Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up moving on from my QV for few different reasons. First and foremost was my local dealer’s service department. They never had loaners and just seems to give me the run around with every small issue. Luckily I did not experience any major issues.

Last week my check engine light came on for diverted valve, that’s a very common issue. I called to setup an appointment and told my SA the issue and sent him the code I pulled. First thing he asks me is if I am tuned. I said absolutely not, weird question but ok. To be completely honest, I have never tuned my car, never even used a piggyback. Nothing!

Get to the dealer, by this time the check engine light went away. They should be able to pull the stored code. Which they did. Get this, they can’t do anything because code is not active? What? Then he proceeds to ask me a few more times if I am tuned.... I again said, absolutely not. Then he mentions something about screws on the ECU or something, I told him to plug the car in and let’s get Alfa on the phone and dig into the ECU. I Told him that I guarantee you that this car’s ECU has never been touched by me.

IMO, since my car was lowered, they automatically assumed that it must be tuned. He mentioned another QV with an engine problem in their service department, and since that guy has an exhaust they may not be able to do much. I said WHAT! This is crazy!!!!

I just cannot deal with Alfa’s lack of service and my local dealer. My SA is a nice guy and tries to help but he keeps telling me that he can’t do much and it’s Alfa.

Other reasons why I moved on. Lack of service and trust in the service department to do the right thing being the biggest reason.

• Car continues to lose value at an astonishing rate
  • lack of tech was starting to bother me just a little
  • lack of luxury, same as above
I hope Alfa fixes these issues. But never again for me. They’ve lost a customer for life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
658 Posts
I hope Alfa fixes these issues. But never again for me. They’ve lost a customer for life.

Sorry to hear this and I understand. For me, these are non-issues. I don't plan on selling my car and so value loss is inconsequential. I don't care about tech because I drive the car and the tech that is there is more than sufficient to make the driving experience excellent. The thrill of driving outweighs wireless chargers and touchscreens. Last, I don't find the car lacking in luxury but I get it. For the price you paid for the QV, I'd expect a lot. On your primary point, your dealer sucks and that's important. It's my opinion that over time this will get better but I understand.

Best wishes to you. I hope you find your dream car!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear this and I understand. For me, these are non-issues. I don't plan on selling my car and so value loss is inconsequential. I don't care about tech because I drive the car and the tech that is there is more than sufficient to make the driving experience excellent. The thrill of driving outweighs wireless chargers and touchscreens. Last, I don't find the car lacking in luxury but I get it. For the price you paid for the QV, I'd expect a lot. On your primary point, your dealer sucks and that's important. It's my opinion that over time this will get better but I understand.

Best wishes to you. I hope you find your dream car!
Last 2 points were very minor and I knew going in that would be the case. Driving experience more than made up for it. I believe the facelift fixes some of those things.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sad to see you go. I definitely understand all the reasons you give. Before my Alfa I owned a GTI which I had tuned. Long story short, VW brought out software and codes called "TD1" which looks for cars that have been tuned during service in order to avoid giving out warranties. I feel in the last 10 years VW/Audi has slightly turned the consumer into the enemy since tuning cars was once encourage as it showed off the brand to some extent. Every time I took my car to the dealer for service it was flagged as tuned (something that even flashing to stock wont fix) and it was a fight to get something covered by warranty. It's funny, I remember thinking at the time if this was going to be something all card brands would adopt. Maybe it's started for Alfa? Having said that, your service center should not have pressed you on the issue if you had already given them an answer.

I don't think these Alfa's will be investments, that's for sure. I hope you didn't lose out too much after selling.

Just out of curiosity, what did you trade it in for, if anything?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Although I have not experienced the same issues as Elitex, I cannot wait to move on from my QV.

There are issues which aggravate the hell out of me. The fact you cannot simply go WOT in the lower gears whilst in "N" or "D" modes, without some sort of Torque management, is just BS. Moreover, in Race mode, the PCM will literally pull back a significant amount of power if sensing too much wheel-spin. Requiring the driver to let completely off the throttle. Plain dumb.

Then there's the be all of Check Engine Lights, "Service Throttle...." It's one thing to trigger a code, but to disable anything but light throttle input is another grievance.

Counting the days.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I ended up moving on from my QV for few different reasons. First and foremost was my local dealer’s service department. They never had loaners and just seems to give me the run around with every small issue. Luckily I did not experience any major issues.

Last week my check engine light came on for diverted valve, that’s a very common issue. I called to setup an appointment and told my SA the issue and sent him the code I pulled. First thing he asks me is if I am tuned. I said absolutely not, weird question but ok. To be completely honest, I have never tuned my car, never even used a piggyback. Nothing!

Get to the dealer, by this time the check engine light went away. They should be able to pull the stored code. Which they did. Get this, they can’t do anything because code is not active? What? Then he proceeds to ask me a few more times if I am tuned.... I again said, absolutely not. Then he mentions something about screws on the ECU or something, I told him to plug the car in and let’s get Alfa on the phone and dig into the ECU. I Told him that I guarantee you that this car’s ECU has never been touched by me.

IMO, since my car was lowered, they automatically assumed that it must be tuned. He mentioned another QV with an engine problem in their service department, and since that guy has an exhaust they may not be able to do much. I said WHAT! This is crazy!!!!

I just cannot deal with Alfa’s lack of service and my local dealer. My SA is a nice guy and tries to help but he keeps telling me that he can’t do much and it’s Alfa.

Other reasons why I moved on. Lack of service and trust in the service department to do the right thing being the biggest reason.

dealer sounds like an asshole. Honestly most techs are car guys or at least they should be. Rare to get that tech who thinks he’s the FBI. He’s acting like he’s joe FCA or something. Typical small minded employee who is hurting his service departments bottom line by turning away work. He’s prolly responsible for misdiagnosing every Alfa that comes into his shop. Causing many unhappy customers. Terrible. I don’t blame you for dumping it but for those who have a competent tech it’s a great drivers car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like a crappy experience. Sorry to hear. I adore my QV and luckily the service department nearby is amazing.

Re tech, I struggle to understand this point though it gets consistently raised. I love driving this car so much I couldn’t give a shit less what tech it has. The fact that Apple car play works so well is just a bonus for me.

Re value, if you plan to sell the car, I feel for you. I purchased my QV with the intention of driving it and not selling it anytime in the foreseeable future. So I’ll be looking into extended warrantees to support that goal.

The point about torque management is valid. Once you get comfortable with this car in race mode it’s hard to drive in D, though I’d love to for the traction control.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Oh boy. Here we go, again. Please read the whole QV Length of Continuous Ownership post. Please read the whole 3 pages, 52 posts. That is probably more than 30 owners talking nothing but great things about the best car out there.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Oh boy. Here we go, again. Please read the whole QV Length of Continuous Ownership post. Please read the whole 3 pages, 52 posts. That is probably more than 30 owners talking nothing but great things about the best car out there.
There are only 30 total participants in that thread, many of which who do not own a QV, including yourself. Perhaps other QV owners, such as Elitex, dcpatters and myself, didn't want to spoil that group celebration for others? And at least 2 of the other posters in that thread had buyback offers on the table from AR at one point in their ownership....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a crappy experience. Sorry to hear. I adore my QV and luckily the service department nearby is amazing.

Re tech, I struggle to understand this point though it gets consistently raised. I love driving this car so much I couldn’t give a shit less what tech it has. The fact that Apple car play works so well is just a bonus for me.

Re value, if you plan to sell the car, I feel for you. I purchased my QV with the intention of driving it and not selling it anytime in the foreseeable future. So I’ll be looking into extended warrantees to support that goal.

The point about torque management is valid. Once you get comfortable with this car in race mode it’s hard to drive in D, though I’d love to for the traction control.
Plan was to buy extended warranty and keep it long term. Dealership service experience changed all of that.

Re tech. Yes, driving experience is great but I started daily driving mine. Better tech would be nice. To each his own. My lotus Evora 400 was even more bare in terms of tech but I didn’t daily it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great car, yes. Please read my original post again, slowly....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Plan was to buy extended warranty and keep it long term. Dealership service experience changed all of that.

Re tech. Yes, driving experience is great but I started daily driving mine. Better tech would be nice. To each his own. My lotus Evora 400 was even more bare in terms of tech but I didn’t daily it.

You should do what feels right. If my dealer sucked and I was having issues I’d be in similar shoes as you. End of the day it’s just a car. If the car’s promised “mechanics of emotion” are proving problematic and you can’t get help, you aren’t left with much of a choice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should do what feels right. If my dealer sucked and I was having issues I’d be in similar shoes as you. End of the day it’s just a car. If the car’s promised “mechanics of emotion” are proving problematic and you can’t get help, you aren’t left with much of a choice.
Exactly. Some of you are lucky with better dealers, or more than 1 dealer in town. Off to the next one.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Exactly. Some of you are lucky with better dealers, or more than 1 dealer in town. Off to the next one.
Yep. That is always the challenge when you buy a brand new car...the dealer really is a big part of the experience. In contrast to your experience, we have an amazing dealer here and my experience has been nothing but positive. I also have an amazing mechanic who I trust implicitly. When I get past the initial services, they know they need to start preparing their Italian knowledge.

·
Registered
5 Posts

not meaning to hi jack a thread........ funny you mentioned evora 400

i am trying to figure out my next car, it’s between a evora 400/GT or the Giulia GV.
obviously your QV experience isn’t so great however whats your opinion comparing those two cars? I assume you also sold your e400?

seems like a new leftover QV l Might be able to get for $55k or used for $40k+ vs probably $65-$90k for a E400 or closer to $100k for a GT. Is the Lotus worth the extra money?

i have no clue about my local Alfa dealer. The original dealer closed down and within the last year or so another dealer picked the line. i Am one who does like to modify cars so whatever I get will at least get a ECU tune.

the lack of tech in either car isn’t a issue for me, I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler after all! I want something fun and unique.... a drivers car which I believe both are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The code issue isn't a dealer problem, it's an FCA problem.

FCA won't pay the dealer for the repair unless it's an active code. Also, both you and your service advisor can agree there's an issue. Then the dealer has to get approval from FCA to perform the repair, which FCA may or may not.

I love my Giulia Q4. FCA on the other hand is a pain in the ass. They don't seem to realize that people don't bring their cars to the service department for fun. I've owned dozens of cars from many manufacturers. Have a problem? It gets fixed, and I'm not aware of any approval needed from a bean counter.

FCA really needs to get their act together regarding the customer experience when warranty repairs are required.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The code issue isn't a dealer problem, it's an FCA problem.

FCA won't pay the dealer for the repair unless it's an active code. Also, both you and your service advisor can agree there's an issue. Then the dealer has to get approval from FCA to perform the repair, which FCA may or may not.
Im curious as to where this information came from because I do not believe its accurate .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im curious as to where this information came from because I do not believe its accurate .
I've seen it personally- "We have to wait for approval to make the repair".

Also my car gave me a check engine light. Start/stop didn't work. Neither did remote start or my DNA selector. Then the light went away and everything worked. The car stored a code but the dealer couldn't fix it because the code wasn't active. FCA won't approve repairs on inactive codes.

A few days ago, the same problem popped up again. The dealer has the part (he says this is common) and can repair it as long as the check engine light is on when I arrive for my appointment.

They could have saved me another trip to the dealer when this happened the first time, but the bean counters won't permit it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've seen it personally- "We have to wait for approval to make the repair".

Also my car gave me a check engine light. Start/stop didn't work. Neither did remote start or my DNA selector. Then the light went away and everything worked. The car stored a code but the dealer couldn't fix it because the code wasn't active. FCA won't approve repairs on inactive codes.
This is either your individual dealer or an Alfa thing , its certainly not FCA policy .
Individual dealers who have a "bad reputation" with FCA will need to get all repairs approved...so this is not normal practice but it is a convenient excuse for a dealer to use.
as far as not repairing stored codes, if that were true, no one could ever get a small evap leak code repaired because that code will never be active on any FCA vehicle.
I will say that it's more difficult to repair many stored codes, but it's not impossible if your familiar with the system in question.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts