Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Trying to figure out which exhaust is the way to go. I've been searching way before I even got my car (which was this past week).

To start, I’ll be looking for a full cat-back. That way I can keep the stock exhaust in tact for when I turn her back in. It's a lease.

What I’m really looking for is a deeper tone... a smoother baritone with as much of a wail I can get at the top end. For instance, not a huge fan of the straight pipe sound on this car. My fear is it sounding like a civic with a fart can. I know it’s hard with so few cylinders, though.

From what I can gather, I think that falls on the type of resonator. Or is it also a muffler? Most offerings seem to be resonator only.

The problem is that it's so hard to judge exhausts based on youtube videos.

The Madness Lusso seems to be the closest thing that I'm looking for, however their video quality is really good! So maybe there are others that sound similar when not recorded with an iphone microphone. $1500 is steep for the Lusso, but doable for me if it's "the one".

I know there are a lot of exhaust threads, and I've read a ton of them, but I wanted to start another one to see what you guys thought -- with what falls within the parameters of what I would LIKE for it to sound like.

Thanks guys!

R

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Don’t knock the partial system option. The Giulia has a slip joint behind the resonator that allows you to replace (basically) just the muffler without cutting, and allows easy reversal. Removing the resonator has been a factor in many of the drone complaints, just saying.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I spent a lot of time thinking, reading and watching the videos and decided to go with the Madness Lusso. I'm having it shipped to a local muffler shop that does custom cars next week. I like the idea that its a bolt only install and not obnoxiously loud and no drone. Maybe I can do a better recording once it's installed. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh that sounds great then. Looking forward to hearing it. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Don’t knock the partial system option. The Giulia has a slip joint behind the resonator that allows you to replace (basically) just the muffler without cutting, and allows easy reversal. Removing the resonator has been a factor in many of the drone complaints, just saying.
Alright, I will look into that. I wasn't aware of the slip joint. I thought cutting was require. Good to know.

So that falls under "axel back" systems, I assume? Also muffler delete like you seem to have on your car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Alright, I will look into that. I wasn't aware of the slip joint. I thought cutting was require. Good to know.

So that falls under "axel back" systems, I assume? Also muffler delete like you seem to have on your car?

Thanks!
Correct

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I think the 2.0T stock system uses the combination of 2 crushed sections and the resonator to control drone. From a performance perspective, I think the crushed sections are the limiting factor. I don't know if it is possible to get the same drone control by scaling up the system. Of course one forum member installed a parallel resonant tube to dampen drone, with uncertain performance consequences.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the 2.0T stock system uses the combination of 2 crushed sections and the resonator to control drone. From a performance perspective, I think the crushed sections are the limiting factor.
I've seen pictures of the stock exhaust tubing. I think know what you're talking about. There is a giant "crimp" through one of the pipes. That has to really affect the flow and sound.

I assume that maybe that's part of the Center Section, and a new Center Section such as the following would take care of it - https://madnessautoworks.com/2017-A...er-section-by-ragazzon-2017-resonated-pid7172

Out of just plain curiosity, I wonder what the car would sound like with JUST a new resonated center section -- with the stock muffler. (Which, btw, is a BIG ol' hunk of metal on these cars!)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm biased, but I like Tubi Style - and it's from Maranello to boot. Stock resonator in place, direct bolt up, no drone. I watch back and listen to my Ring when I leave in the mornings just to hear it. I have issues. :D

Reactions: AustinJRod

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I'm biased, but I like Tubi Style - and it's from Maranello to boot. Stock resonator in place, direct bolt up, no drone. I watch back and listen to my Ring when I leave in the mornings just to hear it. I have issues. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Who sells that and how much is it?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm biased, but I like Tubi Style - and it's from Maranello to boot. Stock resonator in place, direct bolt up, no drone. I watch back and listen to my Ring when I leave in the mornings just to hear it. I have issues. :D
I've heard it and have seen your past threads about it.

Tubi is and has been my favorite exhaust company around. I fell in love with a Tubi on an BMW E39 M5 years back. Made that car so fun to drive, and for a 2001 car I still think it was one of the best sounding non-exotic cars I've ever heard. Tubi Style turns cars into monsters.

Wish I could convince myself to get one, just can't justify it on a 2 year lease.

P.S. For those of you unfamiliar with Tubi... check out this quick clip of a Ferrari 355 with a Tubi Exhaust. Just, MUSIC.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I've seen pictures of the stock exhaust tubing. I think know what you're talking about. There is a giant "crimp" through one of the pipes. That has to really affect the flow and sound.

I assume that maybe that's part of the Center Section, and a new Center Section such as the following would take care of it - https://madnessautoworks.com/2017-A...er-section-by-ragazzon-2017-resonated-pid7172

Out of just plain curiosity, I wonder what the car would sound like with JUST a new resonated center section -- with the stock muffler. (Which, btw, is a BIG ol' hunk of metal on these cars!)
The OEM exhaust has a crimp before and a crimp after the resonator. This forms a classic acoustic filter. The car still exhibits a little drone at 1200-1300 RPM or so. When this is replaced with a straight pipe it seems that the drone RPM increases (1800RPM?) and becomes much louder (I have not tried this myself, this is hear-say).

I prefer to be able to turn off the noise when I do not want it (which is most of the time). I am still dreaming of buying or building myself a titanium exhaust with bypass valve; it is really what the car begs for. Should be able to save 20 pounds while getting a little more power and selectable sound level. Likely to cost $3000-4000 as a production item or considerably more as a one-off. It is an option on the 4C.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The OEM exhaust has a crimp before and a crimp after the resonator. This forms a classic acoustic filter. The car still exhibits a little drone at 1200-1300 RPM or so. When this is replaced with a straight pipe it seems that the drone RPM increases (1800RPM?) and becomes much louder (I have not tried this myself, this is hear-say).
So do the Cat Backs from Madness and the like also have crimping to alleviate drone? Or are they reliant on the Resonator.

Also, do you know where the differences lie in the Monza vs the Lusso? Is it just a different type of resonator? I've searched on the forum, but couldn't dig up an explanation. To me, the Monza sounds very similar to the other Cat Backs available on the Giulia. The Lusso (and the Tubi example we heard) seem to have that more subdued, cleaner sound. The Tubi has a muffler, though.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Does anyone know where to get the Tubi on the US side?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Does anyone know where to get the Tubi on the US side?
Did you not try championmotorsport.com? It's the place that made the video you linked to upthread.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Did you not try championmotorsport.com? It's the place that made the video you linked to upthread.
Nice catch! It's not on their site but i did email them at least. I asked if they're willing to do a group buy for a discount as well. As of now we can get it for about 2,200 USD from Australia, not certain on shipping charges though.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Nice catch! It's not on their site but i did email them at least. I asked if they're willing to do a group buy for a discount as well. As of now we can get it for about 2,200 USD from Australia, not certain on shipping charges though.
Good call to inquire after a group buy! I do really like the sound, but it's about 2x what I'm willing to pay at this point, so I doubt any potential discount would pull it into line for my needs.

Given that I'm working with a 2yr lease here, and that I want just a bit more noise, I think I'll just give the Remus axle-back a shot for now, in hopes it boosts the volume levels enough to get a little window-down action sound.

·
Registered
576 Posts

I prefer to be able to turn off the noise when I do not want it (which is most of the time). I am still dreaming of buying or building myself a titanium exhaust with bypass valve; it is really what the car begs for. Should be able to save 20 pounds while getting a little more power and selectable sound level. Likely to cost $3000-4000 as a production item or considerably more as a one-off. It is an option on the 4C.
So basically, you’re hoping for the F80 M3 Titanium M Performance exhaust. >:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts