Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, this car is frustrating in ways I never imagined...

It was snowing yesterday, temps dipped probably into the single-digits Farenheit last night, and the car was parked outside, so the windows were icy. It was probably 10ºF when I hit the remote start this morning.

After about 7 or 8 minutes, I went out to the car to see the rear window was not defrosted at all. The windscreen was, as the front defroster was blowing. Neither the steering wheel heater nor driver's front seat were heating either.

The manual states that climate control, steering and driver's seat heating should initiate with remote start in defined conditions, but it's not clear whether rear defroster is included. I guess the rear defrost is generally considered part of climate control, but it's not specifically referenced.

Obviously some part of my remote start functionality is inoperative since the the seat and steering wheel heating does not initiate with remote start in sub-freezing temperatures, so I'll have the dealer look into getting that fixed, but I'm curious as to whether other Giulia owners have functioning rear defrosters upon remote start?

I don't have much confidence that my dealer tech is fully up to speed on which functions should be operational when, so I want to be as informative and insistent as possible to make sure things get properly sorted.

I'm finding the remote starting feature frustrating and disappointing. The fob's activation range seems very short, the response time from the car is too long, and then it doesn't behave as described in the manual. For as big and heavy as that fob is, you'd expect it to be a great piece of kit, but there is not even an indicator light to affirm the request.

On the upside, the keyless entry seems to work well, irrespective of which of my pockets the fob is in. Small consolation, though.

Thanks.
Chaad

·
Registered
328 Posts
The manual states that climate control, steering and driver's seat heating should initiate with remote start in defined conditions, but it's not clear whether rear defroster is included. I guess the rear defrost is generally considered part of climate control, but it's not specifically referenced.

Obviously some part of my remote start functionality is inoperative since the the seat and steering wheel heating does not initiate with remote start in sub-freezing temperatures, so I'll have the dealer look into getting that fixed, but I'm curious as to whether other Giulia owners have functioning rear defrosters upon remote start?
The general consensus has been that there are features Alfa has advertised in the manual that never made it to production level. Remote start won't activate heated seats. steering wheel, or defroster. It seems the only time remote start activates any climate control is in the summer when temps are high, AC will come on automatically.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I’ve not seen anything about inop rear defrost with remote start anywhere, but I’m new to the forums. Obviously there is no sane reason the rear def should not start with remote (in cold temp), but no one’s does, eh?

Are there model year differences in what works, maybe? My ‘18 does fire the windscreen defrost with remote start in the cold; I just got it, so have not had chance to see if AC blows on hot temp remote start, though.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
OMG Chaadster. You already knew this as it's been discussed in another thread where you were drama complaining quite a lot. So why do you feel the need to start a new drama complain thread here? Do you just want the attention? Have you contacted Alfa Romeo about any of this yet? You seem to have all kinds of time to complain, yet you never seem to make the effort to contact them about any of it.

It seems to me you clearly bought the wrong car. Either make the effort to contact Alfa and help to get these "issues" sorted out, or find out why they don't work (there may actually be a genuine reason, as clearly they had intended to include them). If you don't want to make the effort to do that, then chalk it up to a 'horrible' mistake and sell it. The Giulia as it is, is obviously not the motoring experience for you.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OMG Chaadster. You already knew this as it's been discussed in another thread where you were drama complaining quite a lot. So why do you feel the need to start a new drama complain thread here? Do you just want the attention? Have you contacted Alfa Romeo about any of this yet? You seem to have all kinds of time to complain, yet you never seem to make the effort to contact them about any of it.

It seems to me you clearly bought the wrong car. Either make the effort to contact Alfa and help to get these "issues" sorted out, or find out why they don't work (there may actually be a genuine reason, as clearly they had intended to include them). If you don't want to make the effort to do that, then chalk it up to a 'horrible' mistake and sell it. The Giulia as it is, is obviously not the motoring experience for you.
I recall mentioning that I noticed one time it appeared not to be defrosting, and saying that I'd have to check it out. I do not recall any discussion, let alone definitive explanation, of how the rear defroster works with remote start. You are probably conflating my "drama complaining" about the seat heaters not working with remote start with the defroster issue. Two different things, one of which is supposed to work according to the manual, the other not specifically mentioned in the manual, but hard to understand why the windscreen would defrost but the rear wouldn't.

Do you have an answer to any of the questions I posed in the OP? If not, you know what you need to do...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I recall mentioning that I noticed one time it appeared not to be defrosting, and saying that I'd have to check it out. I do not recall any discussion, let alone definitive explanation, of how the rear defroster works with remote start. You are probably conflating my "drama complaining" about the seat heaters not working with remote start with the defroster issue. Two different things, one of which is supposed to work according to the manual, the other not specifically mentioned in the manual, but hard to understand why the windscreen would defrost but the rear wouldn't.

Do you have an answer to any of the questions I posed in the OP? If not, you know what you need to do...
No, but then you know what to do... contact them. Have you even tried to do that yet? There is a common theme here if you look at it. The front defroster is a fan blowing hot air; the seats, steering wheel and rear heaters are electric heating units. There may be a safety issue, or a legal liability issue, or both as to why the electric heating units are not turning on unless you are actually in the car. Have you tried contacting them yet to get the answers you want?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sorry, but mine activates the seat and wheel whenever the temp drops below 40 degrees and it’s been very dependable. My rear window defroster comes on sometimes, which I’ve never noticed a temperature when it does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have no problem with mine. Ther seat steering wheel and rear defrost come on with remote start if under 40 degrees. Works perfectly every time. Don't know if there is option to tell it to turn those things on or not in settings

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sorry, but mine activates the seat and wheel whenever the temp drops below 40 degrees and it’s been very dependable. My rear window defroster comes on sometimes, which I’ve never noticed a temperature when it does.
What year is your car?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had mine at the dealer for an unrelated issue and complained about this. They did an update and voila, now it is working.

I'm not sure of the actual temperature or if the darn thing also uses the front camera but it seems that when I have buildup on the windshield and use remote start, the car starts and turns on front and rear defrosters. Still nothing on the seat and steering wheel but I never really figured those would work; although thermostatically controlled.

I'll search my paperwork to see if they indicated what update.

Car is a 2017 built in June 2017.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts