Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried talking to an Alfa salesman at santa monca Alfa Romeo about a Giulia QV they have on their website.. I simply asked "do you have this car on the lot?" I then provide them with the VIN and stock # of the car... Instead of answering my question, the salesman keeps saying when can I schedule you to come in? i keep asking him if the car is there and he avoids my question over and over again. After my fourth time asking him if that specific car is on the lot he says this:

"I certainly understand, and what I can do is I can tentatively schedule you to come in Saturday at 11:30 am pending the details discussed on the Giulia's are to your liking. If anything changes you can feel free to call us and reschedule. Does that sound like a plan?"

I also tried calling them directly and was met with the same kind of tactic. "oh we might have it, you should come on down and take a look at the other ones we have here!" Unbelievable..

This dealership has officially lost my business. Unbelievable sales tactics, can't even tell me if they have something on the lot or not. Where did Alfa train their sales team? Its as if they played a youtube video of the most cliche car sales tactics and say here you go, this is how its done.

If anyone lives in southern california, avoid this dealership at all costs

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
Sounds like old school meets no school.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
After I hung up they emailed me saying oh yes we do have it. and sent me all the information.. lol
I'm surprised you gave them your email address.

·
Registered
334 Posts
And the logic they use is fantastic......Wouldn't they get better results if they just said "Yes, we have that car, come on down and see it" ?? Rather than try and set up an appointment without telling you if the car was there or not ?? Genuises .....

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
and you could say the same thing about almost ANY other marque salesforce...
___________fill in the blank are absolute trash.....

so just go to another dealer if you can...life too short to get bent out of shape over that :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
My experience with Doug Friedman and Paul Mezzacapo at Ganley Alfa Romeo of Bedford Ohio was the opposite of yours. They were excellent in every respect. Sorry you had a single bad experience but you dont need to trash the entire Alfa sales force because you had one bad interaction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My experience with Doug Friedman and Paul Mezzacapo at Ganley Alfa Romeo of Bedford Ohio was the opposite of yours. They were excellent in every respect. Sorry you had a single bad experience but you dont need to trash the entire Alfa sales force because you had one bad interaction.
Same for me: the guys at Alfa Romeo St. Louis Park, MN were GREAT, placing my order and with no pressure at all. They handled all documents and I went to pick my car and left in one hour. Agree that trashing all Alfa sales force is not right. And, as MDriver said, this happens with ALL brands.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah terrible tactics but kinda harsh to paint all Alfa salespeople with such a broad brush. My sales guy was super low pressure and I bought the car with a couple of emails and phone calls and that was it. Only thing I can think of is he car you were interested might have been promised to another customer or might be configured in a way that will sell easy so they want to push other ones and he thought it would be better than lying tonget you in the showroom and saying it was sold. That would be more likely to piss off a customer to his/her face. In any event any sales strategy where the customer is interested in something you got on your lot that doesn’t jump ASAP to “yeah we have it right here why don’t you come right down and check it out, I’d be happy to show you!” is asinine and self defeating. Just stupid...

·
Registered
296 Posts
This thread should be renamed - not all Alfa sale men are trash

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Can a moderator change the thread title?

For the record, I consider my sales experience nominal. Not great, not bad. No "how do you like your car after one year?" contact merits a demerit.

·
Registered
317 Posts
...or we could title this "the ineptitudes of some Alfa sales force"
When I was shopping the QV I had done hours of reading. I had already had test-drives in the new Panamera, Maserati, etc without problem. My local dealer had 6 QVs (2 were 2017s) and basically said no one can test-drive them. They were initially stating I would need to be purchasing or a down-deposit or something of the like. I couldn't believe it. I just test-drove cars with stickers $20K more, and they saw me pull up in a 911 with a sticker of $130K originally and were acting DUM! (misspelled on purpose).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
My Salesgirl was great. She has helped me greatly in the year since I got the car. I have never had better treatment from a sales person.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Seems to be a pattern in this forum lately....A person has a bad experience with a service department, dealer or their car, and suddenly it becomes an indictment on the entire brand. I'm tired of it.

My own sales experience was terrible. I offered X amount and was told no way, only to check online 2 days later, and found the same dealer had lowered the price BELOW what I offered. I get that inventory, dealer incentives, etc. kick in all the time, but they had my info and my interest, so no return phone call after the price drop was almost a deal breaker. Fortunately, the sales manager stepped in and lowered it even further due to the miscommunication and now I'm a happy owner of a QV. But with or without a successful sale, it wouldn't have dissuaded me from Alfa Romeo because of one lax dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with that dealer and salesperson.

I too had a bad experience with the first dealer/sales manager I visited. Simple - they lost the sale. I went to a different dealer and had a wonderful experience there. It was a 1.5 hour drive, so I sent an email ahead of time to confirm they had the car. When I arrived, the car was all prepped and ready to go and the transaction was the best I have experienced.

Bottom line is all dealers and sales people are not the same. Try another dealer.

Ray

·
Registered
240 Posts
It is silly to talk about "the Alfa sales force." These people don't work for Alfa, they work for the dealers. Unfortunately, it seems Alfa dealers and their employees are a somewhat uneven lot. Uneven describes my lease experience. The salesman I dealt with initially did not understand the deal I negotiated with his manager and never followed up or followed through on anything. I got the sense he was having some personal problems at home that were interfering with his work. Just as I was about to walk, they put "the new kid" on the case. He was highly motivated and went above and beyond to close the deal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I talked to sales people at three Alfa dealers -- Criswell Alfa Romeo Germantown MD, Heritage Alfa Romeo Owing Mills MD, and Johnson Alfa Romeo Annapolis MD -- and they were all great; very helpful and no pressure at all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
A lot of the Alfa sales personnel (with one exception at the dealer I work with) have the following traits (this is an Alfa/Dodge/Jeep dealer):

1. Know nothing about the vehicle itself, what options are available, or anything about competitive vehicles. Nor do they have an interest in finding this infomration out. When I inquired about the cost of the 30K maintance because of the spark plug replacement, the response was, "they don't replace the spark plugs at 30K." I said, "check the manual," (I know, it's hard to read the manual when you sell 3 models of cars). "Oh, wow, let me check this." Just a totally careless attitude.
2. Offer an insultingly high price.
3. Were former Dodge/Jeep salespersons and use some sleazy Chrysler selling tactics.

This is why you should enjoy your Alfa now. It's not staying. The cars right now sell themselves (they would sell more with competent people, but that's asking too much of FCA). Wait till you see the numbers of people who will go back. It's going to be very very low.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts