Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those people who have the Quadrifoglio, is it possible for you to smoke the tires from a dead stop? There is no way that I can do that with my QV. Instead I get a slightly delayed very pathetic roll-away, and then after that the power will come on too strong.

I'm not really wanting to smoke my tires, but for a car that has 505 hp I should be able to smoke them if I wanted to. Even in Race mode I can't smoke the tires. I have the automatic transmission because that's the only thing available in the U.S., but I would bet that this would not be a problem with the manual transmission.

To demonstrate what I am talking about, from a dead stop with the engine idling, mash the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Immediately after mashing the gas pedal you will get a big "nothing", and then after a pathetically slow roll forward the car will take off with too much power.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
For Scientific Purposes Only.....

So to help out a fellow board member here I volunteer to shred my rear tires this weekend and have my wife or son video my hooning around:grin2:
I firmly believe you can smoke these babies very easily...
I smoke the tires on my E39 M5 by dropping the clutch.....and DSC button off...and my M5 makes 470hp at the crank...
We are obligated to do it in RACE mode as we cannot switch off the DSC in any other mode....
will try it in full auto and in flappy paddle...
stay tuned...inquiring minds want to know>:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I was down for the ride and drive in New Orleans @NOLA Race Park we had no problem smoking the tires. Plus a pro-driver put on a very impressive drifting show for us in one of the cars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So to help out a fellow board member here I volunteer to shred my rear tires this weekend and have my wife or son video my hooning around:grin2:
I firmly believe you can smoke these babies very easily...
I smoke the tires on my E39 M5 by dropping the clutch.....and DSC button off...and my M5 makes 470hp at the crank...
We are obligated to do it in RACE mode as we cannot switch off the DSC in any other mode....
will try it in full auto and in flappy paddle...
stay tuned...inquiring minds want to know>:)
Hahaha nice! I can't wait! This shall be great!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm sure it will drift just fine when you are at speed, but try smoking the tires when you are starting from a dead stop. I'm betting that you won't be able to do it until the car has rolled a few feet.

I'm not really wanting to smoke my tires, but what I would like is for the initial launch from a dead stop to be proportional to how much pedal I'm putting into it, regardless of which driving mode I am in. A small amount of pedal should result in a leisurely launch, and a large amount of pedal should result in a smoking fast launch. But it doesn't matter if I use a lot of pedal or a small amount of pedal; either way the first few feet of the launch always has the exact same very leisurely acceleration profile.

·
Supporting Vendor
698 Posts
What I have found is that in Race Mode, holding the throttle at 2000 rpm with one foot on the brake produces a nice quick launch without too much wheelspin. Launches from a higher rpm would probably produce more wheelspin at the expense of a slower start...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like for the pace of normal starts (not in race mode) to be proportional to how much the accelerator pedal is pushed. I'm only referring to the first few feet of a start, because after that the engine responds properly to gas pedal inputs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm sure it will drift just fine when you are at speed, but try smoking the tires when you are starting from a dead stop. I'm betting that you won't be able to do it until the car has rolled a few feet.

I'm not really wanting to smoke my tires, but what I would like is for the initial launch from a dead stop to be proportional to how much pedal I'm putting into it, regardless of which driving mode I am in. A small amount of pedal should result in a leisurely launch, and a large amount of pedal should result in a smoking fast launch. But it doesn't matter if I use a lot of pedal or a small amount of pedal; either way the first few feet of the launch always has the exact same very leisurely acceleration profile.

As for your taking off from a dead stop that is not what I experienced down south for the ride and drive. On the high performance track drives, with traction control on and stomping on the pedal the traction control system was doing its thing controlling wheel spin and flashing and blinking light. When I did have an opportunity to drive with race mode and all traction system off the tires would spin. Now I did not keep my foot to the floor trying to smoke the tires as you say because I was trying to keep a controlled launch on the car. You also have to remember that the car runs full race sticky tires so when warm it is going to be very hard to break them loose. In fact after about 30 hot laps in the cars down there they were replacing the front tires on some of the car because cords were starting to show on the out side edges of the tires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tell me about how the car was configured. I assume you were in race mode? And did you start from a dead stop and immediately start laying rubber?
You start from a dead stop. You can keep the car at a dead stop and spin the tyres, or allow the car to roll forward slowly, or allow the car to launch quickly - the choice is yours :grin2:

Here is the process I use:

1. Select RACE mode. RACE causes the differential to lock under power. You can also do this in Dynamic mode, but only one wheel spins, so I wouldn't recommend it.
2. If you want to spin the wheels most easily, select the stiffest damper setting. If you want to launch most quickly, select the mid damper setting.
3. Hold brake with left foot.
4. Select manual gear change mode and first gear.
5. Apply just enough brake pressure so the car doesn't move forward when you apply throttle, but not too much brake pressure that the clutches slip too much. Best I can describe it is firm but not forceful. Once you've played with step 7 a few times, you'll get it quite quickly.
6. With the brake held, floor the accelerator. Initially, revs will be low and the car will struggle to push forward against the brakes.
7. Keep the accelerator floored. The revs will rise on the torque convertor, then the clutches will try and engage. At this point, release pressure a tiny bit on the brake pedal to allow the rear wheels to spin easily, but keep enough pressure so the car remains stationary, or moves forward at your preferred speed.
8. If the clutches haven't fully locked and the rear wheels haven't started spinning freely within about 3 seconds, I suggest stop and let the car cool off to avoid damage. The problem is you're holding the brake too hard.
9. When the wheels are spinning, to avoid the engine hitting the rev limiter, modulate the throttle. I tend to pulse it like when drifting. While you're doing this, if you want to move forward slowly, you can modulate the brake to manage your speed.
10. If you want lots of smoke, change into 2nd or 3rd while spinning.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Burning rubber is an art.......why we do is beyond any of my reasonable explanations......:smile2:

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turn Car in Race mode
Left Foot Brake
Right Foot Gas
Let go of Brake
Done

Its called Line Lock mode.
That burnout is pretty impressive. I have no doubt my QV could do that too.

The only thing that I have been complaining about is the first 1/2 second of throttle response when I push the gas pedal with the engine at idle. It's during that 1/2 second that the power delivery is lackluster in my opinion, and any other reasonably competent car (regardless of HP) will probably get an initial jump on the QV. (And then of course the QV would smoke it after that.)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a question for the QV owners. What happens if you quickly floor the accelerator pedal while the car is at a dead stop and the mode has been set to Dynamic? Does it take off immediately, or is there a delay before it gets going?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
bigk200, checking in your progress, did you ever get to smoke your tires?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts