Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed a lot of dropouts while listening to the Sirius radio? I’ve been driving my new car for almost 2 weeks and the radio seems to dropout far more often than it ever did on either of the two MINI’s I’ve owned.

BTW, the thread title should read "Sirius Radio Dropouts"

·
Registered
630 Posts
You mean like it momentarily loses the signal? That's normal for any Sirius XM source in a car. Heavy tree cover, bridges/ tunnels, mountains can all affect reception. I generally only get signal loss when I pull into a parking garage. However, I have had the Infotainment system totally crap out on me on several occasions where XM didn't work at all. The radio was stuck on the last station and would not respond to steering wheel or center console controls and would not display any song info on the screen. I've also had it where it wouldn't switch from FM to XM band. Even a quick on/off/restart ignition cycle didn't clear the fault. I had to turn the car off, exit, lock the doors and walk away for a few hours so the affected module could "go to sleep" and then restart the car for it to resolve. That's happened probably 3 or 4 times now in 7 months of ownership.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone else noticed a lot of dropouts while listening to the Sirius radio? I’ve been driving my new car for almost 2 weeks and the radio seems to dropout far more often than it ever did on either of the two MINI’s I’ve owned.

I have noticed this too. Drops much more than all of my previous satellite radio equipped cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've noticed between different cars that there appears to be differing amounts of buffering. One car will glitch when it loses a signal for a second, the other will take a lot longer. There is a tunnel-ish (it's a thoroughfare under a parking structure) on my way to work and the more sensitive one will stop playing XM/Sirius almost as soon as I'm under, the other car I'll be halfway through before it quits.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Thread re-titled.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yes too small memory buffer, my 2014 Mazda was much better. It used a linux computer and was easy to hack thru USB port with a USB to Ethernet adaptor and turn off the speed restricted touch screen so it could be used while driving and other settings.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,670 Posts

Yep, between that and the IMHO not very good programming on SiriusXM, I simply do not use it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I listen to XM a lot and enjoy it. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have maybe 7 FM favorites but 20+ XM favorites stored on my Giulia. XM far surpasses FM radio for quality and diversity of content. Here's what I'm constantly scrolling through when I'm in the car:

SiriusXM Hits 1
Venus
60's on 6
70's on 7
80's on 8
Pitbull's Globalization
Diplo's Revolution
SiriusXM Chill
Little Steven's Underground Garage
Classic Rewind
Deep Tracks
1st Wave
The Joint
Soul Town
Real Jazz
Siriously Sinatra
BB King's Bluesville
Symphony Hall (although my local public FM radio station has better classical music programming)

I don't have unlimited mobile data so streaming Spotify or Pandora or Tidal is not a viable option. And who has time to curate their own music playlists anymore? I put that effort into my vinyl LP collection but not everyday music. I have an old dumb iPod that's been sitting in a drawer for the past several years collecting dust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting. I don't think I had that problem on my Cadillac CTS wagon. The Giulia drops for about a second every now and then. I put about 800 miles on a Mercedes C300 service loaner while my sunroof motors were being replaced, and it does the same thing. Perhaps a cost cutting measure?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I'm having a funny issue.

As I'm using Sat radio, I have station "X" on. When I go to switch over to station "Z", the music of station "Z" plays, but the screen still shows that station "X" is playing.

I just restarted the car, and now, I'm getting a no connectivity issue popping up, yet satellite music still plays.

My assumption lies that this is a Sirius XM issue, and not one with the car.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
70 Posts
No idea if it is a smaller allotment of memory serving as a buffer for the signal or an issue with the shark fin antenna, but it does happen more frequently than in my previous vehicle (Lincoln MKZ). And that is when driving without overhead obstruction or in urban settings with tall buildings. That said, the satellite radio audio quality is much better on my Giulia than the Lincoln even though it is still highly compressed and not audiophile quality. FM HD is great sounding but has nowhere near the programming/genre selection of satellite radio. And it has commercials!

·
Registered
446 Posts
No signal inside parking garages for me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am losing the Sirius signal for a half hour or more at a time. Never had this problem with other cars.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I will say this. I had the issue where my system would reboot frequently. Brought it In For my first service and they decided to replace the radio. While the new one seems to have eliminated the reboot ?, I have noticed my XM stations cutting out more often. Not good when your screaming out some classic Beatles to your Wife and you get your solo moment.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I will say this. I had the issue where my system would reboot frequently. Brought it In For my first service and they decided to replace the radio. While the new one seems to have eliminated the reboot ?, I have noticed my XM stations cutting out more often. Not good when your screaming out some classic Beatles to your Wife and you get your solo moment.
Same thing used to happen to Ringo.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,214 Posts
Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine cuts out occasionally in my parking deck and garage, but usually I just notice it dropping while waiting at this one stop light under a bridge. Other than that it plays pretty consistently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts