impression phone call to any dealer. Two of those dealer calls were made more than once to try to get to the Alfa people. It was easy to accidentally reach Chrysler or Fiat locations which their main numbers were actually aggregated and listed as the Alfa main dealer phone number.

Calling on a $15k Abarth is a different level of expectation, I think? In my opinion, the customer service skills should be on higher alert when someone says "Alfa Romeo Sales" or "Alfa Romeo Service". I realize the brand is trying to make waves and gain market share. Though, this one point about 1st impressions is quite important.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more. From the experiences I've had, first when considering a 4C and now a QV, I'm concerned about what my aftersales experience will amount to if/when I pull the trigger. Honestly, I've gotten more knowledgeable and approachable sales staff when I was shopping for my Toyota let alone my BMW or Merc.

I'm not sure whether it really matters where the Alfa dealer is housed (Maserati vs Jeep vs Fiat) as there seems to be little interest in building the Alfa brand. For example, one of my Alfa dealers is housed in a Fiat dealership and they basically are using the Alfa vehicles as window dressing/foot traffic generators. The level of service, communication, and knowledge is on par with that brand and unfortunately there is a serious lack of interpersonal skills outside of answering yes/no questions with no interest in having a conversation unless it involves talking about rarity of Alfa inventory, price, and "market adjustments". A second dealer is housed in a Maserati dealership and their service is a little better and they'll at least engage with you, but I get the sense they view Alfa as the unwanted stepchild and just want to be moving more Ghiblis and Quattroportes.

I seriously hope that I've just had isolated poor experiences and that FCA is committed to their US return and building a true dealer network for Alfa. I've always been enamored with Alfas of old and hope the new regime can build up the brand in a way that makes me want to step foot into their dealerships.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In calling around to different dealers in search of a Quadrofoglio, the conversations and first impressions were, let's say, "interesting".

Let's establish a baseline for Alfa Romeo brand. Is it not a step above Fiat and Chrysler? This is somewhat of a subjective question. Though, from price-point alone, the Alfa brand, to me, deserves more specialized attention. Alfa has offered a ton of support to dealers thus far with sales training and the recent New Orleans hands-on high-performance driving event and so forth.

Though, the point that I am trying to make is the first impression. First calls to dealers were somewhat futile. Whoever answered the phone was not at the same building as the Alfa division every time. Most of the Alfa dealers are shoe-horned into existing Fiat buildings and so forth. Most of the dealers that I called had multiple brands andmultiple locations. Often times the "Alfa Romeo main number" did not dial to the specific Alfa dealership.

Once the calls are routed to the proper dealership location, the people answering the phones have been on drone mode.

Operator: "Alfa WHAT?"

Looking to spend $80k: "Yes, there is a new Quadrofoglio car, do you have one?"

"Umm, I'm not sure, Let me connect you with someone in sales"

I realize that the cars are relatively new to market. However, the front end of the dealer businesses are 2 steps behind the curve.

Phone calls regarding the Alfa Romeo brand should be handled more accurately and be directed more specifically to the right sales person. Seriously, I was zero for 5 for a positive 1st impression phone call to any dealer. Two of those dealer calls were made more than once to try to get to the Alfa people. It was easy to accidentally reach Chrysler or Fiat locations which their main numbers were actually aggregated and listed as the Alfa main dealer phone number.

Calling on a $15k Abarth is a different level of expectation, I think? In my opinion, the customer service skills should be on higher alert when someone says "Alfa Romeo Sales" or "Alfa Romeo Service". I realize the brand is trying to make waves and gain market share. Though, this one point about 1st impressions is quite important.
Definitely an issue, this was only the first wave of the training event it's spread out this month. I went to the first two days it was available. I had a similar experience when trying to call dealers to see if I could buy there QV's even at MSRP, it was interesting to say the least. The majority of Alfa call's into our store are sent to me to try to avoid experiences like this.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely an issue, this was only the first wave of the training event it's spread out this month. I went to the first two days it was available. I had a similar experience when trying to call dealers to see if I could buy there QV's even at MSRP, it was interesting to say the least. The majority of Alfa call's into our store are sent to me to try to avoid experiences like this.
Excellent. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more. From the experiences I've had, first when considering a 4C and now a QV, I'm concerned about what my aftersales experience will amount to if/when I pull the trigger. Honestly, I've gotten more knowledgeable and approachable sales staff when I was shopping for my Toyota let alone my BMW or Merc.

I'm not sure whether it really matters where the Alfa dealer is housed (Maserati vs Jeep vs Fiat) as there seems to be little interest in building the Alfa brand. For example, one of my Alfa dealers is housed in a Fiat dealership and they basically are using the Alfa vehicles as window dressing/foot traffic generators. The level of service, communication, and knowledge is on par with that brand and unfortunately there is a serious lack of interpersonal skills outside of answering yes/no questions with no interest in having a conversation unless it involves talking about rarity of Alfa inventory, price, and "market adjustments". A second dealer is housed in a Maserati dealership and their service is a little better and they'll at least engage with you, but I get the sense they view Alfa as the unwanted stepchild and just want to be moving more Ghiblis and Quattroportes.

I seriously hope that I've just had isolated poor experiences and that FCA is committed to their US return and building a true dealer network for Alfa. I've always been enamored with Alfas of old and hope the new regime can build up the brand in a way that makes me want to step foot into their dealerships.
FCA is decidedly behind it. The focus has been on the car and is now shifting to the dealer network as the Giulia and Giulia Ti models are about to start arriving in volume.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a chance to voice your concerns to FCA, one of the "quick fixes" that I would recommend is to have Alfa Romeo "Dealer" listings on the Alfa website include the DIRECT phone number to the actual Alfa Romeo location.

It was laughable during one of my calls (to a large conglomerate of family owned dealerships) when the operator said, "hmm, I didn't know we had Alfa Romeo". I mentioned that their name was clearly on the Alfa Romeo website so I hoped that the information was correct.

Of note, the main # listed for that dealer was not a 1-800 number or anything special. It was a phone number at a Chrysler location that was seemingly deemed their HQ. The call was answered, "Thank you for calling xxxxx,Chrysler and xxxx, etc" No mention of Alfa Romeo whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Word has it that they were a dealer. Now they are not. PM sent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts