Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bunch of Q4s listed at the local Alfa dealer (10), and no RWD cars listed. I know I could probably order an RWD, but what's the Q4 like to drive (like it's an Alfa)? It's been fruitless so far to Google the car in a road test. Anyone got a link to a test?
thank you,
Flyby out

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is pretty much the only Q4-focused comparison test available at the moment. It appears that Giulia is holding out pretty nicely against competition.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
There's a bunch of Q4s listed at the local Alfa dealer (10), and no RWD cars listed. I know I could probably order an RWD, but what's the Q4 like to drive (like it's an Alfa)? It's been fruitless so far to Google the car in a road test. Anyone got a link to a test?
thank you,
Flyby out
I have driven a Giulia Ti AWD (Q4) with performance package (paddles) and it was fantastic. Only competitor I've driven (because it's my dad's daily car) is an Audi A4 quattro (2016) and I can tell you the Audi feels much heavier, much slower, slightly less agile, and overall more boring to drive. The Giulia has great handling, I would think the best in its class, and the column mounted paddles are really good fun. Shifts quickly, doesn't feel like a typical slow automatic at all. They've really done a great job I think.

Living in SW Ohio I don't know how the weather is there, but if there isn't a lot of snow you probably don't need the Q4. The Q4's AWD system is RWD all the time until it detects a loss of traction (by like 2.5% if I recall correctly) and then it has the ability to send up to 60% of the power to the front wheels if needed. I live in NH and it snows a lot and snow tires are always a must, so I am buying a Q4. The Q4 also has faster 0-60 by the way, by .2 seconds last time I checked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cptwie, thank you for the video link. It was very informative. Not sure how I missed it.

Max, where I live it's been a pretty light winter, probably less than 10 inches total snow to date. But about 10 years ago I had to get my wife to the hospital at 6:30:am for scheduled surgery. It had snowed heavily earlier in the morning, and the streets weren't quite cleared. In my town, Cincinnati, there is almost nowhere you can go and not encounter a steep grade of some sort. I had my trusty 01 WRX sedan, and it got us through just when I needed it to. Heck, I was safely passing slower drivers. My '13 Golf R is pretty good too, and has left lesser cars fighting for traction in it's wake. But I want a longer wheel base now, and something sporty enough to keep me smiling. So, I'm considering the Q4. I don't mind giving up a manual at this time either.So, thank you for the information. I'll keep looking for more posts about the Q4.
Flyby out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today I found this video of test drives on a small but snowy track:
I must say I think the AWD variant will be welcome here in SW Ohio.
Flyby out

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
FWIW any RWD car is not really ideal in snow.....
My 911 sits in the garage all winter long.....
Good luck with your final decision!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought a Q4 in February and drove it several times in snow and ice in Michigan. The Q4 handled the roads better than other AWD cars I have driven including my AWD Buick Regal. I was mostly sitting in rush hour traffic and not flogging it around an empty parking lot or something, but I did try to push the car a little to see how it would react. It handles well although some of that may be due to wheelbase, weight distribution and other factors present on the RWD as well. This car will be a daily driver for me and I wanted my wife to be able to drive it so automatic and AWD were mandatory for me.
Also hello forum-first post.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
FWIW any RWD car is not really ideal in snow.....
My 911 sits in the garage all winter long.....
Good luck with your final decision!
I'm old enough to have had to drive a few RWD cars in the winter snows here in Cincinnati. Having to get to work left no option but to drive. One learns to cope with one's car's traction capabilities. I recall when the Olds
Toronado came out, and how unusual it seemed with FWD:
I was driving a '69 Ford Galaxy 500, (the living room on wheels). But life goes on. I've owned 2 Corvairs, 65 and 66. Both were excellent in the snow of this hilly city.
I'd heard the Porsche was very good in the snow (????). But why risk it, I suppose.
Anyway, I almost require AWD as a matter of practicality. I say "almost" because snow will fall and streets will be cleared. I'm retired and can wait, if I go with a RWD car. But it's the Giulia's AWD tech that gives me pause with selecting an RWD. Giulia's AWD holds my interest because it seems to be the best of both worlds: AWD when needed, and RWD in normal operation. I've mentioned I own a '13 Golf R. It's AWD when needed, but defaults to FWD when AWD is not needed. I think I'd like to experience the Giulia's AWD configuration. But even if I don't perceive any advantage for either car, I'm ready for a longer wheel base (ie more comfortable ride).
Flyby out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a Q4 in February and drove it several times in snow and ice in Michigan. The Q4 handled the roads better than other AWD cars I have driven including my AWD Buick Regal. I was mostly sitting in rush hour traffic and not flogging it around an empty parking lot or something, but I did try to push the car a little to see how it would react. It handles well although some of that may be due to wheelbase, weight distribution and other factors present on the RWD as well. This car will be a daily driver for me and I wanted my wife to be able to drive it so automatic and AWD were mandatory for me.
Chuck, I like the cut of your jib!:smile2: by that I really mean to say I appreciate your practical experience in driving the AWD Giulia, and in Michigan at that!:cool: SW Ohio doesn't catch it like Michigan does when it comes to snow fall. So, reading how well the car copes in mundane winter conditions is a very important bit to know when it comes to decision-making; for me anyway. You mention certain of the car's attributes like wheel base and weight distribution as possible reasons , among others, for the car's AWD performance in the snow. I appreciate that part of your perspective on your car very much, and I think it's a valid observation. Also, as you, I'd like a Giulia as a daily driver that my wife could drive too. She's never warmed to driving a manual, so long-haul trips are either all on me in my car, or shared driving in her car (Lexus ES-330; a perfectly adequate and indefatigably reliable car, but you couldn't cram "fun-to-drive" in the driver's seat with a crow bar!). So, a comfortable sedan with clever AWD, and and driver's-car attributes is what I'd love to own. The Giulia is an Italian Mazda-6 (no offense! they share to some extent the focus on driver's pleasure (and if you squint can you see the Giulia i the front face of the 6?):
Anyway, Chuck I need to ask how is your Giulia holding up? Reliable? Still rattle-free after Michigan streets?
thank you,
Flyby out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, the 2017 Mazda6:
It's not an apples to apples comparison to the Giulia (no way!), but for what it is, it rules it's segment (Camry, Civic, Altima) in similar fashion to the Giulia (A4, MB-C, BMW-3).
Flyby out

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Pirelli Sottozeros? My Miata grips like an old time rally champ... in less than 4 inches of snow ;) [Spare tire delete as well, less weight!]

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
653 Posts
Buckling in

It's been quite some time since this was posted, so I'm hoping @Chuck 2.0 Q4 is still active on this forum. I leased my Q4 in May - after the worst of Chicago's winter was over - so I never drove it in winter conditions. There's a ton of threads and comments out there by people who changed out the Pirelli run-flats in favor of winter tires. I really don't want to make that investment for a car that I leased.
I am encouraged by your favorable review of the car's winter handling. Was your experience on the stock Pirelli run-flats that came on the car, or did you change them out?
Any one else out there have any info on how the run-flats did in Midwest winter conditions? I see more negative than positive comments, but the YouTube videos on this thread show pretty impressive performance in the snow.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,120 Posts
It's been quite some time since this was posted, so I'm hoping @Chuck 2.0 Q4 is still active on this forum. I leased my Q4 in May - after the worst of Chicago's winter was over - so I never drove it in winter conditions. There's a ton of threads and comments out there by people who changed out the Pirelli run-flats in favor of winter tires. I really don't want to make that investment for a car that I leased.
I am encouraged by your favorable review of the car's winter handling. Was your experience on the stock Pirelli run-flats that came on the car, or did you change them out?
Any one else out there have any info on how the run-flats did in Midwest winter conditions? I see more negative than positive comments, but the YouTube videos on this thread show pretty impressive performance in the snow.
How long is your lease? If you're going to have to pay to replace worn original tires anyway, why not pop for a set of snows? My plan is that running snow tires for ~⅓ of the lease will help ensure sufficient tread remaining on the Pirellis when I return the car.

Now, let's talk about traction and stability control deactivation switches.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Interesting thought

How long is your lease? If you're going to have to pay to replace worn original tires anyway, why not pop for a set of snows? My plan is that running snow tires for ~⅓ of the lease will help ensure sufficient tread remaining on the Pirellis when I return the car.

Now, let's talk about traction and stability control deactivation switches.
That's an interesting thought. I have a 12k, 3-year lease. This is the 5th 3-year lease I have done (all others were 12k also), and I never had to replace the tires on any one of the prior vehicles I leased. But none were run flats.
Is it your opinion that these tires will need to be replaced before they hit 36,000 miles?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,120 Posts
That's an interesting thought. I have a 12k, 3-year lease. This is the 5th 3-year lease I have done (all others were 12k also), and I never had to replace the tires on any one of the prior vehicles I leased. But none were run flats.

Is it your opinion that these tires will need to be replaced before they hit 36,000 miles?
Maybe not if they're babied. But that implies driving the car more sedately than the founders intended.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts