Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I ordered my alfa early this year and got it in April. It was max specced with all options at MSRP. So far at 7000 miles it has been a fantastic car with no problems. I am a die hard alfa fan but I am also located in upstate New York. I admit that I did not consider the rear wheel drive and low suspension to handle winter roads upstate. Now, I am thinking of switching to something more practical. What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Keep it and get a Suburu for the snowy days.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
How long have you lived in New York to not have considered AWD in a car? You will get killed on depreciation now that 2018s are around the corner. Also with the ceramic brakes will be tough sell to all except a diehard which i assume you have since it has all options.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Where in upstate NY? (I'm originally from Rochester and went to college in the region.) Some areas receive a lot more snow than others.

Of course you could always move.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
378 Posts
Your question is valid, but I agree with Ibehardnock2001 - usually one considers weather prior to purchasing, especially a vehicle like the QV. Options such as winter tires would be good and Tirerack.com is a great resource for winter wheels/tires, but not guaranteed to get you unstuck as it's not AWD. Maybe consider adding another vehicle that is AWD or an SUV? Great time to lease a Stelvio - If you're going to spend money anyway, maybe work a deal to get a 2 year lease on the Stelvio, and keep the QV!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I'm not sure which car you have? Even with rear wheel drive, get a good set of 4 snow tires on some affordable rims for winter and swap them yourself. My Miata has a new set of Pirelli Sotto Zeros and they grip like a polar bear. At least two trips up the driveway after work in a couple inches of snow and no slips at all. Ride height lowered to about 4 inches at the front splitter.

Reactions: lowlight and FNM

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I live in Long Island....Bought a Quad cause I wanted a Quad...SNOW BE DAMNED...putting on all seasons this week...if it's bad...I'll use the Ghibli....

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think you'll get killed on resale (hope I'm wrong). Most dealerships now have at least 1 or 2 Q's on their floor, you won't have many if any customers in your area due to the same concerns you now have and the higher mileage.

Why don't you see how much the Alfa dealer you purchased the car from will do a trade for a Q4? Probably end up with a loaded one + perhaps a little cash.

or... buy a Subaru

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
I live in Long Island....Bought a Quad cause I wanted a Quad...SNOW BE DAMNED...putting on all seasons this week...if it's bad...I'll use the Ghibli....
Dontcha think they can wait until, say, October or November?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Want to get used to driving the car with the all seasons.....not going on the track so the Pirellis are overkill for me.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Want to get used to driving the car with the all seasons.....not going on the track so the Pirellis are overkill for me.....
I still say (as others have mentioned) get 2nd wheel set for winter tires. Swapping is a pain, but QV will be optimized for warm & cold weather, not neutered in all conditions. That's just my $0.02.

And OP, just get a 2nd car. Lots of Subaru mentions in this thread...how about a pre-owned Evo?!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I still say (as others have mentioned) get 2nd wheel set for winter tires. Swapping is a pain, but QV will be optimized for warm & cold weather, not neutered in all conditions. That's just my $0.02.

I actually have two sets of factory dark five hole rims (I bought the other set from a forum member on this site who switched to the Light Technicas)....But because I really don't want to use the P Zeros, I have already sold them and I'm keeping the other set of rims in case of rim damage, etc.....and having driven Michelin Pilots on other cars, don't think the Quad will be "neutered" as I'm just not that aggressive of a driver....But in cold weather, I won't have to worry about my P Zeros "warming up".....

·
Registered
641 Posts

I actually have two sets of factory dark five hole rims (I bought the other set from a forum member on this site who switched to the Light Technicas)....But because I really don't want to use the P Zeros, I have already sold them and I'm keeping the other set of rims in case of rim damage, etc.....and having driven Michelin Pilots on other cars, don't think the Quad will be "neutered" as I'm just not that aggressive of a driver....But in cold weather, I won't have to worry about my P Zeros "warming up".....
I'm very interested in hearing about your experience with all-weathers, Alfaholico. It sounds like you went with Michelin Pilot Sports, yes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts