Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened :(

Didn't notice it until someone at work noticed for me (This happens a lot now, actually :grin2:). But I was out and about in a populated downtown area this past weekend, so it was likely given a love tap by someone trying to park. Of course, no note or anything was left.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Looks very small and it doesn't even look like the paint was damaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I can't see your thumbnail but I had just bought my MINI and my husband came home and said "why are the Kayaks on the ground" (we have them hoisted above the vehicles). Well before it went on the ground it hit the hood for the MINI. I took it to collision and then I called a dent guy. No paint damage. They did a great job pulling the dent out and smoothing it out and you never noticed it again. Might be an option but I can't see your dent. Dent repair (150) Hood replace and paint (900) went with dent repair.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see your thumbnail but I had just bought my MINI and my husband came home and said "why are the Kayaks on the ground" (we have them hoisted above the vehicles). Well before it went on the ground it hit the hood for the MINI. I took it to collision and then I called a dent guy. No paint damage. They did a great job pulling the dent out and smoothing it out and you never noticed it again. Might be an option but I can't see your dent. Dent repair (150) Hood replace and paint (900) went with dent repair.
Thank you for the advice!

Here is an external link for the picture:
https://i.imgur.com/alxr5Nq.jpg

I'll also embed it here:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Call dent repair. My hood was smash and had the curve on the top impacted. I didn't watch how in the heck he did it but he got out the dent (strong suction I believe) and then smoothed it out. I would try that route first. The guy I used was mobile and came out to the house (less overhead?) It saved my husbands ass because it was his big idea to strap two sea kayaks above the cars. Now I will say before the QV came home we bought new straps and doubled them up to ensure these issue doesn't repeat.

The dent guys are really good at what they do. They don't do paint just the dent

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I can not see any dent in your pic.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mine had a door ding....dent repair popped it right out from the other side and was good as new.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can not see any dent in your pic.
It's actually more of a protrudence rather than a dent. Here's a close-up:

And after further inspection, it looks like the quarterpanel is very slightly bent. Picture below:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hmmm...that looks more like crumple damage, not a slight contact to contact occurrence. Best go to a body shop you trust and let them assess the damage.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm...that looks more like crumple damage, not a slight contact to contact occurrence. Best go to a body shop you trust and let them assess the damage.
That's what I was thinking too, after I noticed it. ****, I was hoping it'd be an easier fix but this stuff happens when you drive your car everywhere lol.

Luckily it's a company lease car so the repair won't cost anything. I'll just be in a loaner for however long it takes for them to fix it (hopefully they'll let me keep driving it while the part is ordered if it needs to be replaced)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Quarter panel can be fixed gently, you could even do it yourself probably, it is aluminum so very pliable, still probably recomended for professional job

Bumper on the other hand is plastic and that damage seems to be from elastic deformation, it most likely can not be fixed....when you bend material past their elasticity it suffers permanent elastic damage....it could be sanded and repainted or simply replaced......

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Was that the front passenger quarter? I thought I saw a crease there but wasn't sure. And the paint is cracked so it will nee to be repainted.

Sorry bro, I had a close call just yesterday pulling the car in garage. Didn't put my window down to eyeball the drivers wheels to get close so I was out a tad. As I cut back to pull in I heard a crunch on the passenger side! Luckily, the weather stripping and PPF helped me out. I just grazed the passenger rear wheel along the flashing on the garage but a nail for the stripping found the wheel rim. Yes another wheel got damaged. But luckily it was small with just a couple scrapes and only one real chip. I decided not to fuss over it and cleaned it up with rubbing compound and then touched it up with spray paint in a cap and my trusty modelling detail brush. I need a new can of paint thinner too ;) Didn't use any putty as it was shallow. I can add another coat to even it up. About the size of a nail head and on the edge of the lip.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oh yeh. Now seeing the close up ouch. The paint is messed put and looks like a nice crease. Body shop. No reason that they shouldn't let you keep the car if they are going to order the whole new part. Then it will be in a week for the painting and matching likely. I guess fortunately it is a company car. Another reason for me to get lots of exercise in the QV. This just stinks. Sorry

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take it to a body shop soon to get an estimate on damage.

Unfortunately if it's less than $1000, they won't fix it until after I turn it back in at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
Quarter panel can be fixed gently, you could even do it yourself probably, it is aluminum so very pliable, still probably recomended for professional job

Bumper on the other hand is plastic and that damage seems to be from elastic deformation, it most likely can not be fixed....when you bend material past their elasticity it suffers permanent elastic damage....it could be sanded and repainted or simply replaced......
Each time a thin material is plastically deformed by bending it thins and lengthens such that it cannot be put back into its original shape. After my truck wreck the autobody shop missed a very faint dent in the right rear fender. I later had that repaired. The body shop cut a slit in the metal to relieve the stress caused by the lengthening of the metal, then covered it with bondo (they may have tack welded the slit too). A different approach to the same problem is to use a sheet metal "shrinking hammer", which embeds a waffle pattern in the metal in order to overcome the lengthening caused by the plastic deformation. In either case the metal is weakened and bondo (or lead) must be used to hide the repair.

Elastic deformation (a.k.a. oil canning) is the type of "damage" that the dent repair guys can fix with suction cups and or pushing on the back side. The trick here is that there must be minimal or no plastic deformation of the material for such a repair to work.

The thicker the material the less likely it is to undergo elastic deformation and not spring back on its own. Giulia's aluminum fenders "feel" thick and of course the plastic fascia on the front, rear and skirts of the car are pretty thick. High strength aluminum alloy is as strong as common steel, although I have no idea what was used in Giulia.

·
Registered
51 Posts
your going to have to find a lot damage guy, colors on parade is one company, although you'll need to see the individuals work first. they travel around to dealerships with a little trailer and paint on the spot with tiny spray guns. I've used them extensively on my cars and contrary to what some will tell you, you can spot minor damage if you know what your doing. a good dent guy can probably fix the fender, but the bumper cover needs paint for sure. Also DO NOT ATTEMPT to do your own dent repair, its not as simple as a suction cup and your fixed,, thats all bullshit. I just had a golf ball ding removed from my rear quarter and it took the guy over 3 hours with a multitude of little hammers, glued on pull rings, and little teflon tipped punches to work the metal. its a true art.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts