Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
tire chains damaged my fenders ,

Fix or cover with flares ?
so
RWD? Loose chain tensioners? It is not real obvious to me why the fender got so chewed up.
Looks like your rim got chewed up too, but that is expected with chains.
A flare seems unlikely to cover up the patch where the fender meets the fascia.
Also, I think you are likely to develop rust problems if you just cover with a flare.

Registered
Also, maybe the end of the cable was not clipped in to the retainer? That would be both dangerous and account for the damage.

As @JeFizz might say "ufda!"

The cables I bought for my Mazda had a heavy bungee cord to add radial tension to the cable. Those were a spectacular fail, tearing up my rims pretty badly and loosing all traction and a meager 15MPH on ice. Never again...

Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.2 150 ATX RWD, 1992 Pontiac Firebird 3.1 V6
The manufacturer states snow chains may only be used with 16" and 17" wheels. Snow chains must never be mounted on 18" wheels (like your Potenza) an up.

Registered
The manufacturer states snow chains may only be used with 16" and 17" wheels. Snow chains must never be mounted on 18" wheels (like your Potenza) an up.
My AR Giulia manual says that I can fit chains on my 19" wheels, but requires that the chains be close fitting. I've never looked into it because I am not going to put chains on my Q4.

Registered
I carry Autosocks with me for trips to Tahoe to comply with chain control, even though with AWD and dedicated winter tires it means I only have to chain up when the conditions are so bad that I probably shouldn't be driving at all. My brother used them on his Golf R with all season tires and they made a big difference in getting grip.

Easy to install and remove, and no damage to your wheels or fenders. They are fabric however so if you drive on dry pavement for any period they can get chewed up pretty quick.

AutoSock Amazon

Registered
I鈥檝e had the Konig K-Summits for my last two cars (the Giulia and a Golf R). Crazy $$$$ but great for low clearance situations.

Not too bad to put on either.

Registered
I carry Autosocks with me for trips to Tahoe to comply with chain control, even though with AWD and dedicated winter tires it means I only have to chain up when the conditions are so bad that I probably shouldn't be driving at all. My brother used them on his Golf R with all season tires and they made a big difference in getting grip.

Easy to install and remove, and no damage to your wheels or fenders. They are fabric however so if you drive on dry pavement for any period they can get chewed up pretty quick.

AutoSock Amazon
The reason that I do not have chains in my Q4 for my drives up CA-88 is that IMO if Nokian R3 tires + Q4 are insufficient, chains are unlikely to help. Chains on all 4 wheels of an AWD vehicle with snow tires are helpful in severe conditions if you have big tires and lots of ground clearance--properties that my Q4 lacks. Otherwise you are just going to end up high centered.

Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.2 150 ATX RWD, 1992 Pontiac Firebird 3.1 V6
My AR Giulia manual says that I can fit chains on my 19" wheels, but requires that the chains be close fitting. I've never looked into it because I am not going to put chains on my Q4.
Indeed, you are right. But for 18" rims only with 225 mm tire width - and I tend to forget there are Giulias with 18" rims with 225 tire width in the rear. My mistake. :)
Font Screenshot Magenta Terrestrial plant Circle

Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Also, maybe the end of the cable was not clipped in to the retainer? That would be both dangerous and account for the damage.

As @JeFizz might say "ufda!"

The cables I bought for my Mazda had a heavy bungee cord to add radial tension to the cable. Those were a spectacular fail, tearing up my rims pretty badly and loosing all traction and a meager 15MPH on ice. Never again...
I'm not from Fargo. I'm more of an "ope", or "aww jeez" kinda guy.

Registered
I'm not from Fargo. I'm more of an "ope", or "aww jeez" kinda guy.
My in-laws in Rochester say ufda and a few other (probably corrupted/mispronounced) Norwegian expressions. Even my mother (her mother was raised in Minnesota) has been known to occasionally use a corrupted Norwegian expression.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts