Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A score of 52. Laughable.

Ranked #12 out of 12 out in their compact luxury car category. The Audi A4 and Buick Regal lead the pack with a score of 81.

Excerpt:

The long awaited return of an Alfa Romeo sedan to the U.S. market is finally over. The new Giulia is Alfa's entry in the compact-luxury sport sedan segment, aiming to combine performance and premium to serve as an alternative to the BMW 3 Series.

This Italian sedan is brimming with style and character, and thanks to its super agile handling, it's fun to drive. We found it to be quick and fuel efficient. But ultimately, compared to some of its near-perfect peers, the Giulia falls short on interior quality, quietness, and ergonomics, among other things. These and other setbacks all play out as major annoyances during daily driving.

When it comes to performance, there's no question that the Giulia has the handling credentials for a driver's car; it puts the emphasis on "sport" in the sports sedan category. With its super-quick steering and perfectly balanced handling, the Giulia is a delight to drive. The 280-hp turbocharged four-cylinder engine does its part with robust acceleration and a snarly exhaust sound. But even with these strengths, it isn't a complete achievement. When it comes to ultimate cornering grip and braking performance, the Alfa is compromised by its pedestrian tires, while the eight-speed automatic transmission lacks polish in smoothness and response.

At least the Giulia's 27 mpg fuel economy is one of the best in the segment.

Ride comfort is civilized and commendable considering that agile handling, but there's a firm edge that makes it less plush than, say, an Audi A4. The Alfa is fairly quiet inside, but it is missing the level of substance and solidity you find in most competitors.

Inside, you're treated to a few quirky touches that add personality, such as the start button located on the steering wheel. While there are some interesting details, the Giulia is ripe with frustrations. The shifter is a nuisance to use, requiring the press of a button when going from Reverse to Drive. The infotainment system consists of a rotary knob and a screen which, at face value, looks similar to the Audi or BMW systems. However, actually using the system is cumbersome, too distracting and downright annoying. The center dash vents are too low, causing your elbows to freeze when the A/C is running. The driver's seat is limited in its adjustments, compromising the driving position. The rear seat is cramped -- not entirely unusual for this class -- and the trunk is small, as well.

Other daily bothersome details include the startling lane-departure warning system, as well as the overly sensitive parking sensors that go off in tight urban environment for no reason at all and even stay on when the car is in Park. That makes us wonder if Alfa engineers actually took the time to test the car outside the handling course on their test track.

Fit and finish is hit and miss. While the matte wood inlays and the texture of most surfaces are attractive, there are some cheap switches throughout the interior.

Advanced safety systems are limited to optional forward-collision warning, lane-departure warning and automatic emergency braking. However, there's no lane-keep assist or active cruise control.

Ultimately, its sporty character and styling notwithstanding, the Giulia is half-baked and pricing seems to be ambitious. Even if you're a true die-hard Alfa aficionado, we think that buying a Giulia is a gamble, especially given the Fiat-Chrysler track record on reliability...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Advanced safety systems are limited to optional forward-collision warning, lane-departure warning and automatic emergency braking. However, there's no lane-keep assist or active cruise control.

True, there is no active lane-keeping assist, but there definitely is active cruise control.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's laughable is their gripes, they're complaining about wrong things. Push button to shift gears? Oh the horror! They say the price is ambitious? Have they priced a 3 series? Alfa is a bargain in comparison to competition.
They should complain about mechanical and electrical faults in a brand new car, then someone might listen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They sound like a whiny teenager. Journalism with nothing objective, all subjective once again.

The things they complain about I personally disagree and love.

Say what you want, but everyone who's been inside my car, raves about it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
They sound like a whiny teenager. Journalism with nothing objective, all subjective once again.

Say what you want, but everyone who's been inside my car, raves about it."

This exactly. Friends and coworkers are probably more impressed by the interior than anything else it seems.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more quote from CR:

Annoyingly, the driver seat slides all the way to the back when you exit the car, and you can't shut it off. Alfa says 2018 models will do away with that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'll agree that the vents are too low, I've had the same thought. The infotainment knobs are plastic and should be metal, like the dash toggle. The infotainment is difficult to use. I agree with all of this and I think CR always does a good job I reporting on this type of annoyance.

Taking them seriously on the driving characteristic I don't. I trust my own time on the seat for that. But they are one of the only places tho know if the navi sucks before you buy and that matters too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Some observations are accurate, such as the grip of the stock tires, and the annoyance of the parking sensors when they're not needed in Park.

The rest of the observations are pedantry, highly subjective, and in some cases just false (e.g. active cruise control).

If they wanted to find something meaningful to complain about, they should have complained about the reliability.

Hands down there is no car I would rather drive or own than the Giulia (and I tried many)... if it weren't for all of these reliability issues.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I stopped trusting journalists long ago. They can be biased, incompetent, paid for, unconstructive, or just plain stupid...
Just look at the user reviews, what people who actually use the product every day have to say. It's a much bigger sample that reflects more accurately what the product actually is.

·
Registered
460 Posts
None of these "annoyances" resonate with me at all. Not only don't I find the seats hard to configure, I absolutely love the sport seats in my Ti. When I turn off the ignition and open the door my seat moves back -- a whopping 1-2 inches, literally -- I like that actually: less body-twisting to get out of the car and less wear on the outside vertical bolster. When I turn on the ignition, I use the time the seat is spending to return to my driving position to secure my seat belt and turn off the auto stop/start (now that's something I'd change, but I don't think it a big deal). And I can stop the seat from moving back (if I cared) by simply pressing forward on the seat toggle for a brief moment, like I would do in my Mustang GT because it would move back further than does my Ti. Same deal there though I never read people complain about it.

I don't find the knobs cheap-feeling. I don't have a problem with the vent placement. Not being a techie guy (I'm an engineer but just enjoy cars for driving with some basic concessions to comfort), I don't care about the infotainment issues (I wouldn't know they are issues if other people weren't telling me so). In all, I really love everything about the car, apart from the turbo and the do-everything-by-wire, but that's "progress" right, so what can I do if I want something newer than a 2011 328i. In all, given its unavoidable concessions to contemporary premium car engineering, I love it all. Much more than I expected I would.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I find most of this just p!ssy pants. OMG you have to push a freaking button to put the car in drive! and that is considered a "nuisance"? Which BTW is the exact same shifter that is in the BMW 3-Series.

I think the infotainment system could be improved by adding a couple of quick navigation jump buttons. to the phone, Nav, media which would make things go a lot faster. BMW did this with the 2nd generation idrive. Otherwise, having owned that idrive system I find this just as easy/difficult to use. It is no less cumbersome or functional.

Agree on the seat adjustments but most of this is just a giant nothingburger.

What I want from CR, the only thing I want from CR, is a deep analysis/data on safety and reliability. Otherwise keep to rating dishwashers and vacuum cleaners.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What's laughable is their gripes, they're complaining about wrong things. Push button to shift gears? Oh the horror!
To their defense, it is kind of annoying, but livable.

They gave some objective items. Oddly enough, you complain about their subjective assessment, while defending the car with other people's subjective assessments :D

Just look at the user reviews, what people who actually use the product every day have to say. It's a much bigger sample that reflects more accurately what the product actually is.
You could argue that owners won't provide balanced feedback, as they will oftentimes validate minor annoyances and brush them off as "characteristics". Owners are far more biased than journalists... because owners have made a far bigger investment than the 500 word essays journalists are paid to write down.

I don't agree with CR on everything, but they do have some spot on remarks. The stock tires are laughably terrible. The gear selector is dumb. The trunk is smallish. The car, despite terrible tires, has fantastic steering. The engine is brisk, even though it sounds like a truck engine at start up. How they failed to mention the insanely annoying inability to turn off auto stop/start forever, is the worst part of the entire article.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is this in the latest issue of CR or just on-line?
If so, which issue is it?

Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Maybe they didn't realize that the air vents on the dash rotate way up, an elbow frostbite saving feature that they obviously didn't notice!
Perhaps CR should stick to refrigerators and washing machines and giving Hun-day and Key-uh cars their standout ratings. Good Grief!
CR is obviously Alfaphobic!

:confused:

PS: Maybe I should have bought the car that sounds like my wife's hair dryer on low speed (Tesla).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe they didn't realize that the air vents on the dash rotate way up, an elbow frostbite saving feature that they obviously didn't notice!
Perhaps CR should stick to refrigerators and washing machines and giving Hun-day and Key-uh cars their standout ratings. Good Grief!
CR is obviously Alfaphobic!

PS: Maybe I should have bought the car that sounds like my wife's hair dryer on low speed (Tesla).
What do you expect, CR's customer base buys cars in Prosthetic Beige by drivers suffering from chronic ED.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts