Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2017 Giulia Veloce
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2017 Giulia Veloce and recently noticed a burning coolant smell.I opened the bonnet and noticed that there is some smoke coming out near the turbo. After reading a few posts on here, I noticed that some people had the same kind of problem and it was due to a faulty o-ring. I’ve attached some pics below, and would like to know whether the leak I am experiencing, is the same

I am obviously going to call Alfa and get this sorted, however I was wondering if there was a ‘best’ way of doing so. I rely on my car a lot to get to work, so I wanted to know if I would definitely receive a loan car. Also, could anyone tell me usually how long it takes for the problem to be solved?

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Dillon..sounds like you are in the UK. Have a look at this thread from the UK forum which is for the faulty coolant O-ring on the low temp coolant line from the intercooler expansion tank which on the UK rhd cars is on the passenger side to the front of the car. What is the coolant level in it? Mine was empty and I only noticed the leak after I got a CEL for intercooler air temperature. No burning or smoke.

First time I am hearing about smoke. There is also an oil line that feeds the turbo bearings, if that leaks it could dump some oil on the hot pipe and burn. The black colour looks suspiciously like oil but I do not wish to alarm you.

If it is turbo oil leak you should call Alfa breakdown and get it towed to the dealer on a flat bed. I did just as a precaution even though the turbo will run fine without the cooling line unless you are pushing it. The smoke means you should be cautious in my opinion.

Is there any signs of a leak on the pipe goes in to the turbo at 12 o clock (or is it 9 o clock) position which is the oil lines? The 3 o clock pipes are coolant. If there is pink residue under the turbo, it is likely to be coolant. You should get steam not smoke.

You should get a courtesy car as part of breakdown service. Any issues insist and also raise a customer care case using the 00800 number. Is yours still under warranty? Even if it isn't customer care can do a good will.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
I forgot to add for the O ring the fix is a new coolant pipe as well. It took 3 days but that was waiting for parts. I had a loan car.

· Registered
2,510 Posts
From your images, this looks like the coolant leak at turbo problem that was reported on some time ago. This was a common fault on some 2017's here in the US. If I remember correctly, the fix (here) was just a new o-ring. Check your coolant reservoirs. I'd bet that one is low. Good luck with your repairs!

· Registered
2017 Giulia Veloce
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Dillon..sounds like you are in the UK. Have a look at this thread from the UK forum which is for the faulty coolant O-ring on the low temp coolant line from the intercooler expansion tank which on the UK rhd cars is on the passenger side to the front of the car. What is the coolant level in it? Mine was empty and I only noticed the leak after I got a CEL for intercooler air temperature. No burning or smoke.

First time I am hearing about smoke. There is also an oil line that feeds the turbo bearings, if that leaks it could dump some oil on the hot pipe and burn. The black colour looks suspiciously like oil but I do not wish to alarm you.

If it is turbo oil leak you should call Alfa breakdown and get it towed to the dealer on a flat bed. I did just as a precaution even though the turbo will run fine without the cooling line unless you are pushing it. The smoke means you should be cautious in my opinion.

Is there any signs of a leak on the pipe goes in to the turbo at 12 o clock (or is it 9 o clock) position which is the oil lines? The 3 o clock pipes are coolant. If there is pink residue under the turbo, it is likely to be coolant. You should get steam not smoke.

You should get a courtesy car as part of breakdown service. Any issues insist and also raise a customer care case using the 00800 number. Is yours still under warranty? Even if it isn't customer care can do a good will.
Hi mate, thanks for the reply. What’s confusing me is, I can see a lot of coolant stains in and around the turbo area and the pipes leading to and from it, and I have been noticing my coolant level been decreasing faster these past couple weeks, so I have been topping it up. But like you said, it does look a lot like oil, and again, coolant doesn’t smoke. So this is what is puzzling me even more! I have some videos but I’m unsure of the best way to post them on here. Thanks again for your reply

· Registered
2017 Giulia Veloce
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to add for the O ring the fix is a new coolant pipe as well. It took 3 days but that was waiting for parts. I had a loan car.
also, looking at the forum post you sent. I saw the guy uploaded a picture of his engine bay and circled the pipe that was the issue. From what I can see, it looks like the pipe that is causing something to smoke on mine, is the pipe directly in front of the one he circled. I have circled it in blue below.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
That red circle is a rough pointer. The affected coolant pipe is the one going from the front intercooler tank towards the turbo and turns 90 degrees. It is the two pipes on top of each other IIRC that you have posted in the first picture. One is the coolant supply and other is the return line. The fact that you have been topping up the intercooler tank for a while suggest you already had an O-ring failure. That explains the coolant stains. Did you not think to take it to the dealer at that point? A coolant leak is pretty significant isn't it? It may be that you have been running the turbo without low temp water cooling which is the electric pump you hear after you the ignition off and also runs the intercooler when engine runs, this may have overheated the turbo bearings or casing and cause the oil line to leak. I am only guessing here. My theory is the oil pipe has leaked oil on to the coolant line you have pictured and the heat from the exhaust turbine casing has caused the smoke from the burning oil. It may still be just coolant. I would suggest you book it in to dealer asap. Who is your dealer and is it under warranty? Best not to continue driving the car. Call breakdown.

I have some 3d sketches of the turbo which I will post tomorrow. I need to find it. Good luck.

· Registered
2017 Giulia Veloce
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That red circle is a rough pointer. The affected coolant pipe is the one going from the front intercooler tank towards the turbo and turns 90 degrees. It is the two pipes on top of each other IIRC that you have posted in the first picture. One is the coolant supply and other is the return line. The fact that you have been topping up the intercooler tank for a while suggest you already had an O-ring failure. That explains the coolant stains. Did you not think to take it to the dealer at that point? A coolant leak is pretty significant isn't it? It may be that you have been running the turbo without low temp water cooling which is the electric pump you hear after you the ignition off and also runs the intercooler when engine runs, this may have overheated the turbo bearings or casing and cause the oil line to leak. I am only guessing here. My theory is the oil pipe has leaked oil on to the coolant line you have pictured and the heat from the exhaust turbine casing has caused the smoke from the burning oil. It may still be just coolant. I would suggest you book it in to dealer asap. Who is your dealer and is it under warranty? Best not to continue driving the car. Call breakdown.

I have some 3d sketches of the turbo which I will post tomorrow. I need to find it. Good luck.
It was only within the past two weeks when I noticed that the coolant had dropped. However it had only dropped a maximum of 2.5cm below the MIN mark before I top it up. Yes you are right, I should have called up Alfa last week. But luckily I haven’t driven the car much over the past weekend. Your theory does seem feasible however would’ve been shocked if the turbo had overheated so soon.

Luckily I have around 5 months of warranty left, and my dealership is Ancaster in Dartford, Kent. I will call AlfaAssist tomorrow. I really am hoping it is just the coolant pipe O-Ring and nothing more serious. Also just to note, I never thought the smoke I was seeing was burning oil, because I definitely know what that smells like. Initially when I smelled the smoke for the first time, I thought it was brake/rubber related. However after asking a friend on his thoughts, he is adamant it is coolant that is burning.

Anyway, thank you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it! I will keep this thread updated.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
@DillonW if it was just a small drop in coolant level then there is unlikely to be any issues with the turbo. My main doubt regarding this being purely coolant is the colour of the sludge on top of the pipe being dark which is what overheated oil will look like. The coolant is just water with additives so it would evaporate leaving a pink residue behind and not a black sludge/residue. Hence my hypothesis. It could be that you have a small co-incident oil leak. Ancaster are pretty decent from what I have heard. You should be in good hands. IF you are keeping the car longer, make sure to purchase a MOPAR 2 year extended warranty and the Mopar Service care which for 2 years is just £349 or for 3 years £499. You can use it any dealer. If Ancaster are not aware of this it can be purchased by phone from Lipscomb Ayelsford Maidstone. Speak to Dawn or David at the service desk. For more details (ignore the catchy title):

The pipes in question are:
Item 1 - coolant supply pipe circled in Blue is the likely source of coolant leak but this also has the black residue.
Item 1 - oil supply pipe union circled in Green is the likely source of oil that could in theory trickle down onto the coolant supply pipe.

Auto part

Reactions: Crosshairs

· Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,560 Posts
I had the O ring done and fixed a couple of years ago ... and just noticed i have developed the problem again 40,000 klms later
same spot as that second picture
luckily spotted 3 -4 days out from warranty expire
also have the air intake oil leak

does the pipe need to be replaced as well to avoid it happening again ...

· Registered
1,346 Posts
In the US, a recall is lined up to come out in about 5 days, under the name W05, which seems to expand the previous O-ring replacement TSB 09-005-17. For 2017 - 2020 Giulia 2.0, and 2018 - 2020 Stelvio 2.0.

Plus, as per TSB 18-097-19, the latest PCM reflash was to improve turbo coolant pump after run duration and on-off strategy update, to improve turbo O-ring durability.

· Registered
4,560 Posts
this is from the other duplicate thread

That's a coolant line for the turbo. The o-ring that was covered in a service bulletin was not in that area. It was on a rubber hose connection.
is that the location of the O ring that has been causing the 2017 cars problems ?

is billeee referring to another O ring

signed

confused

· Registered
2017 Giulia Veloce
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@DillonW if it was just a small drop in coolant level then there is unlikely to be any issues with the turbo. My main doubt regarding this being purely coolant is the colour of the sludge on top of the pipe being dark which is what overheated oil will look like. The coolant is just water with additives so it would evaporate leaving a pink residue behind and not a black sludge/residue. Hence my hypothesis. It could be that you have a small co-incident oil leak. Ancaster are pretty decent from what I have heard. You should be in good hands. IF you are keeping the car longer, make sure to purchase a MOPAR 2 year extended warranty and the Mopar Service care which for 2 years is just £349 or for 3 years £499. You can use it any dealer. If Ancaster are not aware of this it can be purchased by phone from Lipscomb Ayelsford Maidstone. Speak to Dawn or David at the service desk. For more details (ignore the catchy title):

The pipes in question are:
Item 1 - coolant supply pipe circled in Blue is the likely source of coolant leak but this also has the black residue.
Item 1 - oil supply pipe union circled in Green is the likely source of oil that could in theory trickle down onto the coolant supply pipe.

View attachment 96043
As you said, i think it is the pipe you circled that is leaking oil. Im pretty sure it is the O-Ring. Managed to find the part number online. It doesn't look too hard to fix, so ill order it tomorrow. Do you know any websites that sell parts online? Or is my best bet calling the dealer?

· Registered
2,006 Posts
You should call the dealer parts department. Ideally get it done under warranty. Shop4parts sometimes can source parts. An oil leak is unexpected, hence my suggestion to get it fixed by dealer. They should give you a loan car.

· Registered
4,560 Posts
this may have overheated the turbo bearings or casing and cause the oil line to leak.
so how is he getting oil on the turbo coolant outlet line (blue circle port 1 in diagram)

that looks like oil where mine is a crusted pink colour

there are three pipes in that same area
top pipe - oil inlet to turbo (green circle 1)
middle pipe - port 1 turbo coolant outlet line (blue circle 1) -
bottom pipe - port 2 turbo coolant inlet line

is oil leaking down from top pipe ?
he could have two problems (top pipe and middle pipe)

· Registered
2,006 Posts
so how is he getting oil on the turbo coolant outlet line (blue circle port 1 in diagram)

that looks like oil where mine is a crusted pink colour

there are three pipes in that same area
top pipe - oil inlet to turbo (green circle 1)
middle pipe - port 1 turbo coolant outlet line (blue circle 1) -
bottom pipe - port 2 turbo coolant inlet line

is oil leaking down from top pipe ?
he could have two problems (top pipe and middle pipe)
It is just my suspicion from the colour of the residue that covers the coolant pipe. In theory oil could leak from the top oil inlet pipe union and seep down to the sides imprinting on the coolant line. Loss of coolant is a different issue but could have caused the oil leak or not.

Water/coolant = steam
Oil = smoke

· Registered
3,614 Posts
Yeah bring it in. That oil leak is not good.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

· Registered
2,006 Posts
@DillonW any update?

I think you should take it to dealer as I suspect it is an oil leak like I first guessed caused by losing coolant which caused the turbo remain hot causing thermal stress. There is a new recall W05 in US market for updating the ECU to allow longer run of the Low Temperature electric coolant pump to the turbo (the whine you hear on engine shut down). This is a preventative recall but it gives credence to my oil weep theory. Thanks to @Max For posting the recall.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts