Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
‘18 Giulia 2.0 Q4, completely stock.

I was doing some testing the other day, and the car was pretty much topped out at 120mph. Dynamic mode, foot to the floor, and just wouldn’t go any more. RPM wouldn’t climb past ~5k.

Read somewhere that it could be heat soak due to failure in the low temp cooling pump relay, and that data logs would help identify the issue.
Anyone else experience similar? Also, any recommendations for data log equipment?

Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
922 Posts
These cars don't have a lot of grunt up there but you should still hit 140 fairly easily. Where were you driving? Flat surface? Altitude? Temperature?

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These cars don't have a lot of grunt up there but you should still hit 140 fairly easily. Where were you driving? Flat surface? Altitude? Temperature?
Empty flat strip of highway at about 1000 ft elevation and about 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Just popped the hood and saw the intercooler coolant reservoir was almost empty… maybe the cause? Taking to the dealer now to get filled

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
922 Posts
Empty flat strip of highway at about 1000 ft elevation and about 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Just popped the hood and saw the intercooler coolant reservoir was almost empty… maybe the cause? Taking to the dealer now to get filled
Yeah that could do it. As for the future, you will need to get MES and OBD cables and SGW bypass to view everything. I highly recommend it. Let's you tinker a lot with the car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just popped the hood and saw the intercooler coolant reservoir was almost empty
If the resevoir was almost empty it might be seeing really high intake temps and retard the crap out of timing to prevent everything from going boom. Doing 120mph highway pulls with no coolant in the intercooler is not going to do much for the longevity of the car.

Where the coolant went might also potentially give you some bad news. If it leaked to atmosphere, no biggie. Things can be different if it went into the engine. Has it stunk like coolant when you park it recently? I have never looked around under the engine cover to see how these are setup, but some early examples of the F generation M3 had coolant leaking from the intake manifold into the engine and caused all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that could do it. As for the future, you will need to get MES and OBD cables and SGW bypass to view everything. I highly recommend it. Let's you tinker a lot with the car.
Sorry, I’m a bit of a newbie—what are MES and SGW? And where can I get these?

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the resevoir was almost empty it might be seeing really high intake temps and retard the crap out of timing to prevent everything from going boom. Doing 120mph highway pulls with no coolant in the intercooler is not going to do much for the longevity of the car.

Where the coolant went might also potentially give you some bad news. If it leaked to atmosphere, no biggie. Things can be different if it went into the engine. Has it stunk like coolant when you park it recently? I have never looked around under the engine cover to see how these are setup, but some early examples of the F generation M3 had coolant leaking from the intake manifold into the engine and caused all sorts of problems.
Yes definitely a bit cringe to open the hood to an almost empty intercooler coolant reservoir after being a bit… harsh on the car haha

I haven’t noticed any smell when parking it recently. I had a coolant line burst a few months ago and that smell was immediately noticeable. Also didn’t see any leaking coolant in the engine bay anywhere… maybe concerning?

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
922 Posts
Sorry, I’m a bit of a newbie—what are MES and SGW? And where can I get these?
@Alfissimo can help you out with that. It is software to connect to your OBD. The 2018+ Alfa's have a lockout where you cannot view and edit parameters, so you install an SGW which is just a bypass to get around the lockout. MES is MultiEcuScan which is the software to read/edit all the data.

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Alfissimo can help you out with that. It is software to connect to your OBD. The 2018+ Alfa's have a lockout where you cannot view and edit parameters, so you install an SGW which is just a bypass to get around the lockout. MES is MultiEcuScan which is the software to read/edit all the data.
Thank you! I’ll look into it

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The coolant doesn’t disappear without a reason. The turbo o-rings are a common issue. Your dealer will certainly know the issue.
Took it to the dealer and had them fill up the coolant. They said something along the lines of since I had the coolant line replaced a few months back, it was likely low due to air being caught in the system and eventually balancing out. I asked about any potential leaks into the engine or other places and they said there's no need for concern as the mechanic did not notice anything.

This seems like a common theme among the various dealerships I've been to (I live between a couple different places, so I regularly visit different dealers for maintenance). Either I'm crazy or they're all missing something, but I've been noticing huge variance in the power of the car for a while now. Sometimes the thing is quick as hell, and other times it feels slower than a Camry.

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think your car is just normal. 2.0 dies after 90mph. 60-130 takes them forever considering they can get to 60 pretty quickly.
The thing that's more concerning to me is that it almost felt like a limiter at 120mph. Like, foot to the floor for a solid minute at least at 120mph and the thing just wouldn't go anymore. Wasn't even at redline either. I noticed today, too, that even at 60mph uphill flooring it, the car just was barely climbing the RPMs past 5k.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Took it to the dealer and had them fill up the coolant. They said something along the lines of since I had the coolant line replaced a few months back, it was likely low due to air being caught in the system and eventually balancing out.
That seems plausible.

The next step would be datalogging or measuring acceleration times.
First suspect would be the relay for the low temp cooling circuit.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
922 Posts
The thing that's more concerning to me is that it almost felt like a limiter at 120mph. Like, foot to the floor for a solid minute at least at 120mph and the thing just wouldn't go anymore. Wasn't even at redline either. I noticed today, too, that even at 60mph uphill flooring it, the car just was barely climbing the RPMs past 5k.
Yeah unless it is like the steepest hill ever, that sounds concerning.

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That seems plausible.

The next step would be datalogging or measuring acceleration times.
First suspect would be the relay for the low temp cooling circuit.
Working on getting the proper datalogging equipment. For measuring acceleration times, what measures do you recommend? 30-100?

·
Registered
'18 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah unless it is like the steepest hill ever, that sounds concerning.
I mean, it's a steep hill but nothing out of the ordinary. The weird thing is that it only acts up like this every now and then. Even sometimes noon vs evening on the same day it's like a completely different car in terms of power.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,399 Posts
I mean, it's a steep hill but nothing out of the ordinary. The weird thing is that it only acts up like this every now and then. Even sometimes noon vs evening on the same day it's like a completely different car in terms of power.
This may indicate that the relays that are faulty could be intermittent.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Working on getting the proper datalogging equipment. For measuring acceleration times, what measures do you recommend? 30-100?
60-130 but if it can’t go past 120 I would run it until it seems to die off and look at logs at that point. The car will pull power when intakes IAT2 are over 130 degrees. So if it’s a hot day super humid you may be seeing the engine protect itself

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I know this may sound stupid but double check gas pedal to make sure nothing is impeding it like floor mats or a pedal booster connector sticking out and stopping pedal from full throttle. Also is there a speed limiter setting in infotainment? Like a valet mode?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts