Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I bought a Guilia at the end of July and have been having this weird smell come from the A/C vents. At first I thought it was a new car smell thing, but I've owned plenty of brand new cars with 0 miles and have never experienced a smell like the one coming from the Guilia. It's not a constant smell, instead its very random when it occurs which is why its making hard for the techs to diagnose.

I told the mechanic at the Manhattan dealership to take the car for the weekend and play with the A/C temp and pressure knobs until he was able to reproduce the smell. He drove the vehicle 170 miles and says he didn't smell anything. I noticed when he gave me back the car the Air Recirculation option lights were off. Normally its set to M when I'm driving it. Really not by choice either, its just always been that way since I bought it. I also noticed in M, it blows the A/C faster. The Guilia manual does a poor job to explain how this works. I had to go to a website to view the owners manual with even a more incomplete section devoted to the functions of Air Recirculation system.

I've noticed that when I drive on the highway then pull off on exit, if I stop say at a light right off the exit, and then the engine does the Auto turn off feature, the a/c coldness reduces, then when the car starts again, I'll get a blast of air that just smells funny. It's not for a long time, buts its definitely not a normal smell. It's an uncomfortable smell to breathe in.

I was able to reproduce the smell within hours of leaving the dealership. The Alfa Cares rep I spoke to has mentioned some functionalities of the Air Quality Control system that are making me think the air compressor when reactivated is causing the smell I'm smelling. Does anyone have any similar experiences with their Guilia?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same issue. From what I can tell this is caused when the AC compressor turns off. It is possible mildew is forming in the air vents from condensed moisture. The cool air from the AC condenses moisture which sits in the air vents. When the AC cycles off the slight change in air temperature allows water to heat just enough to reenter the air. This takes a little of the mildew with it causing the air to smell funky.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
From the TSB thread.

NUMBER: 2303717
REV. A
GROUP: 23 Body
DATE: September 23, 2017

SUBJECT:

Odor Coming from Engine Compartment

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves replacing the cowl seal gasket and sealing off the two vent holes in the hood.

MODELS:

2017 (GA) Alfa Romeo Giulia
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA.
NOTE: **This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before February 28, 2017 (MDH
0228XX)**.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Customers may notice a smell in the passenger compartment while operating the vehicle in traffic conditions (Stop and Start, 2nd and 3rd gear and parking maneuvers).

Fix: apply insulating tape on hood vent holes and replace cowl gasket

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get a smell that I can best describe as a "gear oil" smell, usually after coming to a stop fairly quickly. Is that what you guys are getting?
I thought it was maybe the exhaust coating burning off. I still have under 400 miles, so I figured it would improve over time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I initially described it as something chemical like maybe what Freon smells like. Whatever it is, it's not pleasant. My gut wants to say that after the techs performed the above repair NUMBER: 2303717 it got better. Like when I first bought the car and the smell would happen I would have to immediately put my front 2 windows down in order to breathe properly. This seal they put on for fix NUMBER: 2303717 I think made some improvements because the smell does not seem as offensive as before. The smell is still there however.

No dealership in my area had loaners even though in their dealership contract they sign they are required to provide a luxury premium vehicle for when your vehicle has to go in for service. After working with Alfa Cares the Manhattan Alfa Romeo, they provided me an Enterprise loaner (2017 BMW) for 6 days. They were unable to locate the problems during the 6 days, and so basically asked me to come get the car.. I drive the car, and within a couple hours was able to reproduce the issue I sent it in for.

I own Mercedez Benz C300 and my local White Plains dealership is amazing. The pick up the car, leave me a loaner, and when I get my car back its given back to me like the first day I bought it. Alfa on the other hand, completely different story. Sort of regret this purchase after dealing with so many issues with this brand new car.

I have about 4000 miles on my car, and the smell has not gone away. What kind of coating are you referring too @gxmech?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I initially described it as something chemical like maybe what Freon smells like. Whatever it is, it's not pleasant. My gut wants to say that after the techs performed the above repair NUMBER: 2303717 it got better. Like when I first bought the car and the smell would happen I would have to immediately put my front 2 windows down in order to breathe properly. This seal they put on for fix NUMBER: 2303717 I think made some improvements because the smell does not seem as offensive as before. The smell is still there however.

No dealership in my area had loaners even though in their dealership contract they sign they are required to provide a luxury premium vehicle for when your vehicle has to go in for service. After working with Alfa Cares the Manhattan Alfa Romeo, they provided me an Enterprise loaner (2017 BMW) for 6 days. They were unable to locate the problems during the 6 days, and so basically asked me to come get the car.. I drive the car, and within a couple hours was able to reproduce the issue I sent it in for.

I own Mercedez Benz C300 and my local White Plains dealership is amazing. The pick up the car, leave me a loaner, and when I get my car back its given back to me like the first day I bought it. Alfa on the other hand, completely different story. Sort of regret this purchase after dealing with so many issues with this brand new car.

I have about 4000 miles on my car, and the smell has not gone away. What kind of coating are you referring too @gxmech?
Your first issue is your dealer choice...the Alfa dealer in Manhattan leaves much to be desired....and your comparing him to Pepe MB who are really very very good as a dealer....almost as good as Ray Catena...
if you are located in Westchester bring your car to Miller in Greenwich. The service is very good, their techs work on Ferrari/Maserati/McLaren/Alfa Romeo. I have my Quadrifoglio serviced there as opposed to the dealer where I bought the car.
Good Luck
M

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I get a smell that I can best describe as a "gear oil" smell, usually after coming to a stop fairly quickly. Is that what you guys are getting?
I thought it was maybe the exhaust coating burning off. I still have under 400 miles, so I figured it would improve over time.
That's exactly what the TSB fixes. The European TSB even explicitely describes it as gear oil smell.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had it when less than a 1,000 miles but has permanently disappeared at first oil change (proactive change) at 1,200 miles, and after the ECM update. Gone forever, and currently at 9,600 miles.

·
Registered
2020 gulia
156 Posts
I thought it was me. I've had that smell on and off from the beginning. It smells like freon to me. I have noticed that the smell has lessened since the fan was fixed. It hadn't been working which I didn't realize. I thought the smell and the lack of the air not being as cold at times was part of cars "charm". When I had it serviced this last time that's when I was told the fan wasn't working. Blows cold all the time now and smell is not noticeable as much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts